_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 13 January 2012

Stripes

Nothing happened in the studio yesterday. I cleaned house, went to an appointment, had lunch with a friend, and amused myself from 12:30 when I had to leave the house until 6:00 when we could return. We've heard feedback on two of the three viewings and the house didn't work for them. Disappointing to hear and that's the way it goes and we'll see what happens.

Since I couldn't mess up the house, I spent some time at Anthropologie looking at the new arrivals. Normally, I like a lot of their clothing. This time, I found it all a bit on the young side, too fluffy, baby doll, romantic-y although stripes seem to be in and some were sewn in quite intriguing configurations. Finding the right fabric would be key.




With Striped Intersection - $98.00 - the stripes move diagonally across the body which is always more flattering than straight up and down and definitely far more flattering than across. I found myself wondering about how we'd work with the stretch and whether a 4-way stretch would be better so there was pull in all directions or whether a 2-way stretch would be better to add some stabilization.




Dual Convergence - $58.00 - uses similar diagonal seaming lines, this time running in one direction. It appears to be a series of rectangles sewn together. The tapered points of the hemline could be quite flattering.




The thinner stripes of Layered Column - $178.00 - above are far less dramatic than the wider ones of Rugby Stripe -$178.00 - below. Both appear...




... to have layered tiers which would mean there was a base fabric underneath - like a slip - holding the strips and securing the shape at the side seams. I'm guessing. But that's what it looks like.




I'm not sure who would look good in this Sorted Stripes - $178.00 - dress but definitely not me. LOVE the use of fabric only I'd look like a cross between a sausage and a stuffed beach ball.




It's not sewn with stripes but the fabric manipulation of Connect Forty - $188.00 - would be far more flattering on me although it seems a bit prissy and needs some more exciting accessories - maybe hot pink - something to naughty it up somewhat.




Speaking of interesting fabric, this is the Textured Ponte - $118.00 - skirt. I haven't seen a fabric along this lines and if I did, I'd buy it. It'd be perfect for the knit jacket I'm contemplating sewing to see if knit is the kind of jacket I could actually wear although...




... something soft and less structured like this Dawes Cardigan - $68.00 - would be more me. Again, it has some interesting diagonal seam lines.

Yesterday morning, I got up extra early to clean before my appointment and then last night we were up slightly later than normal which made for a sleepy combination. It has occurred to me lately that I don't always have to get up at six anymore so last night I left the alarm off and this morning I slept until almost eight. The problem with that scenario is that I work best in the mornings so I'm already feeling quite behind - LOL - go figure. I won't be doing that too often, just once in a while as needed.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - central heat

1 comment: