_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Zero Waste

The pieces are cut out for the lace version of the Vogue 8743 dress and I've started basting them together to check the fit. It shouldn't be an issue considering I've already sewn a wearable muslin but you never know. This fabric is a very stable knit that will react similar but not identical to the linen. It's gorgeous, a mottled denim blue with swirling and floral motifs in the background. I bought it three or four years ago at Pacific Fabrics in Everett on a trip to Washington.




This lace version is longer - near ankle length - and has a V-neckline and sleeves. I left out the pleat at center front again and slimmed the seams through the hips and narrowed the hem by 2" each seam or 24" total. The goal is to create a garment with a slightly vintage feel and a graceful elegance. The dress is for the birthday celebration with my friend Caroline... speaking of which...

... we've decided to go out for our fancy dinner on the drive down to the workshop since we have two and a half days to meander our way there and only twenty-four hours - from noon Thursday to noon Friday - to get back to Portland, stay overnight, and take her to the airport - besides which - Fabric Depot is only fifteen minutes from the airport and we've been there before and we know it's an amazing store so we've decided to eat on the way down and shop on the way back - LOL.

If you know of a great restaurant or sites to see along the I-5 between the Canadian Border and Bend, Oregon, please let me know.




Before I forget to put this in, Jodie asked - Do you know of a shirt pattern for a sleeveless collared shirt that comes with the multi-cup sizing?

McCall's 6436 comes with A to DDD cup sizes. Remember to check to see if the armhole is the same size on both versions with and without sleeves. If it is, you may want to raise the armhole for the sleeveless version for more coverage. I typically cut an inch higher and adjust from there as necessary. I haven't sewn this top. I just ordered the pattern for my daughter. The three reviews on PatternReview.com refer to it as a great wardrobe builder.




Switching back topics, there were a lot of beautiful scraps left from cutting out the dress which had me thinking about the concept of zero waste. Like many woven garments, zero waste garments are cut to maximize yardage and tend to be square and shapeless. That doesn't work for me and leads to the question...




... how can I use as much of the fabric as possible while still creating garments that fit and flatter my figure? Multiple garments and embellishment are two possible answers.




Definitely I'll make a bra and panty set. Other than that, bits of lace embellished on dresses, skirts, and even jackets comes to mind especially after my trip to Suzanne's yesterday. The jacket above has a double lace ruffle along the hem running around the back from mid front on both sides. The sleeves and back are a ribbed knit. The front is a crinkly fabric the manager referred to as polyvore. I need to look up what exactly that is except gorgeous. The details along the jacket zipper and V collar are fabulous. I was thinking about a version using the lace and linen remnants.

The skirt is a cotton twill that looks somewhat distressed especially at the waist. The patches are a lace overlay. At the bottom each side is a knit with elastic gathers to pull it in and give shape. Top stitching along the seams adds detail.




The grey, black, and white dress is made completely from knits. The seams are sewn to the outside and could be stitched with a serger or coverpro. Some are embellished. The neckline trim is raw fabric folded and stitched to create a ruffle look with beading at center front. It's simple and effective.




There was an absolutely gorgeous blouse in the store on Saturday when I didn't have my camera that was gone on Tuesday when I went back. It looked like a traditional button up blouse only it was made from knit with embellishment and button details similar to another blouse I saw last year only can't find the picture of and will add if I do... which I did! The details were amazing but... apparently it was shipped out Monday because $160.00 for a blouse is beyond the price point of the ladies that live here. Yes. It's definitely beyond mine but I wouldn't mind sewing a version - LOL.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - to Diana, the manager at Suzanne's, for letting me take pictures of the stock in the store without having to buy something or pretend I was buying something

4 comments:

  1. The whole zero waste cutting thing really bugs me because, as you pointed out, the resulting garments look strange. I think you're on to something with using the leftovers in other projects. I just finished my first-ever quilt to use up my leftover fabrics. Rag rugs kind of fascinate me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myrna:
    Thanks for remembering my question. I'll check that pattern out. Appreciate the advice about the arm hole.

    Thanks so much, have a great rest of your week,
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Myrna, those pictures of garments remind me of a clothing label we have here in Australia http://threadz.com.au/
    They use lots of different fabrics in one garment, often knit fabrics. There is a shop who carries them near my work and they are very inspiring. I have bought a few pieces on sale as well.
    Lyn in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to play with Marcy and Diane - I am so envious! Their retreat is on my bucket list. It's going to be tough to achieve since I live on the east coast, but maybe some day it will work out. I hope you have a blast! Be sure to take pics to share here!
    Thanks for posting the photos from the boutique. I love that pieced dress - just my style. Isn't snoop shopping fun?!

    ReplyDelete