_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 8 July 2011

Crazy River Clothing

The camp that my son is working at is just half an hour past the clothing store. I went there first before returning to shop. He had called me earlier this week to ask if I could bring him some runners because he'd (foolishly he admitted) worn his into the lake and they were full of sand that refused to budge and he could no longer wear them. It was good to hear his voice. It was good to be needed. Of course, I went. Any excuse for a hug.

When I got there, he looked like he needed to be tucked into bed. He had road rash all down the inside of his right arm, three layers of bandages on his left hand, a headache, sweet breath because his sugar levels were running high due to not feeling well - and nausea. I'm not sure I needed to know all that. Now, I'll just worry until I hear from him again. I gave him extra hugs, his shoes, and sent him back to his cabin hopefully for a nap. Apparently, they're short staffed this week so he thought he might have to wait until later in the day.





After my visit, I went for lunch and then spent three hours at Crazy River Clothing trying on whatever took my fancy or whatever the sales clerks thought I should try on. One of the clerks (Wendy) is a woman I've know for at least ten years. She kept passing things my way and until her boss showed up, was able to take pictures. After that, I had to take them in the change room mirror which - as you will see - was not nearly as good but still helps me remember the styles and see them from a less biased perspective. There were many more pictures than the ones here. I won't bore you with all the blurry shots.




This outfit is a plain t-shirt with three quarter length sleeves and gathers below a v-neck. I've sewn one almost identical. The jeans are wide legged with a bit of elastic at the sides and fancy belt carriers. They're not identical but definitely similar to the McCall's 5592 pair I sewed. I prefer darker denim. It's more slimming. The sweater is draped in the front and waist length in the back. It's a familiar style for me. As you'll see, that's a common outcome of my visit.




The wrap in this picture is a long rectangle with a circle cut out of the middle. When I held it out, it extended the length of my arm span and was about 18" wide. It can be draped and configured in numerous ways. The camisole is basic. It was something to go with and not something I'd normally wear. The skirt is made with a firm knit. It's hard to see the inverted pleats gathered into the bottom hem band. They made the shape plus it had wonderful drape without being too heavy. Here it is...




... from the back with a black sweater. This one has textured tucks meandering across it and a draped front. It had a short skirt and a cowl neck top that went with. Both were gorgeous on the hanger. Neither looked good on me. The extra texture on my hips wasn't helpful and the top looked like I was wearing a bib. That became another common theme. Garments with simple lines and some interesting details flattered me. Garments with many details overwhelmed me. Textures were better than prints. Too much ease made me look clown-ish.




This skirt was absolutely gorgeous. It's made from linen as were many of the clothes. The bottom is drawn in with a drawstring. It's higher in the front with an angled back hem and a pocket on the left hip. Notice that - like the black skirt - it smoothly skims my hips and then is pegged in some way. Time and again, this style looked better on me.




This dress is very similar to a Vogue pattern that many people are sewing. Unfortunately, I took the picture after I'd already undone the sash that ties around to the front. Wendy had arranged it in a beautiful bow at the side that I'll want to figure out how to copy. I thought it was too long and would look better shorter with either sleeves or a top underneath but otherwise it suited my figure enough that I just might try a similar pattern. It was the fabric that made it doable - light like voile or cotton silk. That was another take away - the importance of quality fabrics.




Everyone loved these pants including myself - until I saw this picture that is. Because the hem lines angle down to each side, they make me look wider while the black pants below...




... are pegged and far more slimming. These are the ones that everyone thought I should buy. Not. They were close to $200.00. Linen or a rayon/linen blend are on sale at work for way Way WAY less than that and mine would fit a whole lot better. The designs are...




... Marcy Tilton-ish like Vogue 8499. I have several of her patterns in my stash to explore.

At the end of the day, all three of us - myself, Wendy, and the other sales clerk - felt I looked the best in garments that emphasized my waist and had clean simple lines with some detail and/or texture combined with interesting jewelry, shoes, and other accessories. As I said earlier, very few prints worked. Solids were far more successful and texture had a balance point. Yes... well... apparently I do know my style and I simply need to have more fun with it.




While I wouldn't buy any of the clothing at those prices, jewelry is another matter. Surprisingly, this was the necklace that caught my eye first and it turned out to be the least expensive of the ones I liked. It's made of braided chains at the top that are then separated at the bottom. I bought it partly because I loved it and partly as a way of thanking them for three hours of fun. A small thank you in comparison to the clothing prices. Another piece for my (growing) collection.

gwensews wrote - Interesting post. I do a lot of nostalgic thinking. Something I'm acutely aware of, what you call your "blandness", I think is age related. I don't have the hopes, dreams or excitement that I had as a young woman. I miss those feelings.

I've only missed those feelings recently and I'm not prepared to give them up. I wouldn't want to live another forty years in beige-ness so I'll need to recapture and redirect them. This feeling began when I closed my business but is much stronger lately due in part to working a rather brainless job which - while it meets many other needs - does not challenge my intellect.

Judy wrote - I'm feeling bland most days too, and, with each birthday, realize with dismay that energy, stamina and self-direction are trickling out the bottom of my hourglass. Your blog connects me again with Kamloops (hope I guessed right), the North Shore Fabricland and earlier years when I felt absolutely anything was possible and within my reach. Give yourself a gift & do your walking; it will raise your mood and give you time to think. Thank you for everything you share with us.

Since watching Helen and Ruth in the videos earlier this week, I've watched more videos at AdvancedStyle and I'm inspired by and intrigued with these older women. I'm not willing to fade away. I want to go kicking and screaming in a burst of color. A huge part of recapturing those feelings is - I believe - actively participating in life and being involved in life long learning, having goals to strive for, sharing, teaching, growing, evolving, caring - family, friends, faith. If those women can be active and interesting. So can I.

On the drive to Salmon Arm and back, I thought about many things including my textile art and while I have no yearning what-so-ever to create a piece, I do yearn for some of the excitement that came with that type of creativity. I didn't work to a plan. I started and step by step responded the developing piece until it said it was done. There's a certain energy in that way of working that cannot be found in following a pattern. After trying on all those clothes, my mind was drafting design changes with an energy that felt familiar. I realized I need to wing it a little - a lot - more.

When I was cleaning house Wednesday, I packaged up the discarded stash to take to the second hand store and in the process snuck another piece or two back into the closet. One was a piece of Mom jean blue denim. At first, I wanted nothing to do with it however, over the last few days, my mind has tickled with the idea of over dying it and adding painted details and perhaps sewing a coat, maybe even a jean jacket with it. I've thought about making my own fabric that is more unique, more personalized, one-of-a-kind. I'm reminded that my creativity isn't meant to be paint by number-ish and that with a change of medium, I need to find new ways of expressing myself.

I'm working tonight from five to closing. This morning, I'm off to get my hair cut. I'm in the mood for something completely different so I have no idea what it will look like - probably short. I may regret this. If so, it'll grow back - LOL.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a fun day and the reassurance that style wise I'm on the right track, that (sewing) technique wise there is always more to learn, and that creativity wise there are many more frontiers to be explored.

6 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying your reflecting this week. I agree that walking again would be good for you on many fronts. When I have walked on a given day, I find it gives me energy and a feeling of accomplishment as in if I do nothing else all day, I at least walked. I try to walk with my husband when he gets home so that we can talk about our days while we walk (and he gets exercise too!)

    I predict by post 600 you'll have started another business. You sound too entrepreneurial to be in a basic job that isn't challendging you long term. I think it goes with your strong inner drive to create and create big!

    One tip for slimming oneself is shoes. Consider wearing shoes that open up the top of your feet when wearing skirts or cropped pants. BTW, I really liked the dress you had on and can see it paired with your little black cropped sweater, so I hope you make a similar dress for summer.

    Thank you for making me think.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna -
    Once again, a great column!

    I hadn't thought about texture versus print....but had been aware that prints generally don't look good on me....and I'm bored with solids.

    I've recently been exploring going with more detail than what I have in the past. Turns out that a lot of detail is too much for me but a more discreet detail in the same color does wonders.

    Something with only a hint of feminity (read a single discreet, kind of heavy, ruffle versus a whole bunch of chiffony floaty ruffles).

    I've also recently realized that a lot of contrast between the outfit and my skin doesn't look good on me because I don't have a lot of contrast between my hair & skin.

    I was thinking about why that purple skirt/top/belt looked so fabulous on you....it fit well, not a lot of contrast between it and your skin, the belt gave it some fun without overwhelming you, and it made you smile. You looked happy in that outfit.

    Hope you hear from the kid and he's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother had at age 60 descended into beigeness and a few months ago she and I spent time together in her wardrobe a little like you in this store picking out the best outfits and pieces and adding accessories. She rediscovered some things she had and we had a lovely time together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Myrna,

    Sorry I have not posted a comment in a while (I have still been reading). Sounds like a lovely trip and very informative. I have been thinking about your comment from a previous post that you have admired the kind of exuberant style you see on AdvancedStyle all your life but find yourself wearing much more conservative outfits. As you said "It illustrates the gap between who I feel I am inside and what I wear." And then the comment about feeling bland and not having any big project or goals. Anyway, it seemed to me that you do have a big goal - which is learning how to express who you are through your clothing. That is not a small task and you have been working at it diligently for some time now. One thing that struck me is that your sewing and fashion posts is that they tend to focus on fit and flattery. Those are both important but there is another element to finding your style which is being comfortable and confident in the things that express your aesthetic— even if they look out of place where you live and work. So I am curious— how do you think you would feel walking around in some of the outfits you admire but don't wear? How do you think the people around you would react? What do you think keeps you from wearing things like that?
    I am curious because — in my experience— people react very strongly the first time you change what you wear. Having been indifferent to fashion my whole life, and dressing largely to be inconspicuous I got quite a few comments the first time I wore a fitted skirt. And then people got used to it and they stopped commenting. And I am curious because it seems like this is an important part of developing your style that I haven't seen you talk about much. Hope these questions don't seem prying— just trying to offer some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued to see the new hair - and I love that top outfit. It does have overtones of the jeans outfit you posted about recently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love shopping trips like that, even if they only confirm that you already know your style and what works or doesn't. It is a faster way to explore styles than sewing and it can inspire creative thoughts and confidence an new ways of looking at the same old things.

    ReplyDelete