_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 15 April 2011

Silk Noil

Walking across the parking lot yesterday morning, I was accosted by a woman urgently inquiring do you work there while flipping her hand toward Fabricland. I'd barely said yes when she wanted to know what time do they open? There was a rush for the door. The morning was unbelievably busy. Apparently two and a half weeks without fabric is two and a half weeks too many for a lot of people. I'm working again tomorrow. We'll see if things have tapered off or picked up by then.




Wednesday night, when I left work at 4:30, there was an entire section of the store still not set up - the fashion fabric. With Howard out of town, I didn't have the option of staying. I had to pick up Kyle from his music lesson. Even so, I felt incredibly guilty walking out the door. Some of the women worked until 11:o0 that night and were back early in the morning. We were still sweeping the floors and cleaning the potty when the doors opened. By the end of the day, some fabrics still weren't on tables yet and there are almost no signs. Luckily, everything is 50% off for members and most shoppers were members.




My subconscious must have been organizing. I woke up at 4:00 Thursday morning wondering if the rulers had been put into the cutting tables yet and had some one put out pens and scissors and was the cash register set up and how would we deal with people complaining if all of this wasn't in place and... and... and... Really. I'm not in charge. Who was I to be worrying at four in the morning. I did it anyway - LOL. That was the end of sleep for me.




One of the displays is full of silk noil or raw silk, whichever you call it. This is one of my favourite fabrics. It hasn't been too popular in the past few years so I'm thrilled to see it again and especially in such beautiful colors. My three favourites are fuchsia, purple, and teal. I'm going to buy one to make...




... my favourite Burda 8213 skirt for my son's commencement ceremonies. I'll be walking him in. When my older son graduated, the attending parents wore a wide range of clothing from shorts to dressed up. It's not in me to wear shorts to an occasion like this and besides, it's also my birthday so I'll be wearing a skirt and top. I already know this pattern fits, I love the style, I love silk noil, and I think the fresh, bright colors are fabulous. It's a doable combination.




The weather at that time of year could be really hot or really not. I'm debating a sleeveless tank like McCall's 5661 (top left which would also allow for an amazing pendant necklace) and perhaps a bolero or sweater to go with in case it's cool. I know I want a knit top and a cheerful color combo but I'm debating the style because a top with three quarter sleeves like Simplicity 4076 below would mean one garment while a tank and cardigan means two and my time is too short to be adding extra ideas.




This morning, Laurie, the woman who is going to cook for us, is coming over to look at recipe books and talk allergies. I'm so excited. Last night, I dragged myself home from work and there was no meal waiting. Next week, there will be. I also have an appointment with the Naturopath and although the plan may not be one I really truly want to follow (like pureed foods) I really truly want to get past these allergies so I'm willing to look at whatever option will work. Hopefully, he has something encouraging to say.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - opening day has come and is over - finally and YES YES - and perhaps my sewing can find some sort of normalcy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment