_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 13 July 2011

The Gemini Effect

Yesterday, I watched It's In The Details - a DVD from Palmer/Pletsch. In one segment, Marta illustrates how to use fusible tape to stabilize the angled neckline of a wrap top. She just places the tape down along the edge and fuses it in place. There's no measuring the pattern to see what length the tape should be or to check if the bias neckline has stretched. There's no shortening the tape by 1/4" to prevent gaposis. I found myself talking to the screen saying no, there's a better way. Sandra says to....

... meaning Sandra Betzina who I learned the stabilizing/gaposis trick from. Technical tricks intrigue me. I love learning how to sew better. In my early twenties, I started taking workshops and ever since then I've kept up by reading articles, books, and blogs, watching shows and DVDs, and taking increasingly high end workshops. Get me started on my favorite subject and most people's eyes glaze over and roll back. They find me intimidating even when I'm trying to hold back and not overload them. There are only a few people that I can talk to at my level - which is an arrogant sounding statement although I don't mean it that way. It just is what it is.




Gwensews wrote - How about starting a sewing guild. Not beginning classes on how to sew a t-shirt, but seeking creative talented people. A couture sewing group to share ideas, have challenges among yourselves? I belong to a couple of groups like this, which always inspires me and turns my "beigeness" into a happy color!

Your groups sound fabulous. I've wanted to be involved in something like this for quite a while so I tried exactly that about two years ago along with the owner of the sewing center downtown. We advertised, invited people generally and specifically, and met every other week for six months. We found that people were unwilling to commit. Attendance was hit and miss to the point that it wasn't worth our while being there and when people did show up, they didn't bring any show & tell. They came to be inspired. Hmm... yes... well... they also needed to be inspiring to really make it work.

As well, neither of us wanted to teach (especially for free) and we found ourselves constantly in that role. Of all the people I know in town, this shop owner is the closest to my skill level however, while I'm constantly exploring new techniques, she continues to use techniques she learned over twenty years ago, which means that I'm often teaching her something new.

I have given out my name and number to several people who come in to work (Fabricland) but so far, no one has taken me up on my offer to get together. It makes sense. While I can see that they are creative, they have no way of judging how talented I am and whether it would be worth their while to get together. I've wondered about an on-line group, something small, and closed, and fairly structured. I'm not sure if that would work.




sdBev wrote - Are you experiencing Divine Discontent? It's the urge that says "Life has more for you. Seek."

I've never heard of this Bev. What a fun phrase. If it refers to a big change kind of thing then no, that's not what I'm experiencing. What I'm looking for is more along the lines of a finishing detail. It's a button, a trim, a necklace, a handbag - a small something to add to what exists rather than an overhaul. I've done enough overhauling in the last few years to be more than happy to give that a break.

On my coffee/lunch dates yesterday, my friends and I talked about this and they both thought that reading more challenging books and sewing more creatively would be a good place to start and see where that leads. Since I don't want to drive myself (or them) crazy trying to figure out what's going on and what the right answer might be, that seems like a good idea.

The detail at the top is of the necklace I'm wearing in the next picture. It's a birthday present from my friend Caroline that arrived late due to our recent mail strike. It's perfectly me. Caroline lives 2,100 miles north of me. We both grew up here and met when we were sixteen. We've been sewing, fabric shopping, and taking workshops together ever since, even after she moved away. We get together once or twice a year, know each other very well, and are very much at the same level. I absolutely LOVE talking sewing with her. Her eyes do not glaze over and roll back which is also what she loves about talking sewing with me.




Above, the earlier image is converted to a grey scale. As you can see, everything I'm wearing, including the pink top so many of you loved along with the also much admired dark jeans, is in the medium/dark range with little contrast. When I read The Triumph of Individual Style, authors Carla Mason Mathis and Helen Villa Connor talked about how if your features were small and soft and close together you would need to wear prints that were small and soft and close together. That made sense to me.

Recently, I heard someone talking about having low contrast features (eyes, hair, skin) and how that best correlated with low contrast fabrics and especially prints. Again, that made sense. I've known for a while that prints overwhelm me and recently - with my trip to Crazy River - noted how too much texture and/or too much fabric also overwhelms me. Apparently, my features are easily overwhelmed which is ironic since I'm an outspoken person with strong opinions that I'm not hesitant to voice - which means I have low contrast features and a high contrast personality. I've begun referring to this as...

... The Gemini Effect. It's another one of those seemingly split personality aspects of my whole being to keep in mind while sewing so that what I wear supports my features but also my personality. I'll pay even more attention to the details allowing them to be interesting, surprising, mysterious, colorful, whatever is needed so that it's not a total shock when I open my mouth and have something to say. I'd rather it was more of a yes, I could tell she was the kind of have an opinion sort of thing.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - ongoing learning

5 comments:

  1. I was nodding in agreement throughout this post, although that often happens when I read your blog. :)
    Before we left Texas I also put together a little group of women to sew, but I had a similar experience - commitment wasn't there (although there was a lot of frustrating talk, but little action) and I ended up the teacher and seldom got to actually sew myself. While I didn't mind the teaching part at first, as people moved and changed, I found myself doing the same basics over and over and over. I just wanted to ask, Do you people even own a sewing book??? Why are you asking me this basic question?? There is SO MUCH MORE!!! I too love getting out there and finding the better way. I'm glad that even though we might not have a local community that we can turn to for that, at least we there are so many creative bloggers out there who are willing to share their secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful necklace. How great to have a friend that knows your and your style so well.

    Um … shouldn't it be The Gemini Effect (not A-ffect)? Or was it intentional and I just missed the subtlety? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You oft expressed a relgious or spirtual side to your nature and I assumed you had heard of Divine Discontent before. It is different things to different people. It may be a big change but more often its a series of smaller interesting events i.e. finding the perfect print for the bathroom vs ripping the bathroom back to the studs and refinishing. It's a small urge that keeps one looking towards life with interest and expectancy. When nothing interesting presents itself, well disappointment or blandness sets in and we don't really know what's wrong with us. Nothing really. We just want more of life. So we Go; Seek; and attempt to Find. We forget though that it can be just as satisfying to concentrate on the goodness at hand; giving thanks for daily blessings (which you do in your Daily Gratitude paragraph) and blessing all things around us.

    Sorry for the sermon, I only wanted to explain to what I was referring. I guess I went a little overboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your last few paragraphs on scale and contrast really intrigued me--an EUREKA moment! Glad you added it to your "seeking" post. Thank you. L. Weimer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, now that I think I am exactly opposite. My frame and features are much higher contrast and I am usually classified as a high contrast summer on the color scales, and my height and strong features, are also well suited to more drama in my dress. This fits my style, clothing wise, but I am always trying to tone it down because I would say my personality is much more low contrast and interested in avoiding confrontation and attention. I'm always trying to balance the two.

    ReplyDelete