_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 28 April 2011

Copy Cat Clothing

When Howard and I were out for lunch the other day, one of the waitresses and two of the customers had look alike Kate hairdos. I remember when everyone was wearing a Diana look. Why is there always such a rush to be someone else?

The conversation on You Look Fab yesterday was about wearing or not wearing memorable pieces. The conversation on Taffeta Darlings was about which designer Kate will wear to her wedding and how that designer will be an overnight success with a mad rush for copies. There's even a $19.99 version of the royal ring. Copy cat accessories to go with copy cat clothing and copy cat hairdos for a copy cat life!

Recently, there was a segment on the news about Kate's engagement dress and how it's selling out time and again. I haven't looked but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a copy cat pattern. Remember Michelle's inaugural dress and Simplicity's 2552 and Butterick's 5396 look alike patterns.

My wardrobe is not large enough to be filled with memorable pieces. I have a few, mostly in the form of accessories, and the rest are basic, fairly conservative, mix and match, pieces. I'm working to change that and attempting to not only build up the basics but also acquire more memorable pieces.

Dressing MY best is interesting, challenging, frought with mistakes, fun. I want to be me, not a copy cat, not someone else. I have a hard time understanding why someone would want to wear clothing that so obviously emulates another's style. I'd much rather develop my own look. It takes time - more time than I'd like - because one needs basics as well as enough memorable pieces to rotate them with sufficient days in-between that it doesn't look like you're wearing the same thing every day. I guess that's part of the fun of the journey.

How do you feel about copy cat clothing?


When my oldest son graduated, he told me the night before the ceremonies that I would be walking him in, which did NOT give me nearly enough time to put together an outfit. Luckily, I know better this time. The ceremonies are on June 3rd. This is my top. Next, I'll start on the skirt and unless something goes dreadfully wrong, I'll be ready well in advance.



If you don't already have a silk organza pressing cloth, this is definitely a studio tool to invest in. I like how easily I can see through the cloth to what I'm pressing below while at the same time it provides protection. With knits, I use it extensively for adding the stay tape to the neckline and shoulders and fusi-knit to the hems as well as for pressing up the hems. The cloth allows me to work from the right side using a slightly higher heat and steam without the iron sticking to the fabric.



This time, I folded the pleats right sides together and stitched 1/2" from the fold to form a 1" pleat that extended 1" into the garment's body. As you can see, I use clips to mark matching points.


The pleats stick up on the inside when finished and can then be pressed in the desired direction. In this case, upward toward the neckline. On the right side...





... they lay nice and flat. This fabric was strange. It's sticky and loves to curl and adhere to itself. I fought with it the whole time and think this version of the V8390 would have benefited from the lined fronts. Oh well. They're not. The fabric also has slightly less stretch than the paisley version from yesterday so I used a 1/2" as opposed to a 5/8" seam allowance at the sides to provide just a bit more ease. It fits nicely. My son said it was "okay" - LOL.

Alexandra wrote - It seems to me that how one defines just because is the issue here. What exactly do you mean when you say you want to write "just for the pure joy of writing"? Are you saying you want to enjoy the process of moving a pen around on paper forming words? Or that you want to write without an audience in mind? I think anytime one puts thoughts on paper, there is an implied audience. It may be oneself, a specific person or persons, an unknown someone who stops by to read it, or perhaps an imaginary friend. You said "the type of writing I love is highly organized and illustrated how-to and self help? I would argue that that is exactly what you do here on your blog. Maybe it is not as detailed and thorough as you would like (though you must have extremely high standards if you think your blog is not detailed and thorough enough), but then the question is, what keeps you from making it more to your liking?

LOL - you're making me think hard. That's dangerous. You know how I love to over think things. I thought about your questions most of yesterday. I'm not sure that a person can 100% detach from results, there are always some expectations involved, however, I write this blog for the pure joy of writing. I have ideas and want to formulate and share them and while I enjoy the comments a great deal, I've learned to continue writing even when there aren't any. That's a huge contrast to my previous blog which was all about promoting my business and my art and meant to generate income. In that context, pure joy of writing means it's for me and not for work or to make money. I'm not sure how long you've been reading my blog but if you were to read back you'd hear me talk about what I call my prostitution phase when all of my creativity was for sale and ceased to be fun or soul nourishing. Making the shift was...

... really difficult. One thing I learned through my business is that I'm quite a workaholic and have strong entrepreneurial tendencies. I think when I'm using the phrase just because it primarily refers to doing something because I want to for me as opposed to earning an income from it. It's very easy for me to start doing something for fun and then turn it into a money making opportunity and that would be the main reason why I'm not writing a book. I've done it before. I know how much work is involved and I know the way I think and I am quite sure that I'd start out just because and suddenly I'd be looking for opportunities to market, publish, and sell the work. I don't want to go in that direction now if ever again. It would only be if I did want to publish or if I knew for sure that I could actually do the writing for myself knowing it would never go anywhere. With my personality, that would be unbelievably difficult.

I am making strides though. As strange as it may seem, I'm working at Fabricland not for the money or even the fabric but because I wanted to get out, socialize, interact with other people who sew, and talk about my favourite subject. I'm vastly underpaid for my knowledge. I'm vastly underpaid when compared to other employment opportunities that I've had. What intrigues me is that I don't even think about that because the work works for me.

I laughed when you said that I must have high standards. Well... yes... actually I do. A few of my previous students read this blog and might comment on the level of detail in my patterns and workshops. I'm exceptionally thorough. With the blog, I leave a lot of details out by choice because otherwise there would be too much to read at one time - a complete workshop in each posting. Reader's eyes would roll back and they'd click away because it would take too long, there'd be too much.

