_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Make Something - Every Day

When you're experimenting, you have to try so many things before you choose what you want, that you may go days getting nothing but exhaustion. And here is the reward for perseverance: The higher up you go, the more mistakes you are allowed. Right at the top, if you make enough of them, it's considered to be your style. - Fred Astaire

In yesterday's comments Anonymous wrote - Yes, "It Comes Down To Choices". I read several blogs everyday for enjoyment. Yours is always so negative, so bye bye :)

Bye! - I have no respect for critical comments made anonymously. Although all negative comments have an element of truth, they would carry far more weight if they were signed and come wrapped in care and concern like this private comment from a friend - you sound like you are in the 'new year" blues! From menopause, allergies, SAD, post Christmas slump, weather changes... oh my gosh! - which was greatly appreciated because I was worried that I may be coming across as too negative. I apologize.  I'll do better and please let me know - LOL - wrapped in care and concern - if I need another month off.  Carriekaye - thanks for the hug.

Mel wrote - I like your idea of the purses going into a gift shop. I was just thinking about that last night for you. Those purses look soooo appealing!

I was incredibly touched that you were thinking about what I might need and then took the time to let me know. Thank you. Thanks also to everyone who commented on how successful the purses were and to recommend against taking what might be a boring job. Since I've done that in the past, I could relate to Mel's comment that brain cells die every day here which is why I was thinking twice and withdrew my application. I received a lovely reply that read... And honesty is always the best policy. Appreciate your reply. You will find what you're looking for.




Virginia Spiegle has run several very successful fundraising campaigns for the American Cancer Society.  For the last while, as part of her current campaign, she's been featuring different artists and their studios on her blog including Sue Bleiweiss' studio in the video above. It is absolutely GORGEOUS and reminded me how important it is for a maker like myself to go into the studio and make something. Every day. Without fail. It's how we gather energy.




I worked on the muslin of the Butterick 5685 coat yesterday using a size fourteen at the shoulders, bust and waist increasing to a size sixteen at the hip and hem. In the image above, I'm wearing shoulder pads extended to the edge of the seam allowance. I'm not sure if that's exactly how far over they should go so I'll consult Jackets For Real People but first, I'll take 1/2" off the shoulder length. It's slightly too long and looks much more flattering narrowed. That's the great thing about muslins. They help you figure things out. I'm a HUGE FAN of muslins.



If you look at the pattern envelope, there are only line drawings which usually means the pattern hasn't been test sewn however, at the Butterick website, there is a sewn sample. That's encouraging because I'm having trouble figuring out how the collar should lay. Mine has 1" too much length because I took my usual petite adjustment through the armhole but wasn't sure where to eliminate - and how much to eliminate - from the collar so I left the length and pinned it out on the muslin. The broadcloth is too floppy to fold correctly. On the line drawings, the collar comes up high on the back neck. In the sewn example, it seems to fit lower so I'm going to take out the inch and trust and try a second muslin. I may end up cutting the collar down a bit. The hem wasn't been cut off the bottom of the muslin which means it should hem to a nice length.





Above, I'm wearing the muslin without clothing underneath because the broadcloth was sticking to my t-shirt. The coat is supposed to be close fitting only - on me - it's really close fitting. There's not enough ease. The lining will help. Since coating fabric is more bulky, I'll use slightly narrower seam allowances on the princess seams and quarter inch seam allowances on the side seams to add more ease.




The front fits nicely and the back needs more room over the hips. Those gaps are about 1 1/2" each. The "extra" can be added to the lower side back pattern piece. I typically need less room around the front and more room around the back. My hips are an eighteen and I usually sew a sixteen front and a twenty back below the waist.

The instructions piece the upper bodice and lining together and the skirt pieces together and the skirt lining pieces together and then sew the lined bodice to the skirt lining and add the skirt. It's weird and doesn't allow for fitting adjustments. Instead, I sewed each upper and lower section together at the "waist" seam and then sewed the vertical princess seams and the side seams. MUCH better.




