_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 7 April 2011

Skirts For the Hip Heavy

Vogue Patterns is having another - three day - $4.99 pattern sale even though they just had a better sale. Last time, I was too busy to notice which is why I can't remember the price although I know it was lower. Oh well. This time, I ordered several patterns because - LOL - we all know how badly I need more patterns!

If you looked in my closet, the most extensive categories would be sweaters and skirts. I never wear jackets or dress pants. My wardrobe is mostly comprised of jeans, knit tops, sweaters, and skirts. I find these comfortable and easy to mix and match. They're also easier to fit on my figure type - a bottom heavy triangle.

Beside each Vogue pattern is a figure flattery icon. This is meant - I hope - to provide guidance as to the suitability of the pattern to your figure type rather than a firm yes or no because - in my opinion - it's highly subjective. I've often wish I knew what criteria they were using when assigning suitability.

.


Although Vogue 1170 is supposedly suitable to triangles, even the model looks heavy in this image. One of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard about skirt length is that your skirt should not be wider than it is long. Hmm... Yes... This is not a pattern that I'd wear.

.


While the length of Vogue 7910 is IMHO more flattering, on me it appears matronly and makes me feel fat. Last year, there were numerous skirts this length in the stores and every time I tried one on, I returned it to the shelf. It's especially bad in crisp cottons.

.


The longer version at far right of Vogue 8583 is a skirt style I wear often although usually with a bit more shaping like a trumpet skirt. I've been seeing this style in stores this spring which makes me giggle because I wear it so often that I'm bored with it and yet it's a go to style for me, so go to that my friend Caroline and I have had several talks about how to either get out of this rut or perk up the party.

.


Apparently Vogue 8672 above is not suitable to my figure type while Vogue 8697 below is suitable. Yes, there are differences but they are so minor that I have to wonder why one is okay and the other is not. I wear this style all the time, particularly in winter with tights. It's so important to not be a slave to fashion - even the fashion flattery icons at Vogue - and to invent it in your own way.

.


Maybe it's not about look better. Maybe it's about feel better. What do you think? While you might have an opinion on how I look and whether it's suitable, I know that I feel better in fitted over flared skirts. The combination of the two...

.


... like Vogue 7937 makes me feel feminine and flirty. I've sewn the version far left four times now and enjoy wearing each one. That said...

.


... there are times when I want to get out of my comfort zone and try something completely different. I ordered Vogue 8737 for that reason. It could be fun, fun, and comfortable for summer. The t-shirt is cute as well although it's asymmetrical. I have trouble with that. We'll see.



Here's the technical drawing so you can see how it's done. I'm not sure about high contrast fabrics. I think it could be just as effective with low contrast or changes in texture. If not as effective, it would be emotionally more comfortable for me to wear. I'm still struggling with the skirt I started a few weeks ago. The black polka dot against the white print feels way too sharp.

.


And then... there's Vogue 1248 by AKO. We can all see why this pattern would be unsuitable to hip heavy triangles and yet... there's something so fun about it that it makes me want to play up my shape for a change. Even though I've ordered it, this is one pattern that runs the risk of sitting forever in the drawer unless I can be daring enough to step this far out of my comfort zone.

Blogger is still being annoying about spacing. It's better but not great. I'll figure that out another day. Right now, I'm off to get dressed and decide what to do with my day. I know it involves changing sheets and folding towels. After that... we'll see.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - fashion fun

2 comments:

  1. That last skirt (IMHO) could look very nice, sans the big poofs on the sides. You could start with the poofs, then take them off, if they really looked awful. No?

    ReplyDelete
  2. smile here, just threw my sheets in the washer, great minds think alike. Unfortunately, I have gotten away from skirts, lazy I guess. My go to winter clothes are usually trousers of some sort because I get so cold. I have some skirts in the pipeline for summer though. Anxious to see how you interpret these. Since I tend to be very understated, style-wise, I am more than curious.

    ReplyDelete