_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 27 January 2012

Beads Brainstorming And The B-Witchy Stage

Even though I got up an hour earlier, it still took me until after nine to get on the road to my beading workshop. Thankfully, it was a private class and the times were flexible. Yesterday's viewers were very interested in our house although they have a house to sell first. That's good but not great news except that... apparently the cleaning was worth it! Today's viewers are visiting for the second time. Their house is already sold with a few subjects left to be removed. An offer and that could be great news. I hope so.

I learned a tremendous amount at the workshop. My mind buzzed with possibilities all the way home. Throughout the day I kept thinking my daughter would like to know this or that and wished she was there too because it was so something that would interest her as much as me and that we could do together. Perhaps when she's visiting sometime. Meanwhile, I may have learned a few tips and tricks I could teach her. What fun that would be.




The necklace above was bought to wear to my son's graduation this past June. It was strung on memory wire which I didn't like because the weight of the pendant kept pulling down the necklace plus the pendant wasn't secured properly and would always flip over. I restrung it using soft wire, crimps, crimp covers, wire protectors, and lobster clasps - twice - because I screwed up the bead order once and had different sides. That gave me more practice. Oh - and the jump rings holding the pendant were changed to a bail. LOL - look at me throwing all that jewelry terminology around. I'm starting to get it. I learned four methods for stringing a necklace. Two more are knotting - simply tying a knot between each bead - and attaching an end to thick cord or ribbon with beads strung on. No pictures of those.





The fourth technique was hard wire or wire wrapping. I used round nose pliers to turn the copper wire into a eye pin, run it through the beads, and turn it again on the other side. Units like this would be connected with a jump ring. I learned about how to open and close jump rings and split rings using different tools that save your fingernails. Good to know.




I prefer the soft wire techniques to the hard wire ones although it will be good to know some of those techniques for working with the textile pendants. The copper parts above were picked up on sale at Michaels. I brought them along to string another necklace using the pendant below - which I forgot to take with me - which means I'll get to try this on my own at home.




This necklace was given to me by a friend who received it as a gift from her husband who bought it in South America when he was down there on business. She didn't think he'd notice when she gave it to me. LOL - he did but didn't care so that's okay. I'm not sure why she passed it on because the coloring is perfect for her but I'll take it although I'm not a fan of cords. Adding the chain and beads will pretty it up significantly.




Carolyn - the bead and clay lady - has spent a lot of time thinking about what I am trying to accomplish and how I could do that. That meant a lot to me. So many times when you're in business talking to another person in business they are unwilling to share ideas never mind help you brainstorm possibilities.

Above, we've made - as in I watched and she rolled and created - a layer of textured polymer clay for the bottom of a pendant and then a frame that sits on the edge of the fabric. It's one option we explored along with several others that have huge potential. My mind is buzzing. I left with several ways to move forward with both the pendants and the bracelet cuffs that involve way less glue, a higher level of professionalism, and... polymer. Too fun. This is good.




To date, all of my beading supplies have been kept in a shallow drawer in the same unit that has my patterns only that's not big enough anymore especially as I don't have all the tools and supplies I'll need if I'm going to do more of this type of work - and it looks like I am. Carolyn has a storage unit from Ikea that is...




... perfect for holding all these bead containers. Isn't that a yummy looking drawer? So much potential and there are several drawers full like this. The containers are from the dollar store. They stack. I need to take a look for those as well as for the felt tray for laying out your necklace design. Carolyn is a dollar store expert and apparently I can find all kinds of useful items there. I'm thinking I should avoid the dollar store for a while - VBG - and preserve my budget.




These are tube and rondelle beads that Carolyn made. They're in common Myrna colors and should work well with some of the designs I have in mind. I couldn't leave without buying a few to take with me.

To say that I don't deal with new technology well would be to vastly understate reality. I cannot stand upgrades or new toys. I like to figure out how things work and then I want them to work the way they're supposed to and that's it. Don't change things. The truth is that when faced with new technology I go through the b-witchy stage. I'm rather cranky and irritated until I have things figured out and running smoothly - my friend says it's my control issues - and then I think that new toy or new software is the greatest things since sliced bread. I didn't realize that I'd do the crabby cranky thing with a new medium too because I haven't learned a new medium in years - plus I think my expectations were too high - but - I am more excited at the end of the month about jewelry making possibilities than I was at the beginning. YES!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - an abundance of jewelry ideas and techniques to explore AND yesterday was the 33rd anniversary of our first date. I'm grateful for my husband and for his support and encouragement.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Younger Self - who can be as balky and stubborn as the most cantankerous three-year-old - is not impressed by words. Like a native of Missouri, it wants to be shown. To arouse its interest, we must seduce it with pretty pictures and pleasurable sensations - take it out dining and dancing as it were. Only in this way can Deep Self be reached. - Starhawk, Theologian

1 comment:

  1. I hope and pray your house sells at just the right time. That's encouraging to have buyers back for a second look and for them to not need to sell a house!

    Glad you're having fun with the beads. It's all looking promising too.

    ReplyDelete