_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 29 June 2012

Home Sweet Studio

On Tuesday, we drove around town and then followed the signs from Astoria to a place called Jewell. In my mind, Jewell sounded like a quaint village set amongst the trees, perhaps with an interesting gallery or gift shop or some independent artists. I'm not sure we ever found Jewell. Twenty-nine winding miles later we arrived at an elk reserve minus the elk. That may have been it. There was not much else around.




When we got back to our hotel, we spent a couple hours walking down the boardwalk and back and then another couple reading books and checking the internet from the couch in our suite. We were touristed out and more than ready to go home which was...




... either a really long day or one medium and one short day. Since you can't predict how long the border will take, we opted to stay in Washington and cross over in the morning. We got there about 8:00 and there were very few cars, only one lane open, and the border guard basically waved us through... even me... with all my fabric.




There's a point along the road between the border and home where you can see Merritt in the distance even though it takes another seven minutes to get there. I adore that point because Merritt is the last town before Kamloops and our home is on the outskirts of the city. Seeing Merritt means that we'll be home in less than an hour.




We always unpack and put away right away. I'd rather get it over with. If I wait, I have increasingly less energy for the task and it takes forever. Better to just do it.

Howard washed his clothes first. I washed my fabric. Three loads. Plus patterns. Plus trims and notions.  Since my studio is half the size it used to be and I've already downsized considerably, it was a bit of a struggle to find places for everything.

Trying to find space reminded me that the last time I planned a year of play there were actually two criteria. One was to go into the studio each (week) day and the other was to use what I already had. Using what you have pushes creativity tremendously. It also uses up stash. I've decided to adopt that rule again and to reward myself by putting away some money each payday for next June when I'm down in Oregon again. Shopping with cash is always way more fun.

I'm reading You Are What You Wear: What Your Clothes Reveal About You by Jennifer Baumgartner. The first several chapters are on the overstuffed closet, the inability to get rid of unsuitable clothing, and the thrill of the sale. There are questions in each chapter to answer indicating whether you do or do not have a problem in that particular area. If we use the word clothes, there's no problem. If we substitute the word fabric... or patterns... or sewing books... I may need to give this more thought - LOL. I came home to three orders from Vogue Patterns with another on the way. Hmm...




This morning, we went for breakfast at one of our favourite restaurants and it was lovely to know what to expect and to be recognized and acknowledged. We are enjoying being back among the familiar although both of us commented on how we haven't lived in our house long enough for coming home to feel really comfortable. That was kind of weird even though it's great to be here. It's been forever.

For an introvert like myself - someone who is used to spending six or seven hours alone each day - spending sixteen days with other people has been exhausting. Other than breakfast with my son tomorrow and coffee with the one friend I have called to let know I'm back, I'm not much interested in people. I'm going to fondle my fabric, breath in the studio atmosphere, and sew.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - home sweet studio

1 comment:

  1. Myrna, I lol about coming home and wanting to spend time touching fabric. I too am an introvert and fully understand wanting time by yourself.
    I leave in a couple of weeks for 2 weeks to a warmer climate and fabric shopping is on the agenda. We will be in Seattle and Vancouver BC.
    This week I am madly sewing up some summer clothes -- I am in need of shorts and sleeveless tops.
    Have fun with all your new sewing treasures.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete