_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 28 June 2012

Some Of The Good Stuff

Several years ago, Caroline and I took a pant fitting workshop with Pati Palmer that was held in the Fabric Depot in Portland which is how we knew we needed to go back and why we stayed one night in Portland before she flew home.




The Fabric Depot is HUGE - as in the biggest department store you've ever seen and bigger kind of huge. It even has an outdoor yard sale section although I've never been out there. There's too much to see inside.  If you're thinking of visiting my advice is to eat first, leave the husband and kids at home, give yourself lots of time, save your pennies in advance, and check their website before planning your trip. Apparently, once a month they have a 35% off sale.




We spent a few hours there on the Thursday night after the workshop, a couple more on Friday morning before her flight, and I took Howard there just to show him what I was talking about before we left the city on Friday evening. 




In the bridal section, there are locked cabinets of embroidered and beaded laces that I can only assume are of the if you have to ask you can't afford it level of luxury. The piece above is beaded and stitched with three dimensional flowers. It was not in the locked cabinet. It cost...




.. $152.99 a yard. When Caroline and I saw that price tag, we carefully took our hands off and backed away from the fabric. In my town, $152.99 for a ready-to-wear garment is pretty pricey never mind for a yard of potential. Luckily, my stash is stashed up and unless it's a special occasion, I'm more than able to wait for the deal and pick up pieces like 100% linen - half price - in the bargain center - for $2.00 a meter. The blue linen that I made the Vogue dress out of a few weeks ago cost just that and since I bought ten meters for $20.00, there's more left in stash BUT... every once in a while...




... I want some of the good stuff, - the full price, get it now, don't have to wait for a great deal, just because you love it, good stuff - and especially the good stuff that is unavailable where I live. When I'm away on holiday, jewelry and fabric are my souveniers of choice. The pile above is my Marcy and Diane souvenier. They are all pieces I couldn't find at home and bought at a price higher than I'd normally pay. The top piece is for a nightgown or pj pants. The rest are to go together to make a cardigan as a wearable reminder of my sewcation.

Last fall, I wrote a post about the good stuff referring to higher end yarns and how fabulous they are to knit with. Although I already knew the value of quality fabrics, looking at the drape and hand of the fabrics Marcy and Diane are using inspires me to take it up a notch. I'll still be looking for amazing good deals and buying potential on sale but I will also be focusing on finding lovely feeling pieces and specialty trims to go with - the good stuff that can't be purchased elsewhere or on sale although...

... if you're a price watcher like I am, you'll already know that the price of dupioni silk on sale in Kamloops is more than the regular price at Fabricana, Fabric Depot, or on Marcy's site. Just like with groceries, knowing your prices helps you spot a good deal and shopping around does make a difference.

The thought occurred that Portland - and the Fabric Depot - are only nine hours from me. There is absolutely no reason why I can't visit more often, maybe yearly. Hmm... that's a definite something to think about.

Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - continued learning

6 comments:

  1. There's a store here that has some of that "just-look-don't-touch-expensive" lace fabric, too. But they also have other great stuff, so I like going in there once in awhile.

    Fabric Depot sounds like a great place - something to remember if I ever get to Portland. I wonder if there's one in Seattle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mari.hafenstein@att.net28 June 2012 at 20:04

    Having lived just across the Columbia River from Fabric Depot for 9 years, I was able to go there with great frequency...as in once a month. I did buy some of that fancy fabric and trim when they were on clearance or I had a coupon. I disliked living in the Pacific Northwest and we moved back home to Texas, but I surely miss Fabric Depot. I am so glad you had a great time at the workshop

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bargain shopper just like you but lately I've been using better quality fabrics for a few wardrobe basics. After many samples of fabric I'm still on the search for the right bottom weight knit for pants. One of these days I'll find it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Portland, but do not visit Fabric Depot very often, mostly because they always have the same things (for the most part). I do frequent Mill End, both stores - the flagship in Milwaukie and the smaller store in Beaverton (a few blocks from where I work). The selection is not as large, but much more interesting.

    Next time you come to Portland, Myrna, you should check out Mill End, along with a few stores downtown. Josephine's is very pricey and small, but the fabrics are fantastic. Also, the Button Emporium is just amazing. Remember - no tax!

    I must say though, I'm tempted to visit Fabric Depot this weekend, only because I haven't been there for a few years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy reading your blog and it has been especially fun reading about your trip, etc. I know how you feel...it's fun to go, but nice to get back home too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning a fabric shopping extravangza trip to the West Coast next year and The Fabric Depot is one of the places on my list! I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete