_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 21 July 2011

Completely Irresponsible

Just like Tuesday, yesterday was a lazy day. I slept in, moved slow, went for lunch with a friend, re-drafted the blouse pattern, sewed in the afternoon and again in the evening with another friend, and baked salmon for dinner. It was a lovely day. I'm on a sewcation - being completely irresponsible in a good way. I'm working limited hours, the men are away, and I have the house to myself for most of this week. It's FABULOUS.




Last night, I started another McCall's 6035 blouse using this rayon print. There was barely enough to cut out the pieces and not enough for the sleeves with the ties so this version will have three quarter sleeves. There wasn't room to play with the print either but - luckily - no blotches appeared in the wrong spots. The larger ones are staggered nicely, not on the bust point, and not side by side across the seams or center front. Perfect.




I rarely wear prints and when I do the ones that work are typically soft and unstructured. I'm still trying to figure out which ones will work. I don't always guess right. I learned about prints when I first read The Triumph Of Individual Style. This is an excellent style book. The authors compare women's figures to famous paintings. It's a completely different way to look at figure flattery. I've learned a tremendous amount from the text. It's almost time to read it again and see what new thoughts make themselves known. I always learn something different on the next go through.




I mentioned in yesterday's posting that I sew the collar stand on from the inside. This is the stage the blouse was at last night when I went to bed and illustrates what I meant. Next, I'll attach the collar and then sew the other side of the collar stand on before hand stitching the edge in place below the collar. I serge the collar stand on to make a neat condensed edge to press against. It just works better.

Carrie wrote - Where do you hear about the workshops you take? I'd love to take some especially with Pati Palmer. Is there really a workshop that you know of on "figure flattery"? I have a really hard time knowing what looks good on me, and could use the help.

Workshops with Pati Palmer can be found on this page of the Palmer/Pletch website. I took the pant fitting workshop a few years ago and found it by exploring their site which I'd visited because of their books. Sometimes, I'll look up a specific instructor or an author to see what they might offer. Sometimes, I explore a topic or search by date or location to see what's available. I found an affordable class with Sandra Betzina through signing up for a bra making workshop at the Snip & Stitch. They bring her in each year along with Ron Collins. I met him in that first workshop and have continued to take classes since. He teaches - individually without Sandra - at this shop three or four times a year.

Any time I read about a workshop on a blog, I'll follow the link if one is provided and keep track of that information because you just never know where and when you might want to take a class. I did read about one on figure flattery the other day and I didn't write it down and I can't remember where I saw it because it was in England and that's a bit too far for me to go. For now, I've ordered the Palmer/Pletsch DVD Looking Good and am interested to see what it has to say. The book was excellent. Eventually a workshop will appear.

I'm working four hours this afternoon which should give me time to finish up the blouse depending on whether I clean house today or not. At the moment I don't feel like it, I'd rather sew and there's not too much left to do. I'm thinking about what garment to make to go with plus it's time for another project at work. While many of you are experiencing a heat wave, where I live, it's been rainy for weeks on end and so not our usual weather. I've given up on summer and have started working on my fall wardrobe. I'll be ahead of the game this way.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the ability to give to famine relief - one day, it could be us.

3 comments:

  1. My sewcation is next week - my husband is taking my 5 year old camping. I'll still be working a 40 hour week, but when I get home, it will be all sewing, all the time!
    And now I know where all our rain has been hiding! I'm in southern Ontario, and it's 45C right now - and not expected to get much better until at least early next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the "Looking Good" book, and enjoy it. I love workshops. And I would trade our heat from your dismal, rainy weather, any day. I do lose my creativity when it's so hot, even though I'm in AC. Somehow my brain knows it's hot and miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Myrna, for the info and links on the classes! I really appreciate it. Do let us all know what you think of the video after you watch it.

    At least the weather is good for staying inside and sewing. It is cool where I am in the Seattle area too. Thankfully, I actually like it cool. I feel for those of you who are baking.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete