_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 19 June 2012

I Miss Millicent

So far, I've used one piece of black yardage and one spool of thread and everything else in my stuffed to the gills suitcase has remained untouched including the patterns. Go figure.




This morning, I sewed the eight panels together by lining them up at the top and the sides and stitching a wide seam that was then trimmed and pressed open. The ends are ragged. That's so simple. It sounds much easier to do than it was. In my typical style, I found myself over-thinking and trying to see too many steps ahead and to do my work Diane's way. Stop that. Do one thing. Do Myrna.

The resulting tubular yardage is on hold until I get back to the studio. It will be much easier to take my ideas forward using a dress form to audition and drape and pin the possibilities. I miss Millicent.  I could easily skip the rest of the holiday and head into the studio and Howard said he would understand but he's flying down anyway and he'd really like to take that holiday together. LOL - of course.




With that black garment on hold, my next project was undulating tucks. This is a recycled Chico's top in a linen rayon blend. It has wonderful color and drape and I'm learning how to steam and pull tucks into shape. Tucks are a signature part of Diane's work which is another similarity between us. I've long been in love with small buttons, loops, tucks, and flounces. I imagine they'll be showing up in my work more often now as I begin incorporating more of my style. 

Both Marcy and Diane have an amazing repertoire of fabric combinations. They are rich and flowing with a lovely hand that is not necessarily what you expect from the pattern photos. Now that I've seen many of Marcy's garments made up in her selection of fabrics, patterns that I previously thought wouldn't suit my figure type have endless possibilities. I'm encouraged to play more. Both women treat the pattern as a vague outline and within that blank canvas is a playground.

How to play - my way - is a huge take-away of this workshop. Fit has become a much smaller question. I'm seeing how I can make the parts and use the lines and elements I need from the pattern to bring it all together and it's a giant step away from cut on the lines. In fact, you rarely cut on the lines until you're somewhere near the end. Sewing the garment in this more creative way is a combination of making parts, forming pieces, draping, and technique. Fit is the end step that brings it all together but it's rarely more than having the right shoulder and armhole and neckline. The shaping is built into the fabric and into the side seams. I'm not explaining that right but hopefully as I begin to do more work of this nature you'll see what I mean.

Over dinner, I was telling my friend that a person needs to come twice just to know how to pack . She replied that she doubted she'd come again, that once was enough, and she was ready to move on. It wasn't unexpected. It's obvious that we're having completely different experiences. In contrast, I can't imagine moving on any time soon, possibly never, I have more ideas than I have lifetime to explore and I haven't even gotten started. Even so, it was somewhat sad to hear her take on things as I've already put down a deposit for next year. When I talked it over with Howard he said if you're getting that much out of it you need to go again. LOVE that man.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- for how all the skills and experiences we have had in the past can be brought forward into our current creative endeavours making them both more possible and more enriching

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear how well the workshop is going for you! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I missed this post until just now. I really like the tucks in the top, and the concept of using a pattern as a jumping off place. I've been doing that and have found the garment more clearly becomes an expression of myself.
    Glad to hear you had such a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete