_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 19 January 2012

High Hip Wide Hip Friendly

Yesterday morning, I drove my sort of son - he spends so much time at our house, we just call him our other son - to the airport and this morning I'm picking him up again and we're going out for breakfast. He's in the military and needed to fly to a meeting and back, returning on the early bird flight which means I'm up earlier than normal too.




It's so cold here that I'm mostly staying tucked up in my studio unless I have a reason to go out and then I piggy back whatever I can. On Tuesday, I went to Fabricland after driving my youngest son to work and yesterday, after driving Colin, I went back for the 60/40 acrylic wool blend shown above that was marked way down, so far down that I bought more than enough for Vogue 8780 for $18.00. LOVE deals like that.

I washed and dried the yardage and it came out beautifully, soft with plenty of drape. The pattern calls for lightweight fabrics and notes that the wrong side will show. This should work. Most likely, I'll use it with the fuzzy side out as the other colors show up better on the brown/black plus I prefer the darker side to the light brown.




With the second Butterick 5685 muslin, I sewed the vertical seams at 1/4" adding 4 1/2" in circumference and dropping the underarm by 3/4" because of the armscye princess seams. It has enough ease for a coat now although the collar still seems too big. If I decide to go ahead with this pattern, I'll play with cutting the collar down until I get to a manageable size but first, the sleeves would need a LOT of work. After dropping the underarm, there wasn't enough ease left in the sleeve cap which would have been easy enough to fix only they twisted something terrible. Sleeves and I have a history. We do not get along. I'll work it out if I decide to go ahead.

Brenda - I agree that double breasted jackets are not necessarily the best style line for my figure type however, a wide shoulder element and princess seams are and those two seemed to balance out the other. And, as you noted, sometimes it's just nice to try something different. That said, before I go any further, I'll muslin Vogue 8626 below which also comes with custom fit cup sizes.





A friend with the same figure type as mine made this coat last year and it turned out beautifully. As you can see with the higher waist and the pleats, the back is high hip wide hip friendly. The combination of shoulder princess seam lines in the front and armscye ones in the back is one of my favourites. They fit more smoothly this way.




I would prefer a little more drama in the front of the Vogue pattern so - if that muslin works better - I'll attempt to frankenpattern the wider collar on McCall's 5759 and blend the two. It should be doable and I love challenges like this. Making things fit. Making them work. Making them fun.

The McCall's jacket would be really fun to sew only I'm worried it's too fitted for me right now although it wouldn't hurt to muslin it too and see what I think of the style. The pattern doesn't have individual cup sizes. I could copy those lines from the Butterick jacket. It does have a two part sleeve. Those - and darted ones like the Vogue pattern - always seem to fit better. 




When I mentioned to Howard that I was getting messages from all sides that I should be making purses, he agreed saying that it was obvious I had enjoyed The Handbag Project enormously and considering how many purses I've made over the years and how they always seem to make me happy, why not do those? Hmm... ? ? ? 

Because purses are predominately textiles, they're definitely my forte and a wonderful place to showcase colors, texture, and embellishment HOWEVER... I refuse to leap from one thing to another to another so I'm thinking this idea over and at the same time have scheduled a lesson on beading and wire wrapping techniques which would be good for both the purses and the necklaces. On the drive back from Fabricland, I even found myself dreaming of polymer handles and purse feet. This could be win-win - one of those all things work together for good type things. YES YES!

Even though I'm a visual learner, I rarely watch on-line videos. I spent a couple hours yesterday watching YouTube videos on purse making. There's a LOT on there. For the most part, the information was familiar but I did pick up one or two new tips and that's always good. I also visited several purse and purse supply sites and spent some time on Etsy to get an idea of what's out there - 41,684 listings under handbags and purses - Wow! And you know what. Same story. A lot of not so wonderful stuff and some really amazing. That seems to be the norm.

birdmommy - What I meant with the comment about the SAD light was that I already knew about it and wondered what other techniques people incorporated into their routine. Thanks for thinking about me with the article. Like grabbing the ColdFX the minute you think you're getting a cold, I jumped on this at the first feeling this year and that's helping tremendously along with finding things to create in the studio. Creativity for me is ALWAYS great therapy.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - caring readers. THANKS!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal GrowthDo your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you'll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you're serving is Christ. The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being a follower of Jesus doesn't cover up bad work. - Colossians 3: 23-24

6 comments:

  1. Oh, how convicting those verses! "The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible." Thank you for reminding me of this -- my own work is suffering from a blend of ennui and deja vu lately. I don't want to "just do the minimum that will get you by." The purse/jewelry connection sounds interesting. Give Howard an extra hug for thinking of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the purses that you have made and really think you might have hit on something by combining polymer and wire embellishments with fabric whether in a purse/jewlery or both. Thanks for sharing your creative thought process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just catching back up w/your blog...surprised by negative comments. I personally love your 'keep it real' point of view and just like another reader,I too relate to what's going on w/you at this time of your life. And I'm so glad you are willing to share your experiences with us strangers. Just like the rest of us, you're just looking for fulfillment in your work. You are so where you need to be right now even if it doesn't feel that way all the time. One of the life principles in my bible is: The awareness of God's presence energizes us for our work. Our work is God's gift to us. Your husband is right...you were energized while making your handbags. The coming together of your handbags and the polymer clay is you working things out for the good!!
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going(Ecclesiastes 9:10). So making something every day is so 'right on target'. Stay strong and encouraged. Johnette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Fabric! I've heard that double breasted jackets work for all figures. It just depends upon the button placement which is different for most people.I like Vogue 8626 - hope that you decide to make it after the muslin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for showing Vogue 8626, not one I've seen and I just love the back. As you say the front is a little plain but I think I should track this one down. I wish I had your patience in making Muslins but I never seem to have the time but I think I have my fit off fine for now. I am working on trying to slim down my lower half. I cycle often but fell off on Tuesday when a dog ran into me. I'm fine but the bike isn,t so it may slow me down a bit. Keep going , you,ll find your way .
    Best wishes
    Brenda in the Boro UK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous fabric. And what a bargain. It's reading about amazing deals like these that make me less keen to report my own fabric costs; you never see fabric that cheap here!!

    ReplyDelete