_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Not To Be For Me

Work starts at 7:00 this morning. It's inventory time. We've been prepping since the beginning of June and today is the day that we weigh and count and record everything - fabric wise that is. Next week is the notions inventory. That's why I've been working so many hours lately. By the middle of next week, it should all be done and things will go back to normal. YES YES !




I'm wearing these jeans although these pictures were taken last Friday. The back image above is with a cropped cardigan and the front image below is with the sleeveless tank top with the higher neck that I mentioned last week. In this soft knit, it's not nearly as strangling as a regular turtle neck. The low armhole bothers me more. Because it's RTW and not petite, the armhole is too big for me. When I do wear this top, I prefer it under something. It was probably not the best buy but it was on sale, soft, black, long enough, and I loved the smocking at the neck.




The jean pattern is out of print McCall's 5592. With a wider leg, these jeans work really well for my figure. They're far more flattering than skinny or boot cut jeans and I'm much more comfortable in them. In fact...


... after blog reading on Saturday, I confidently pulled out the adjusted pattern and cut out another pair. The black shot with brown, stretch denim had been in my stash for at least 10-15 years. When I cleaned the stash last week, I decided to either use it or lose it. It's reversible. The one side is lighter with black streaks as below. The other side - the one I used - is much darker.




I took my time sewing, doing a good job at - and enjoying - every stage of the process. When I sew pants (jeans) I sew the inseams and crotch seam and then finish the front and back yoke and waist separately. Then I pin the side seams, adjust as necessary, and position any back pockets in a flattering location before sewing on the pockets, finishing the side seams, hemming the legs, and adding the carriers and button. After that, they're done only this pair will not be finished... at least not by me.

After pinning the side seams, I couldn't get them up past my thighs. It was a change room experience. Way too tight. I let out the pins and that didn't help. The sides were so far apart at the hips that it would have taken some serious winching to pull those two together. Apparently, I over adjusted the pattern - or who knows what I did - either way, they are not to be for me.




Right now, they're folded neatly with the side seams basted and the patch pockets and carriers tucked into the front pocket. I'll take them to work. Whoever fits them the closest gets to finish and keep them. I have enough fabric left to make a skirt. Later. Right now, there's another pair of jeans ready to cut out. I really REALLY need/want some new pants.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - after today, inventory will be half finished

5 comments:

  1. Oh how disappointing. I have yet to be satisfied with a jeans pattern...my own problem because of what you just described. They are time consuming to sew and not easy to even consider fitting as you go. That new skirt will be a great alternative. Hope the inventory job goes easily and safely. That's a lot of heavy lifting going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yuck! I hate it when I forget the adjustments made. Such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pants in the picture look fantastic on you! They make your legs look 8 miles long, and the mid rise is very flattering on your figure. I hope things work out better the next time you try to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These black jeans are the ones I'm talking about!! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those jeans on you look fabulous! Too bad about the new pair; it could be a combination of many things including a different fabric. Nice that they can go somewhere else and be used.

    ReplyDelete