_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Rescuing Ugly Fabric

Not too long ago, I commented that it had occurred to me that I didn't need to get up at six anymore and could sleep in if I wanted to. Yesterday, I thought about starting to set my alarm an hour earlier and getting up at five. I'm so excited with what's happening in the studio, by what I've been learning and how things are coming together, that I want more time. YES YES!

It could be a combination of things. I decided that I was allowed to be a weather wimp if I wanted to be but that didn't excuse me from exercising so if I didn't want to go outside, I needed to do something inside. I've been spending 30-45 minutes a day on aerobic activities and will add some light weight and elastic exercises next week. I've also been spending an hour or so each morning working on a bible study (Experiencing God) and working through The Artist's Way and journal writing. These challenge my brain and stretch and grow me in positive ways. It's good.

I study and write and exercise before going into the studio otherwise, once I got there and was immersed in a project, I'd never get back to them even though they're important to me. I know myself, what I need to do first, and that I function WAY better with a routine, goals, and challenges.




Oil paint sticks have a bit of a smell so I washed the napkins a final time partly to get rid of the smell and partly to make sure the glitter would stick. Most of it did giving some energy to the napkin fabric. To add more, I cut up the napkins and spaced the pieces over a rust and blue batik. It took 2 1/2 of the six napkins to make this bag. The pieces were zigzag stitched around the edges with a rust thread securing them to the backing and batting. I forgot to take a picture of that stage.




Next, was a layer of red organza held in place with free motion thread work in a multi-colored thread. If you click on the image, you'll be able to see the rust stitching below. At this point, I was happy with the resulting fabric and especially with the sheen and richness that the organza added.




The thread lace was layered with batting and stitched with blue and then with rust thread to pull in those colors from the "napkin" fabric. The thread lace became the closure and the other fabric the main body of the purse. The blue button and variegated threads around the edge of the closure help to connect the two elements.




The sides and handle of the purse aren't finished yet. The beading workshop is this Thursday and we're going to discuss handle options. I'm waiting to see what I learn before closing the sides because the handles will need to be secured to the bag in some way and right now I'm thinking of a loop into the seam allowance. I want to see what ideas Carolyn - the clay and bead lady - has before I go ahead. A loop might not be the right support.

Not counting the dyeing and painting time, I've spent seven hours on this purse already. At any kind of hourly rate plus supplies and then doubled for the gallery fee that's an expensive purse which leaves me thinking about pricing, about the way I prefer to work, and about what motivates me.

Operating a home-based business will allow me to deduct a percentage of household expenses on my income tax as well as any supplies and research and development costs associated with the business. That includes the ArtFest and Marcy Tilton workshops, travel and accommodation, books and tools. If the business nets below a certain amount, Howard can deduct me as a dependent on his income taxes. Considering how lucrative a career in the arts usually isn't, that shouldn't be too difficult and makes owning a home-based business a win-win for our household.

SO... although I've said in the past that a business that makes money is a success and a business that does not make money is a failure, and I still believe that, I've decided to look at making money differently. Even though I may not be able to sell these products for what they should be worth, as long as I am covering my costs and making some profit it's a viable business and I am getting paid to do what I love to do. That's a change from what I'm doing now and gives me an opportunity to test the market and see the reaction to my work and how that differs from wall art - as in are there more opportunities for sales with wearable art than wall art.

AND... I'll be able to explore what if questions and to push my creativity. I love the idea of challenging myself to create forty bags, forty bracelets, and forty necklaces this year using a variety of skills and abilities. That's one a week for ten months and depending on how long they take, I may not hit that number but I can certainly head in that direction. Since I definitely do not need 120 wearable art items, I do need those gallery sales. I plan to market myself as an artist who creates high end, labour intensive, unique, one-of-a-kind, wearable art in limited quantities which will leave room to raise prices depending on which way things go. It's a different way of looking at things, especially for me. I've never been supportive of selling your work at cost plus a bit but that's the reality of our current economy and accepting it is a way for me to push ahead with my work. This is good. For the joy, the goal, and the challenge, I can learn to think differently.

Talk soon - Myrna


Grateful
- rescuing ugly fabric

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - When we open ourselves to exploring creativity, we open ourselves to God: good orderly direction. - pg 3, The Artist's Way, Julia Cameron

4 comments:

  1. I hear joy in your writing voice! That is one fabulous handbag and I love the techniques you used. I agree that we should get paid for what we make but sometimes it isn't as much as we would like due to the economy we live in.

    Have fun with your handbag and jewelry adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can read the excitement in your voice here. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way this fabric has evolved. the end result is so beautiful and unexpected. It's nice to see how much fun you are having, too. Reading your blog always makes me smile and generally gives me something to think about. Thank you so much for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I would never have recognized your beginning pieces! Glad you are finding a pleasant reason to hop out of bed each day, after your mid-winter slump.

    ReplyDelete