_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 17 January 2012

It Comes Down To Choices

THANKS for the support yesterday. It is appreciated. I agree with Ann's comment that changes in the weather seem to bring up stuff and one of the difficulties I've mentioned before is about when you absolutely loved what you used to do and it's not possible any more. After the wonderful thing, everything else becomes a poor second and that makes it hard to figure out which direction to go in. Trying this and that and discarding one thing after another looks wishy washy. I'm not fond of that feeling. I don't like the impression it gives.

What I didn't mention was that a potential job came up last week. The fact that I applied surprised me because I thought I'd picked a direction and was moving forward. While I knew the polymer and I weren't in love, the sudden about face made me wonder if I was truly happy with the direction I'd chosen and started a whole lot of over-thinking happening.

I applied via a friend of a friend and only received the complete job description yesterday. It doesn't sound at all challenging. In fact, it sounds boring and even so it's been suggested that I take it - should it be offered to me - because I sound bored and it would be a way to make some money and get out of the house. That's not the first time someone has suggested that I might be bored and while that may or may not be true - I think I'm more frustrated than bored - doing something just because is not my style. It's no different, and possibly an uglier place, than where I am now.




I can relate to what Kathy wrote - Personally, I am working on a series of bright (for me) print dresses. Not seasonal, quite possibly totally unpractical, but it's keeping me entertained and cheery. That's more my style. Eventually, it comes down to choices - as illustrated in this video by Sonja Alarr on resurrecting creativity. I don't want to chose another thing that will drag me down. I want to chose energy and joy and that will always have something to do with being creative and helping others to be creative.




It is absolutely, incredibly, freezing cold out right now - cold enough that I turned on the space heater in my studio. That makes me wonder if I'd like some "thermal" underwear except that it's my feet that are the coldest. Perhaps I want thermal slippers - VBG. I seem to remember from somewhere that it is possible to buy a stretch silk that makes gorgeous lingerie. Does anyone know anything about that? Is it possible? Where? Leggings aside, I really like the camisole of this Kwik Sew 2702 pattern and I have a lace insert that might work well. I tried to find a link to the pattern and it came up as a vintage pattern. Really? I only bought it recently.




Vogue 8780 is a relatively new pattern that would work for fluctuating fluffy-ness. I think it came out last fall but I could be wrong. Either way, I like the way it tapers and falls. One of my favourite sweaters has these lines and I wear it all the time. In stash, I have a charcoal grey knit that might work although the pattern calls for much heavier fabrics like sherpa, double sided fleece, and double knit. The sweater is similar to...




... the Victoria Secrets Flirty Cardi - regular $49.50 and on sale... perhaps because it's going out of style... which wouldn't bother me... if so, I'll be out of style... I like these lines.


For a coat pattern, I'm debating Butterick 5685 partly for the princess seams and partly for the custom fit cup sizes. I started tracing the pattern pieces last night and will make a muslin first and decide from there.  I want this more as a spring and fall coat than as a winter one, something for walking and with jeans.


I've had McCall's 6046 so long that's it already out of print although that seemed to happen quite quickly but probably not. It may actually have been that long. I have a lot of patterns in stash - LOL - that I never seem to get to... or eventually get to. I like the basic lines of this purse and there's room to play with design ideas. I'm going to use it for my next purse project. I was...

... talking to my friend Barb who owns a gallery in Victoria. She has been the recipient of some of my purses and - in her opinion - it's something I'm quite good at and seem to enjoy and she'd be willing to carry in the gallery gift shop. Interesting and we'll see. It's polymer clay that I've put aside for now - not jewelry. I'm still exploring backing ideas for the textile pendants and if I come up with something stable for that and I do purses too, they can both go to Barb. YES YES!

These patterns give me some things to get started with. This morning, acupuncture and then to Fabricland to get muslin material and then starting on the coat.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - honesty

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - I choose cheerful. 

A cheerful disposition is good for your health; gloom and doom leave you bone-tired. - Proverbs 17:22 and A cheerful heart brings a smile to your face; a sad heart makes it hard to get through the day. - Proverbs 15:13

6 comments:

  1. Yes, "It Comes Down To Choices". I read several blogs everyday for enjoyment.
    Yours is always so negative, so bye bye :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thrilled to hear you are thinking of doing purses/bags. You seem so happy making them out of the quilt. I will look forward to see what you design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about taking a job that sounds boring. Probably not a good idea, if you can avoid it.

    I did that a few years ago .... needed to get out of the job I was in asap, needed to work, and took the first thing that got me out of there even though it sounded boring.

    And boring it is. Brain cells die every day here. I really struggle to keep my brain alive. For a lot of reasons, a change in job right now isn't possible, but I surely wish I'd had a different choice back then.

    So....while it does seem that getting out of the house is perhaps needed, don't just settle for something that doesn't feel right, if at all possible.

    I like your idea of the purses going into a gift shop. I was just thinking about that last night for you. Those purses look soooo appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. G&S Dye in Toronto (gsdye.com) used to carry several different weights of silk jersey. I haven't had the courage to use it myself, but I have some silk jersey long johns (from Mountain Equipmwnt Co-op) that are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would be doing yourself an injustice taking a job which has the potential to be boring especially when you are already battling SAD. This has the potential to make your SAD worse. I don't get the impression that you are bored, just not feeling challenged. Your last purse making journey seemed to bring you a lot of joy and provided a challenge. What do you think about using the polymer clay to make button closures for your purses?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please ignore the person who feels your blog is "always so negative." I disagree. I've been reading it for about two years. You are a real person. A friend. A teacher. And more. One who shares the highs and lows in her life.

    What I wanted to say when I opened the comment box is: Go for the purses! When we excel at something and are doing it, we are happy. You are obviously good at many things, and this is one that seems to be calling you right now.

    Hugs, Carrie

    PS Skip the boring job. Life is too short. That suggestions seems to me to be bad advice.

    ReplyDelete