One of my art instructors used to read my previous blog. She wrote me a few times to tell me that my postings were too long, that I'd talked about several subjects, and that I should have made the postings shorter and less involved. I ignored her advice. It was my blog and I'd do it my way especially when I knew that I was already leaving out details that I could have talked about. Leaving details out keeps the blog readable - I hope - and in turn keeps readers. It also provides future topics. That's one of the reasons I like comments. They let me know what readers would like to know more about. If it's something I want to discuss, I'm happy to.

The fun thing about writing a workshop or a book on a specific topic is the way you can build from an initial thought such as what could I do with a T & T t-shirt pattern through to a complete guide that walks the reader step by step through an array of possibilities from developing the pattern to simple alterations to major changes to gourmet tips to customize your sewing to... to... to... My mind goes there so easily but as I said, I've been there done that already and right now, I want to spend my time on me as selfish as that sounds. I want to develop my signature style, my t & t patterns, my wardrobe of classic and memorable pieces and in the process I want to share the journey because blogging is one way of maintaining my love of writing just because. I hope that helps to answer the question. Thanks for making me think.

This morning, I'm off to get my nails undone. It's another learning curve on my part. With my hair, I can only have a short haircut if I'm willing to get it trimmed every three weeks. Since I'm not, I maintain a style that can grow out or one that I can trim myself in-between cuts. That's not as scary as it sounds. I used to be a hairstylist. Apparently, my nails are the same. I love them the day they're done and by five days later I want them off not only because new growth is showing but because I feel trapped in my nails. How weird is that? I find myself irritated by the color and the weight and feel like I'm sweating under my nails. So strange. This time...

... I'm going to get "regular" polish so that I can remove it and trim my nails myself and go for a manicure every two or three weeks. That way I'll enjoy it more. Since they are more durable, I'll get the gel nails for events and will book an appointment to have them removed a few days later. I guess fun and flirty nails are not going to be part of my signature style. Perhaps rings - LOL. I do so love accessories.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - though provoking questions that offer me the opportunity to learn (or confirm) more about myself

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a copycat dresser. But I think that Kate's style is going to influence what is currently fashionable in the same way that Diana's did.
    I like looking at celebrities clothing and deciding if I like it for myself or not, then adapting something to my body shape, social needs and preference.
    Seeing clothing on real bodies is so much better than seeing it on models in magazines or on runways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate who?? Truthfully maybe they think that if you look kind of like a celebrity then maybe they will also get the celebrity's supposed "good luck", advantages, beauty, wealth etc? Personally I do not envy those poor young people having to live in that Royal Fishbowl!

    Of course you over-think things, Myrna, but that's ok if you need to do that. This is your blog and you can write what you want to! You do have a readership anyhow, just in case you need a reminder. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always gone my own way with clothing. Some is sewn and most is bought OTR when on sale.

    I have been reading your blog since you were still affiliated with Q.U. The blog has undergone several changes as your life changed. It still is something I ready every day.

    A small piece of information for you; if you have special nails put on for a special occasion, don't pay someone else to take them off. Purchase some remover that is specifically designed to remove the special nails and save some money.

    Keep on writing for yourself and your audience will still continue to drop buy and see what is happening in your life and what you are doing with your abilities.
    I have always gone my own way with clothing. Some is sewn and most is bought OTR when on sale.

    I have been reading your blog since you were still affiliated with Q.U. The blog has undergone several changes as your life changed. It still is something I ready every day.

    A small piece of information for you; if you have special nails put on for a special occasion, don't pay someone else to take them off. Purchase some remover that is specifically designed to remove the special nails and save some money.

    Keep on writing for yourself and your audience will still continue to drop buy and see what is happening in your life and what you are doing with your abilities.

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  4. On copycat clothing: I think a lot depends on whether one is copying details to use with one's own style (yes, please, anytime), copying a whole garment down to the lining color (preferably not, but if it fits and flatters the new wearer, who am I to judge), or copying someone else's wardrobe and haircut and manner of speech (time to check into the nearest psych ward).

    On writing: You said "...all of my creativity was for sale and ceased to be fun or soul nourishing. Making the shift was really difficult." It would seem that a shift from crappy to good (or even to less crappy) should be easy. So how come it wasn't? Is it because you're having to hold back the entrepreneur in you? Or because you're essentially working for free (not generating income)? Or one of those creature of habit things? Or something else entirely?

    On nails: Wouldn't it be nice if nails could be like a thought-controlled chameleon? You think "French manicure" and poof! your nails look just so. That's how mine would look. And I would also like inflatable breasts, you know, so I could deflate them before running on the treadmill and inflate them before going out on a date. I've been telling Mother Nature for years now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really understand the need to wear Exactly the same thing that some celebrity (or anyone for that matter) has worn, but clearly it's a driving force in fashion. Otoh, there are some indelible images that make a difference in that I choose to wear...for example, I didn't care for Princess Diana's gown when I stayed up all night to see it in the 80s, but that train must have imbedded itself in my mind because when I got married over a decade later, nothing but a long train would do. Not as long as hers, for certain, but Plenty Big I assure you.;-) And on a daily basis I still note trends or fashions and think about if they're something I like on other people, or something I think might look good on me. If it's the latter, I get a kick out of finding or making something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen that there is a Princess Kate doll already -- complete with a perfect mini duplicate of the dress? Unbelievable. It's too intricate to be copied so quickly, I think. The back folds and draping especially. I'm thinking one lucky manufacturer struck a deal to do the doll/dress a while ago. They must have had to sign an agreement to keep their mouths shut until the big reveal.

    ReplyDelete