_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Sunday 17 June 2012

Behind Those Magic Doors

We left early Friday morning and meandered our way not getting too far, too fast. Several hours were spent in the Fabricland in Chilliwack not even three hours from home. We bought bits and bobs and trims. They were buy one meter get three free. And fabric. Of course.





Our hotel in Everett was across the street from Pacific Fabrics - an absolutely lovely store. It was surprising to find that the fabric is way more expensive here in the United States than what I'm used to paying at home which only means I need to focus on what I can't get less expensive elsewhere. Knits. With patterns. Specialty pieces.




The longest drive was between Everett and Bend. We may have zigged and zagged more than I anticipated but we only arrived thirty minutes later than planned which wasn't too bad. Greg's Grill where we had our dress up dinner was in the middle of an amazing shopping area. On Sunday we spent several hours at Chico's checking out trims and details and thoroughly enjoying ourselves before driving to Sisters.




The lodge - Five Pines - where the workshop is being held is very beautiful. We were assigned a cabin with a bathroom surely bigger than my bedroom, a large main room with a king size bed, sitting area, and fireplace, a kitchenette, an alcove with a second queen size bed, and a back deck. It was lovely just to put our feet up, sit down, and be still for a while in the somewhat cooler breeze with the trees swaying overhead.




The cabins are around a pond, completely with loudly croaking frogs. I'm typing this from my bed after our introductory circle and I can just hear their music through the walls and windows - not that it'll keep me up - I'm quite tired.




Behind those magic doors is the classroom. It's large and bright and seems like it'll be a fabulous place to work. So far, the only negative has been a one pound bowl of lavender in the middle of the shopping area. It has given me a screaming headache. Another woman mentioned that it was affecting her as well so I'm hoping she'll speak up louder and something will become of the lavender. I really would rather not do that although I'd rather not be sick either. Sigh. So frustrating in this age of so many allergies. 

There are twenty-seven of us in the class. Many of the women have come numerous times before which is the best kind of recommendation. I found myself vacillating between excitement, intimidation, and a feeling of finally - finally I just may be in a classroom that will challenge and inspire me and with women who want to be creative in a similar way to how I want to be creative. Time will tell.

Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful
- safe travels

3 comments:

  1. mari.hafenstein@att.net18 June 2012 at 05:26

    Mention the lavender to someone. I am sure it is there to make you relax and linger. Just have them remove it. My poor sweet mother had to quit going to church because of the incense there. Do not let that spoil your time there. Have a ton of fun.

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous setting to have a workshop in. I think I would be outside walking and looking around and not inside. Enjoy your time and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd mention the lavender straightaway, Myrna. You need a clear head to take in all the class material and make the most of your sewing retreat. The hosts will surely understand in this day of rampaging allergies.

    Gorgeous spot - enjoy yourself to the hilt!

    ReplyDelete