_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 12 January 2012

Quite Possibly The Right Direction

My studio time yesterday was completely experimental. I tried numerous methods for backing the pendants and concluded that I need to learn how to work with the polymer clay. So far, it's the only backing possibility that allows for completely organic shapes, integrated embellishment, surface texture, and color customization while providing endless options to create the look and the weight that I want for the jewelery. That's incentive enough to make it through the learning curve - LOL!




SO...  I rolled and baked another copper backing and once again it appeared under-baked because it was still slightly flexible. Carolyn answered another email full of questions and it seems to be the type of clay I'm using which means I want a different kind that will bake firm. I also need to figure out how to keep the pendant completely flat. Mine - with the back shown above - was somewhat bubbled coming out of the oven. I bought some smooth ceramic tiles yesterday to cut and bake the pendants on. That's what Carolyn used so I'm sure it's part of the answer - I hope.

Once I'm happy that I can create the shape of pendant I want, I'm going to work on the depth, texturing the edges and the back, creating bead holes or hanging mechanisms, and - LOL - imprinting my signature. Have to have that when it gets to the gallery. I'm intrigued with how this is going. It feels positive. Thank you so much for the feedback yesterday. Combined with how I feel, it's another indicator that this is quite possibly the right direction. YES YES!




Wendy is coming over to sew tonight. She's starting a new quilt. I'm not sure what I'll work on. Perhaps another bra as I really like the one that I sewed a few weeks ago. Several things were different about it that have turned out to be advantages. It's sewn from a woven fabric so there is no stretch in the cup at all making it highly supportive. There are two layers to the cup which would allow for a woven fabric to be used consistently on the inner layer to stabilize the shape while any fabric could used on the outer layer to look pretty. That has potential. The cup seam runs vertical through the bust point and is smooth and flattering. The straps are also non-stretchy. They are sewn from interfaced fabric with a short 2" piece of elastic at the back where it's attached to the back band. This is enough to allow for movement without the straps loosening off so they remain customized for my body.  It's very comfortable. The pattern is Kwik Sew 3300.

Right now, I need to clean. We had two parties booked - and now a third - to look at the house this afternoon which is more than we've seen in months. Hopefully, one of them loves it so much that they put in an acceptable offer and things get moving - literally.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- options and viewers

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Why would you ever complain, O Jacob, or, whine, Israel, saying, "God has lost track of me. He doesn't care what happens to me"? Don't you know anything? Haven't you been listening? God doesn't come and go. God lasts. He's Creator of all you can see or imagine. He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch his breath. And he knows everything, inside and out. He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts. For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, They run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind. - Isaiah 40: 27-31

When it takes so long for answers to arrive, it's easy to wonder if God is listening. He always is. Usually, it's me who's not.

1 comment:

  1. Exciting news about the house viewings! Hopefully the trend will continue here on the Island and ours will be shown as well.

    Love the verses you shared. Some of my favorites.

    Have a great (and creative) day!

    ReplyDelete