_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 5 June 2012

A Thought Changing Thought

Every Tuesday morning, I have an acupuncture appointment. Normally, that's quite doable however - glancing at the clock - it seems that to include walking your daughter's dog is to get up an hour earlier. I guess she'll be walked later today. We've already had our trip outside.. and it's raining... and waiting does seem like a good and hopefully dry idea.




I was telling my daughter about the woman I talked to last week - the one who has lost 142 pounds and who runs for an hour and a half a day. I was trying to make a point for choosing reasonable goals that are attainable except my daughter said - if it's something you love, it's attainable. You can sew for an hour and a half a day. - which was a thought changing thought.




While I don't sew for an hour and a half every day, the logic applies as does the flip side that it - whatever it may be - becomes unreasonable and unrealistic when you do NOT love the activity although - to be fair - if I don't sew a couple days that week my hips don't widen, droop, and turn to flab. My mental health is another story.




After appointments and chores, I'll take my camera down to Suzanne's - a dress shop - to get pictures of the design details on some of their new stock. I asked permission on Saturday while the manager and I were discussing my workshop with Marcy Tilton. For the class, we need inspiration pictures. Taking pictures isn't something I do all that frequently but spending an hour and a half pouring over every detail of a new clothing line or several hours visiting shops around town or even out of town is not a problem. Fashion, fit, and how that is made fascinates me.




Howard's parents give me money every year for my birthday. Typically, I buy something I want but don't need because that's my criteria for gifts. Practical can happen at any other time of the year. I have never ever had a jean jacket mainly because if it fit my shoulders, it couldn't button around my hips. This one is actually sewn for bottom heavy women. To fit my shoulders nicely, I had to go up two sizes which correspondingly closed around my hips as you can see on Millicent. I LOVE the details. It's a frilly, flirty, feminine, jean jacket which seemed totally appropriate for my birthday. YEAH!

What do you do for an hour and a half every day that's easy - or hard?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - thought changing thoughts

2 comments:

  1. I have had a similar conversation with my husband when he laments there isn't time. I think there is always time if it's a priority. And if it's not a priority - it doesn't make me happy or provide basic necessities, then no, there isn't time. Sometimes those decisions are tough but anything that really teaches you about yourself isn't easy.
    When my in laws are visiting and my time is either at work or with them, I realize how much I like to putter. Just to sit for a bit by myself, maybe read the generally useless municipal newspaper, maybe put some dishes away. It's time in my own mind that is largely unstructured and I miss it when I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cycle for about 11/2 hours most days except Sunday. It's my other great love . I don't sew for that length of time each day but always have something in my hands.
    Brenda in the Boro UK

    ReplyDelete