_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 18 June 2012

Organic Fabric

It's been three days without a good night's sleep. I'm tired. I have a headache. And even though the lavender has been moved to a better location - the unused men's washroom - my allergies are acting up like crazy because advances in acupuncture aside, I apparently wasn't as ready to travel as I thought;. Oh well -  I'm here now - and glad..




This morning - when I wasn't sleeping - I sat sipping coffee and knitting in bed while being greeted by the morning sun and some local wildlife. It was such a beautiful beginning to a creative day. This area reminds me of a provincial campground about an hour from home. The sights and smells are familiar.




This beautiful butterfly is sitting on the wall just below the outside light of our cabin and I've seen it numerous times today on my way back and forth. Sometimes its wings are closed and other times they're furled as above. I began to wonder if it was somewhat symbolic.




Whenever I thought about this trip it was always a workshop with MARCY and diane because I knew so much more about Marcy's creativity. Today when Diane began to share her working process, I was suddenly looking at a woman who thinks as I do, one who is in the place I'm heading to and who will be my guide. As silly as it sounds, it was like finding my tribe, someone who speaks my language, someone who recognizes me.




Diane works spontaneously. She starts with something and does one thing and then one thing and then one thing and creates organic fabric that evolves itself into unique, never to be repeated, garments. It's a way of working reminiscent of how I created my art pieces and a way of working I've experienced when recycling garments. It's the process I've been hungering for since my return to fashion sewing, one that is beyond simply sewing a pattern. with technical skill.




The bag of linen, lace, and knit scraps from my two dresses is sitting back in the studio at home. When I return, they will be perfect for continuing the learning curve. Here in class, the only way to begin was with yardage, familiar shapes, and a touch of the unknown.

My starting point was a piece of 60" knit fabric. I layered two lengths long enough to reach from under the bust to the floor and then made four angled cuts to create eight wedges similar to the pattern pieces for a tulip skirt. No measuring. Just make the cuts and then start sewing. As of tonight, each wedge is sewn with randomly curved tucks, some pressed upward and others down . Tomorrow, I'll begin to shape the wedges into a skirt... or a dress... we'll see.

Synchronicity is an amazing thing. Just last week I wrote about zero waste sewing. In the past, I've talked about wanting to work in fashion the way I worked in textile art. Many times I've wished for someone who understood what I meant by - and what I was looking for within - that process. And here in one person, in her process, is the start of my path as if my wings are unfurling and I'm taking flight.

Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful
- Diane

6 comments:

  1. How exciting for you. Looking forward to seeing your creations. Hope you sleep well tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Looking forward to seeing what you learn and what you do with it.

    That's really wonderful that you've found a mentor in Diane - something you were not even expecting from her.

    I hope you're feeling well tomorrow after a great night's sleep.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you, that you found a mentor in Diane. I've used some of her patterns and have been inspired by her, but I definitely want to learn more of her techniques and design philosophy. It's wonderful you're able to do this, right now!
    I hope you sleep better tonight, and get some relief from your allergies. Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO delighted for you! What a gift to meet up with someone who resonates with you and who has so much to offer. Lois and Diane have been inspirational to me for many, many years. Lois was the very first person I ever met who was doing creative things with clothing.... I couldn't believe my eyes when I met her at a quilting conference in the 80s! She'd taken a pair of men's chino pants, turned them upside down and fashioned an amazing jacket... Yoweee!
    I am waiting with bated breath to see and hear what wondrous things you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So exciting to find your mentor! I'll be fun to see what you create.

    BTW that is a cecropia moth - one of the giant silk moths. So beautiful! And as far as I know, very uncommon that far west.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on finding your mentor. That would be such a relief if I found mine.

    ReplyDelete