_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 16 January 2012

Energy & Joy

It had just started snowing on Saturday night when we went out for dinner and by the time we came out of the restaurant an hour or so later, several inches had already accumulated and it was still coming down. It snowed most of the evening. The world was white and fluffy. On Sunday, there were blue skies and sunshine and sparkle everywhere. White snow on a sunny day is so incredibly beautiful and even as I noted the beauty, I felt that familiar heaviness.




If you read a description of seasonal affective disorder - SAD - my symptoms don't really match other than I am more emotional this time of year and have trouble determining what I want to do not just in my studio but in many areas. The feelings arrive about mid January and start to disappear toward the middle of March - thank God!

SAD is a trend that's been happening for a few years now and appears to be - like my allergies - another gift of menopause because I don't remember dealing with it before. All I can say is that it is SO annoying. There's just too much good in life to enjoy without wandering around crying and upset all the time for no particular reason. Since it's happened for a few years now, I thought I'd figured out a plan to avoid it this year and apparently not which means it's time for plan B - focusing on things that bring me energy & joy.




As you know, I love creating purses. The one above was made for Isabelle, the friend of a friend. Isabelle is a life time artist living on Vancouver island with a studio that is a treasure trove of yummy stuff. When I visited, there was an old, lace tablecloth that she was sure was polyester and I was sure was cotton. I took the tablecloth home, dyed it, cut it up, and created this lace, black suede, and beading purse that I gave back to Isabelle.




Along with moving - which isn't happening when I want it to happen - my avoidance plan this year was to explore jewelry making and especially to learn about polymer clay and as you know, I'm not feeling the love. Because it should work, I spent quite a few hours last week making pendants and beads and exploring options and even though it's a good option it's not a Myrna option so I'm putting aside the polymer and focusing on making purses. I want to include beading and wire wrapping techniques as handles and embellishment which means...




... another class. I love learning. Learning new things (that I enjoy obviously) gives me both energy & joy. Certainly, I could learn beading and wire wrapping from a book only it's more fun to spend a day learning with someone else who enjoy what you enjoy. Carolyn - the clay lady - uses these techniques in her jewelry making and is willing to teach me so I hope to spend another day with her quite soon. YEAH.




If I can, I like to take a workshop in February just to get away. I looked into a Mardi Bra class with Bramakerssupply (five days of bra making) or a handbag class in San Francisco (two days of the basics) and the cost of the classes and the airfare alone was what my friend is paying for one week at an all inclusive in Cuba. I wish I liked lying on beaches because that is RIDICULOUS. I can sew many many things in my studio and take a lot of one day workshops and make several day or overnight trips for that kind of money. So that's what I'm going to do.

In terms of sewing fashions, I'm a bit too fluffy to enjoy sewing t-shirts and pants and skirts and dresses right now. Feeling FAT or SAD are both not such great three letter words but... I could use some new lingerie, pajama pants, a pretty nightgown, a housecoat, a spring and fall jacket, some cardigans, and possibly decor items for the house. These are doable PLUS... I really like refashioning and want to go down to Value Village this week and look around for possibilities to cut up and re-do including shoes and handbags. I ordered a starter kit on painting them yesterday and hopefully it arrives soon. What fun that would be.

AND... I'm going to do something to get exercise whether it's jumping on the mini tramp, dancing around the studio, joining a yoga class, or going back to the gym to run on the treadmill. We'll see what works because something - anything - will be good for both the fluff and the moods. To start with, whatever I do will be at home but by the end of February, the resolution rush should be over and the gym should be doable again and by the end of March, the sun should be shining enough to walk outside. This is Plan B - Energy & Joy - and if that doesn't work, I'll adjust again.