The side image above shows not enough bicep width plus the need to tip the sleeve cap for my tipped shoulders. There was far too much ease on the front cap although the back cap fit nicely. I took 1" out of the front cap, tipped the shoulder 3/4" forward, and added 1" of bicep width for the next muslin. I'll need to shorten the sleeves but I'm not sure how much yet. I'll figure that out once the sleeve is correct.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - honesty... again... even though sometimes it hurts

P.S.  My friend later clarified her comment as - I wouldn't say negative... I would say at loose ends... more searching... no particular direction at the moment. But, I'm sure you'll find it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. - John Quincy Adams

10 comments:

  1. I like your blog. I like reading about the challenges you are facing. I like the honesty in writing about your struggles. Life is not always happy or easy or pain free. Some people blog only about sewing and I like those too, but I like to hear a bit about what's going on in the bloggers life beyond sewing to see the whole person. What you blog is true to you and better for it.
    I really like the look of the collar on you, it suits you well. Muslins are worth the effort to check that it's a style that works prior to digging into the "good stuff" and particularly all the work that goes into a coat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myrna, I look forward to reading your blog and think that your honesty helps others who struggle too.
    When I found your blog , I thought you were a long lost twin, our shapes are so similar but I'm about 10 years older. I have found that single breasted coats look better on me but making a muslin will help you to determine ,how this will look finished. Sometimes though, we feel that the styles we usually wear are just so samey and need to try different thinks. Please keep blogging.
    Brenda in the Boro UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog - I like reading about the processes you engage in and articulate.
    And because of you I'm sewing more muslins.
    I think pink is a great colour on you, even in a muslin.

    Snowy blowy day here ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this blog BECAUSE it isn't all sunshine and rainbows. No one's life is always sunshine and rainbows, so stop pretending it is.

    I was a little horrified at the first comment yesterday. I think that if you're going to leave a comment like that at least have the guts to own it. Would you say something like that to a person's face? No? Then maybe leaving it here isn't such a good idea either. And especially not anonymously!

    You're right, it surely didn't feel very caring. There was no point in it, other than to be hurtful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The unsigned comment was very cutting. As Mel said life isn't always sunshine and rainbows. Life can be difficult which helps us become stronger.

    One of the things I have found is blogging is personal and if we can't speak our own minds and thoughts then there is something wrong.

    Have fun working on the coat. I know you will work through all the fitting issues and you will have something fabulous to show us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy reading your blog, and different views on life.
    Coat muslin coming along well, and will be a super coat on completion...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I figue a negative unowned ie anon comment is troll behavior and should be ignored. Please dont give that person another thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the video of the studio. DH and I are building an empty nester house, and I'll get my own studio space over the garage. I've read your book, studied the magazines, and now this video. Having one's own space to create, even if it's small - is so important!

    Glad you're not taking the boring job. Selfishly, I'd like to read about you creating and you'd have less time to do it in an uninspiring job.

    Lastly, I agree with Lorrie. You look good in pink. What type of fabric & color do you plan to use in making the coat? I look forward to watching your progress.

    PS You're welcome. My hugs are plentiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for the unasked for advice, but I read an article in the Globe and Mail the other day and thought about you. They were talking about the affects of weather on mental function (how some people just feel 'fuzzy headed' when the weather is yucky). They discovered that people with underlying depression - even if it was mild - were really affected by the weather (they had a much harder time with some tasks), while people without depression didn't have much difference in their test results.
    If you're finding the lights aren't helping with what you've suspected is SAD, maybe it's worth talking to someone to see if you have an underlying depression that is made worse by the gloomy winter weather? You've had a lot going on in your life recently - it might be something to explore.
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you please take a photo of the sleeve pattern piece that has the following alterations on it; I took 1" out of the front cap, tipped the shoulder 3/4" forward, and added 1" of bicep width for the next muslin. Thank-you,

    solexa@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete