_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 6 July 2011

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Inventory at work went well. In our group, I was the check and count person, which meant confirming each product, counting the number per product code, directing our male helpers in loading the bolts on the scale and putting them back on the table, and keeping track of what had been counted/weighed. Since all the fabrics had been laid flat on the tables, this involved a lot of bending up and down so I'm stiff today. That's the kind of activity I prefer over a more formal exercise program only my life style doesn't include work of this nature on a daily, or even weekly, basis. Mostly, I sit or stand.

My shift was over at three. It would seem that I had most of the afternoon to do something only it didn't work that way. After getting up at five and working full out for eight hours, I was tired and more in couch potato than charge mode. I spent some time looking at the discussions at Stitcher's Guild and trying to decide if I wanted to/had the time to get involved there again. After that, I checked out the new arrivals at Anthropologie.




Along with skinny jeans, there were quite a few wide legged jeans and dress pants. These ones - Capacious Trousers - $88.00 - come in gold, green, and grey. I like colored jeans and had been looking over the denim and twill options at Fabricland trying to decide which color to choose when I realized that...




... this piece in the discounted drapery section would work perfectly. It's a 60" wide, heavier weight cotton in a warm orange-yellow. There were 2.40 meters left at $2.50 a meter. For a you can't miss them pair of jeans that I'll wear only now and then, $6.00 works a lot better for me.




Color blocking has become quite popular recently. Along with being a lot of fun to sew, it can work really well for creating illusions. I like how graceful and elegant the Colorblocked Sweater Skirt - $118.00 - looks. Have you seen a suitable fabric for this? The description says that it's wool which sounds very warm and cozy for winter. I'm imagining it with tights and fun shoes.




The styling of the Trenchcoat Skirt - $138.00 - caught my eye. It's made from polyester rayon spandex with an acetate lining. This isn't a hard style to duplicate. The color reminds me of the fabric I used for the jeans that were not to be for me. I wonder if there's enough material left for this skirt. They'd essentially be "free" since I'm using a remnant but... if we calculate the price... I know I bought the fabric in the bargain center so it wasn't more than $5.00 per meter full price and more likely $2.50 since I usually buy when the bargain center is also on sale 50% off. That would make the cost of my skirt about $4.00 plus zipper, thread, and buttons all of which I have in stash.




Above is the Santa Ana Camisole and below is the Avec Toi Slip, both $148.00. Both are sewn from 100% polyester. I find the price outrageous. We have an embroidered silk at work that retails full price at $26.00 per meter. Right now, it's 40% off. Since I'm such a bargain shopper, I consider that an expensive fabric and it's more luxurious and less expensive in comparison to these prices.




My husband and I were having a discussion yesterday about the financial situation in Greece and the number of countries struggling and how their situation might affect our investments and financial goals over the next while as well as work and potential income. That evolved into a talk about the price of things in general - how outrageous they seem.

I would not buy any one of the items that I've shown in this posting. Not. Going. To. Happen. In my opinion, all of these prices are ridiculously high and - even then - not high at all in comparison to designer clothing. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've paid over $100.00 for a single garment. It's just not in me. I'm a bargain fabric shopper and when and if I buy RTW, I shop the sales. Once again, I am very glad I sew and encouraged to continue to develop and advance my skills. How about you?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a day off, the sun is shining, a pending clean house

13 comments:

  1. I will admit to being a lover of Anthropologie - on occasion I order something so that the catalogs keep coming to my house - I save those for inspiration. What I find amazing is the low quality of high priced garments! I shouldn't have to re-sew buttons after the second time I've worn a shirt. I shouldn't (and don't) pay $50 for a shirt that will pill after 15 minutes of wear. Ugh!

    Anyway, I too, believe that the price of clothes (honestly, of a lot of other stuff too) has become totally outrageous. Sales, baby, give me the sales rack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Myrna:
    Glad you survived inventory. I read the paper last night (I've got time now that it's summer) and I see that my local Fabricland is having an inventory sale. I might try to check it out, although, I've got lots already!
    Your thought process and question is a good one, especially considering the world economic crisis. More and more of my regular/day to day wardrobe is made by me. I've got a skirt and a pair of pants that I know (off the top) that I paid full price for, egged on by my husband. However, I'm a hard fit (aren't we all) and they are classic trousers and a straight/pencil skirt that I've had and worn for years. Items like that and winter coats, etc., I don't mind paying full price for as I know I'll wear them for a long time. However, over $100 for a polyester slip seems a bit over the top!
    The one place I pay more is for shoes. As a Home Ec teacher I'm on my feet on tile/over cement flooring all day. I've got skinny feet and I just can't wear inexpensive shoes. I have few pairs, but pay a lot for shoes. But it's worth it to me for the comfort factor alone.
    Interesting post,
    take care,

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.k. I'm still back at the part about Fabricland having embroidered silk. Where I live, there's dupioni and (at the moment) some noile but....embroidered silk? Lingerie quality? Envy, thy colour is green.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a critical look at what I actually do wear and discovered that sales rack orphans are often a bad idea for me. Half the ones I buy never get worn IRL.

    Shopping like a man, spending more on quality basics, works better for me.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704405704576063962680112114.html

    I have psoriatic arthritis, which means I must have very cushioned, low-heeled shoes that don't rub. It means I buy quality shoes that cost $100 on average from NB, SAS and Munro American. They are all made in the USA with good materials and the prices reflect that. I don't buy very many though, and I get on their mailing lists for coupons and sales 1-2x/year. Otherwise, those shoes don't go on sale.

    I take a market basket approach to my wardrobe. As long as my total bill is reasonable, I will splurge on expensive things I love. I sewed a bunch of tops to go with last year's splurge, an Issey Miyake jacket.
    http://badmomgoodmom.blogspot.com/2010/06/vogue-1071-refashion.html

    I pay more for the things that I need, and may take a chance on a sales rack orphan for a fun item.

    I also shop thrift stores first before new stores. It's both for $ and environmental reasons.

    When I sew, I mostly use garment industry discards I buy in LA by the pound for the equivalent of $1-5/yd. If I really like a pattern, I will use nice fabric ($10-30/yd) from independent fabric shops to remake it.

    I read the fashion and business pages. It appears that our family spends about 1/3 to 1/2 as much on clothing and shoes as other people of our income bracket. Our clothes are about half home-sewn and thrifted, half bought new. Much of our new clothes are well-made locally, in the US or Mexico. We want to save our carbon budget for big things, like our family trip to Tanzania last year, instead of little things.
    http://badmomgoodmom.blogspot.com/search/label/Tanzania

    I even used my Tanzania fabric for two shirts this summer. I love, love, love them. But, if you count the trip, they were expensive fabric. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. $148 for polyester!?!?!? That is simply unacceptable IMHO, especially when I can buy 100% silk charmeuse at Mood for $18 a yard.

    Honestly, I like Anthro for snoop shopping, but their prices are ridiculous and I never feel like the quality is what it should be. I'm glad I sew because now I can make myself those statement pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I agree with Goodmombadmom on her "market basket" approach to wardrobe budget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won't wear polyester - at any price, and I have seldom found anything at the thrift stores that fits and was other than years out of style.
    Because I live an hour (or more) in any direction from ANY fabric store, I would have to order online for fine silk. But I am the type who has to feel the hand of the fabric before committing. I have ordered online, with mixed results...
    Still, I sew most of my clothing and some for my hub and grandchildren - agin, with mixed results.
    But, it works for me...
    Caro

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sewing has ruined shopping for me.

    Great yellow twill find. Please make those pants up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was a teenager, I longed for my career to advance enough for me to be able to purchase these same type expensive items. Now, however, when I could afford them, I won't purchase. Why? Because I can and do sew a much better garment even when I pay full price for the fabric.

    I'll also ask how many of these sell out as opposed to see a few?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel you on the not purchasing. I went shopping with a friend who makes a significant amount more than I do. I used to be jealous that she could go shopping whenever she wanted. But last time we went together I started getting knots in my stomach because she spent $80 on a simple knit top!!! I could not believe it. Thinking about it now makes me ill. I will stick with knocking off my favorite pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. $148 for a polyester slip or cami??? I had to go back and read that a couple of times over AND click through to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding something. People really spend that???

    And good silk to be had for under $20 a yard. No, thanks. Not for me.

    But that does remind me that I need to make myself some nice silk slips and camis...

    I've just recently ventured back out into the world of RTW, but only at sales and outlets. And it must fit and be well made. So I'm not buying much, as you can imagine... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Polyester or no, I'm happy to see some pretty lingerie at Anthropology. Perhaps that means that soon my sister will quit wrinkling her nose as if I'm 85 and too out of touch with reality for words when I mention that I wear and like slips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm happy to see more pretty lingerie as well, as I love pretty slips and pretty things underneath and they have been out of fashion for too long.

    Otherwise I find A better for inspiration than actual shopping although I have no trouble paying for good clothes. I have trouble finding what I want on sale, and try to mix things I've sewn with things I buy. Even though my sewing has been erratic lately, I find that there are still enough things I've made that those, plus a few fabulous things I've bought, often good quality basics, are more than adequate.

    ReplyDelete