Is seasonal affective disorder something you deal with? Other than using the light, how do you work around it? What choices do you make that are positive? I think that's so important, living proactively. I make absolutely every attempt to remain positive. If you're a close friend, or if I tell you, you might know that I'm dealing with this but most people don't have a clue and are surprised. Good. I'd hate to be a total wet blanket.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - awareness and the willingness to make a plan and to take action

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely get discouraged when the winter comes and have since I was a teenager. I think it is mostly the lack of light rather than the cold, but the cold doesn't help. I grew up in a cold place (Wisconsin) and live in a cold place now (Boston) and it was certainly easier when I lived in a place with no winter (California). When we moved to Boston from California a man we met told us "You have to find something to look forward to. Otherwise you just sit around waiting for it to get warm." He recommended skiing. Since neither of us ski, we have taken up: mochas in the morning, down coats and comforters, warm soups and stews, etc. David calls them "mental down coats." I also find I go to yoga and the gym more in the winter. In the summer we walk a lot and I don't need it, but the little bit of activity helps me get through the dark months. I found a yoga class I love and look forward to and that has made a ton of difference. I also find I get more painting and sewing done in the winter because I'm less inclined to be outside doing things. Looking forward to projects is another way to savor the season.

    I am sorry the jewelry isn't working out at the moment but you do seem to have a flair for handbags so why not go with it? Do you have another idea for a series of bags (different sizes, maybe, or a certain color scheme...) Or maybe a more ambitious project like a jacket or coat? I find that winter is a good season for ambitious projects because i have a lot of time to think about them and the thinking gets me absorbed and distracts from the weather. Personally I am working on a series of bright (for me) print dresses. Not seasonal, quite possible totally unpractical, but it's keeping me entertained and cheery.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna, I have SAD. Have had it for quite a few years; living in the north made it worse. The short days and cold weather were one of the triggers of SAD for me. We use to talk about it as an agenda topic every January at our admin meetings as some people had more severe cases than I did. Knowing you are not alone helped me. But I also had to do something to help me out also.

    My doctor told me to take Vit D3 (I take 4000 IUs daily)year round and it does help. But what helps me the most is walking outside every day whether it is sunny or cloudy. I try for mid day so the sun is at its highest point. Walking when it is dark is no good for you. I have to admit I haven't walk yesterday or today due to the wind. I am doing about 15 minutes a day and hope to build up to 30 minutes per day. I also eat more protein and less carbs and it seems to help me also. I have a light ordered and will use it when I do my morning readings. I should have gotten one years ago but didn't; nothing to be embarrassed about in my opinion. I have to do what I have to do to be happy.

    I am enjoying your work with clay and fabric. I feel you really enjoy making purses as those you showed today are fabulous. I also think you will do well with your jewelry. Keep working on it as you have some wonderful ideas.

    I hear you on the cost of workshops. I am planning on going back to Naniamo in September. Not sure if I will do any other workshops unless I do one in the north. I know that will be fun as lots of my friends will be there and I can visit with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to feel that way when we lived at the coast and it would rain for days (summer or winter) and not see the sun. It hasn't been as bad since living here in Chase as we see the sun a whole lot more.

    Looking forward to getting together again sometime. Have a cheery day and have fun with your sewing!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myrna,
    I struggle with sad, but not just in the winter. It's whenever it's been cloudy for too long. Yoga helps trmendously, as does making the effort to get outside a small amount every day. I have a small desk lamp with a sad lamp in it that I use to read by. Makes a huge difference. I LOVE that light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Light therapy helps as does any exercise. Discuss this with your acupuncturist as there are many points to help with these conditions. I would get your Vitamen D levels checked prior to taking this though and get personalised advice on any dosage - you can overdose on Vitamen D. However your positive attitude will really help. GOod luck . I think the purse ideas seems really good - you seemed energized while making your `hand` handbags.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My naturopath has suggested that I change my diet for improved over all health. She first put me on a detox diet for several weeks, and now I'm on a vegan diet (no animal products of any kind.) It's working! I feel quite a bit better, more upbeat, no headaches, less pain, etc. On the days I exercise, I feel even better. My latest indoor exercise is the hula hoop which I can use while I watch TV. :-)

    ReplyDelete