_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Playing With Pendants

If I was going to walk to my appointment, I needed to leave at 8:30 so that's when I put on my shoes and coat and headed out the door telling myself to suck it up and not be such a wimp, that this was an easy way to exercise. I took one sliding step on the driveway, turned around, and went back in. If I couldn't make it down the driveway, I wasn't going to make it up and down those hills. I drove. The roads were slippery. My limbs are still intact.




The rest of the day, I spent playing with pendants. The two shapes above are from a collection at Michaels. They're roughly 6" wide and 2" high and 1 1/2" wide and 3" high and seemed like good shapes to begin with.




I started by creating some backing and batting sandwiches, enough for four of each. Now that I know ever so slightly more than I knew before, I think I'd work with larger pieces and cut several pendants from one textured backing. That's something to experiment with next.




In my mind, I've been thinking of the pendants as mini textile art. They are significantly smaller than a wall hanging and only somewhat smaller than the 5 x 7" piece I showed you last week. The design principles are the same - it's the design space that differs. The chalk lines show the actual pendant size. The rest is extra. I'm figuring out how to finish the edges still.




With each piece, I'm using a combination of stabilizing and accenting threadwork. The images in this posting are only at the beginner stages. There are many details missing like beadwork.




How the pendants are strung into a necklace is going to have a huge impact on the final look as will whatever method I use to back them. I plan to experiment with that today. The pendant above left is my favourite so far and after that the top two. These seem the most in my style.




These two look like nothing right now. They're a combination of crepe back satin with Guatemala fabric scraps that have metallic in them. The black portion needs some punch either in the form of beading or fused and stitched scraps. I'm debating which.




These are my least favourite pieces although the larger curved one has potential. They're created from a fabric that I originally cut from a skirt to be recycled. It was a whole bunch of squares that were layered and stitched together to make a new fabric that I then used to make a blouse that I then cut up to make other things like purses and my Kobo cover. There's still LOTS of fabric left and these pendants take itty bitty bits. At the moment, these two feel crafty but we'll see what happens as I finish them.




Above and below are detail images of the stitchwork. I'm known for dense threadwork which is good. With these pendants, I need to stitch even closer and be sure that I'm loosened up and moving smoothly because small errors will show.




These eight pieces are a good start. I'm pleased. I learned a lot and it was interesting that while creating these was just as tedious and made more of a mess in the studio than working with the clay, it was FUN! Go figure.

I can still see a purpose to the clay as a base to attach the textiles to. I found myself wishing I had some shapes pre-made because a clay base would be weighted and easy to attach the chain too. I sent a few images to Carolyn (the clay lady) to give her an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish and I'll see what her suggestions are but today...

... I'm going to try different approaches including mounting the pieces on craft foam. I don't think it'll be heavy enough but combined with washers or something of that nature it may work. There's a business close by called Universal Fasteners. Apparently, they sell parts for all sorts of industrial settings and may have metal things that would work for me and are hopefully way less expensive than anything at Michaels. I don't mind testing ideas with their stock but as a supplier, they're incredibly expensive.

The pendants aren't finished yet and even so, I'd appreciate your feedback. Do they look like they have potential or do they look crafty? I'm aiming for sophisticated and not kitch. 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - jewelry feels doable at the moment

8 comments:

  1. I think they definitely have potential...the top photo pendant particularly speaks to me. One thing I love about fabric necklaces is that they can carry a lot of visual impact without a lot of weight (heavy things around my neck do not feel good)...so the lighter the better for me. One of my favorite backings is netting (in single or multiple layers), because it's strong but easy to attach things to, and can even work well as negative space in a design. Have you considered adding 3-D fabric elements to the pieces you're working on, along with the beads you mentioned? Could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the middle two best -- and I like the long, narrow shape better. The technique on the top two is fascinating, but I am not drawn to those colors. (Good thing God made us all like different things, or we'd run out of stuff to do.) I don't think it is the technique that makes the bottom two look artsy-craftsy, but the colors. Although I love those colors. So, not a particularly helpful comment after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these are fantastic— I love the stitchwork and color combinations. I think I like the top one the best but they all have potential. What about using metal buttons to add weight? Have you thought of creating fabric "beads" or say small colored circles of fabric to complete the necklace? I can see doing interesting assymmetric things with how these hang.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely see chic jewelry here! I particularly like the darker ones, but that may be just me. I really love the top one you posted with the slash of hot pink, but the two that include the Guatemalan fabric are great as well. I think I like the way that flashes of color or brightness are balanced by the darker areas of each pendant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elisabeth in France11 January 2012 at 10:28

    Love all your crescent shaped works, the nearly rectangular ones not so much...for the moment. It's harder to tell when they're not finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love interesting jewelry and would buy one of those pendants in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think these pieces have definite potential. Lots of texture and colour to make a real statement. It's exciting to see how you are progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh Myrna, you have some gorgeous pieces here with so much potential! The wheels in my head are spinning right now to come up with some suggestions for you. I wish we were a little closer so we could work side by side a little more! I love all of them but I especially love the ones with more color -- but you know how I love color! I am looking forward to getting together sometime soon though!

    Cheers, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete