_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 14 July 2011

The $1,275 Pencil Skirt

My entire eight hour shift at work yesterday was spent moving drapery panels - up down, bend twist, lift shift. I came home exhausted and went to bed early. No sewing.

sdBev wrote - .... Sorry for the sermon, I only wanted to explain what I was referring to. I guess I went a little overboard.

Not a problem at all. I didn't feel preached at. I did ask. I've heard the phrase Divine Intuition or Divine Guidance and I've talked about the still small voice within but never the phrase Divine Discontent. The way you described it as "a small urge that keeps one looking towards life with interest and expectancy" is the way in which I want to approach life always - with energy, gratefulness, and an awareness of beauty and opportunity. Every day there is something to see and be thankful for, even on the "bland" days when I'm wishing for more energy.

I get frustrated with the Internet when I'm trying to explain how I feel because written communication is so difficult especially as we all read through the filter of our own experiences. There are so many ways to interpret the same words that face to face is often easier. One of the customers at work yesterday was a woman I used to work for. She was highly involved in a fabric career for over twenty years (maybe even longer) and then took up a professional career and has since retired and is now teaching beginner sewing classes part time and doing things at home.

When I asked her how that was going she said it's okay, kind of boring. This is an extremely colorful, full of exuberance, highly intelligent, thinking kind of woman. When I said bland, she said yes and we then had a talk about all the things we've done and what we could do and why we don't want to do those particular things and about what's the point which she totally gets and at the end... neither of us had an answer. I think it's just one of those stages in life that you have to wait your way through.

The topic of the Oprah Magazine this month is intuition. In the article called She's Got A Feeling on page 120, there's the following quote by professional intuitive Susan King that I completely agree with. - One of the worst things in life is indecision and confusion. It plagues everybody. But confusion is sometimes a blessing when it stops you from making a move, because sometimes you're not supposed to make a move. I say to people, "You don't walk down stairs blindfolded, you don't drive a car blindfolded - why would you want to make massive life-changing decisions when you can't see what you're doing? You have to wait for clarity." So to me, confusion can be a kind of intuition; your body's way of saying, don't do anything right now - just go with the flow and the answer will come.

Further in the magazine is an article called A Look for All Seasons. Apparently, it's about transitioning clothing between seasons to get more wear out of them. On the first page, a Caroline Herrara dress is pictured alone, then with a sweater, and then with a trench. Personally, I didn't think they transitioned very well but what really caught my eye was the prices in the article - a dress for $1,215, a cardigan for $448, a trench coat for $750, a casual cotton pullover for $295, a maxi dress for $695, a velvet motorcycle jacket for $525 - and the one that really dropped my jaw - a pencil skirt for $1,275. I can't see the bottom in the picture but I'm assuming it's a short, less than one meter, skirt. Combined with the jacket that's $1,800 plus whatever top she's wearing, plus lingerie, plus jewelry, plus shoes. Pardon me? I know there are all kinds of arguments supporting high end prices but they escape me when one outfit would support a family. I remain so glad that I sew even when I'm not getting much done.

Today, I'm working one to closing which means this morning, it's (sewing is) possible. I have some things to do first but hopefully there will be enough time to finish the jeans.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - empathy and understanding

5 comments:

  1. I really wonder if someone who can afford thoses prices needs to economize with a wardrobe that can transition the seasons. That particular article doesn't convince me anymore than it did you. Yes I'm so glad I sew. Not just the money, but the challenge and the friends I meet through this hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being told once that the high proced pieces of clothing in magazines are supposed to be 'aspirational'. Personally, I aspire to making my world a better place - not to having a million dollar wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually know people that buy clothes like that. BUT they also make MAJOR charitable donations. I love high-end clothing. I love to go into the store and exam the pieces and try them on. They set the standard. Isn't it what we as home seamstresses try so hard to achieve (along with great fit)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I don't think people who routinely buy $1200 pencil skirts need to transition their clothing, and I do know people like that. And not all of them donate mega bucks and some of them would never conceive of anyone being able to live on a mere $1800. I'm not putting anyone down, just saying that there are a lot of discrepancies in the world.

    I am fortunate that I can buy an occasional high end piece if I choose to do so, but it would have to be some truly spectacular work of art of a pencil skirt for me to spend that kind of money on it, and then I would probably never wear it. I am very happy I sew and can make what I want to wear.

    ReplyDelete