_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 8 June 2012

More Zero Waste Thinking

There's sunshine again this morning. I'll go for a walk first thing just in case it disappears by mid morning like yesterday. Teaser sunshine. Even so, I had a lovely breakfast with a friend to celebrate my birthday followed by some meandering along main street and then a few errands, some cleaning, some cooking, some sewing. All good.




I'm starting to get organized for my trip and wore my purple watch to breakfast even though it didn't have a battery to remind myself to buy one because just down the street from the restaurant is a fabulous dress and accessories shop that has batteries. They also had this gorgeous silver watch with rhinestones that somehow managed to come home with me - LOL.




I didn't get as much done sewing-wise as I would have liked yesterday however, the lace layer is seamed and pressed and ready to join to the lining. There's some debate about how to finish the seams on a lace garment. I serged them and they are not at all visible as it's a dense lace. Good and enough.

You know how I say I can see potential everywhere? It can get crazy. Without my space limits, I'd be so in danger of becoming a hoarder. The twelve long narrow strips of lace that were cut off by the serger seemed like a fabulous start for some thread lace for a purse or embellishment. I saved them. More zero waste thinking.




Fabricland had more of the black knit. I didn't buy the entire bolt but certainly a great portion of it. I wanted some for the workshop, some for a nightgown, and some for the skirt in Marcy Tilton's Vogue 8637 pattern to list a few ideas. The skirt calls for moderate stretch knits only and suggests lightweight double knit, ponte knits and microfiber knits. The one I bought is much thinner, very stable, and has fabulous drape. It may be too soft for the design but - LOL - lucky me, I can ask the designer what she thinks.




I was rereading the instructions for the workshop and they ask for three inspiration pictures. You might think the number doesn't matter only Marcy is quite emphatic about less is more. I have a lot more than three pictures just from my trip to Suzanne's dress shop alone. Above is the hemline of a dress. The edge is trimmed in black and there's a narrow elastic sewn about 1/2" from the edge. It's the same polyvore fabric that the black jacket was made from in an earlier posting. I think it's a simple and effective detail but then again I'm a real sucker for small ruffles and for...



... pleats. These are on the side hemline of a completely different dress. There was also an absolutely gorgeous pocket. I liked the details but the compilation of fabric was a bit chunky looking. 




Today - a walk, bath the puppy ready for my daughter and son-in-law's return this afternoon, grocery shopping, cleaning, and make corn chowder for another family dinner tonight. This weekend, I want to finish the dress, put together a present for my friend that I'll tell you about next week because it's only an idea that needs exploring at this stage, and start sorting to pack. After talking about the workshop for almost a year, I leave next week. YEAH!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- small bursts of sunshine are better than no sunshine at all

1 comment:

  1. Hi Myrna, I've been jealously reading about your preparations for Marcy & Diane's workshop... maybe someday! Wondering if you can give me a definition of polyvore fabric. I googled it just now and keep being referred to a social network about styling clothing... but nothing about a specific fabric... I'm intrigued. Have a wonderful time at the workshop and I will be waiting with bated breath for your posts!

    ReplyDelete