_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 13 August 2009

A Pattern Info Class

Blogger is being difficult today. It won't allow me to cut and paste pictures or move text around. I had to rewrite this post to get the two together.

This morning, I'm driving to Vernon (1 1/2 hours) to take a pattern info class with my friend Lorraine. She's a professional pattern drafter and we're going to talk about the different companies (Big 4) and their particular pattern lines. There are seven or eight of us attending and I'm looking forward to spending time with other women who sew.

Lorraine is one of the few people I know who knows more than I do about fashion sewing. She's incredibly inspirational. It's FABULOUS to spend time with her talking construction and gourmet details. After the class, we're going out for lunch and then over to the sale at Fabricland. NOT that I need any fabric. I certainly have enough. What I do want is a bolt of muslin for testing patterns. Making a muslin saves a LOT of time.

Earlier this week, Vogue had an on-line sale. Patterns that are normally between $24.00 and $30.00 were on for $5.99 so I ordered the six below. Here's why...




The black t-shirt and jeans wardrobe that I've been wearing for most of the past twenty years hasn't leaned toward soft and feminine. That's something I'd like to put back into my wardrobe. This top is not only easy to sew but flowing and pretty. It would look great longer and belted over a straight skirt. I prefer the simpler sleeve. Too many ruffles are not me. The gathers at the neck will be a big enough change. Most likely, I'll start with a matching tie rather than a co-ordinating one or perhaps I'll make more than one tie.



The grey dress with the three quarter sleeves looks warm and cozy. I can see it in a brushed flannel or a knit with tights and boots. While I wear skirts often (especially as summer "shorts") it's been forever since I owned a dress because my body is not one size. If the dress fits my hips, it's too big in the shoulders and if it fits the shoulders, it's indecent over the hips. Making, having, and wearing a dress is going to be something new and completely different. This one is easy to fit because of the waist seam, which is recommended for someone with a sway back or with high hips like mine.



I mentioned a few weeks ago that I like straight skirts and that my friend Caroline and I were trying to lower our frump factor by making styles that we know look good on us with more interest. This skirt is asymmetrical with some seaming that adds attention without screaming look at my hips - although my husband says that my hips are one of my best assets (no pun intended) and that I should play them up more (along with my eyes and hair). Hmm... isn't he sweet. I also like the softly draped jacket. It's a lot like a sweater I bought a few years ago and wear practically all spring and fall.




The drama of this collar is what intrigues me along with the princess lines. They make fitting my body type much easier. The seams are top stitched for extra attention which is VERY fun. I think this would look fabulous in denim. Again, for winter, I could wear it with tights. The long sleeves are more casual. The sleeveless version says party - at least to me.




Like the collar in the previous pattern, this skirt has drama. The reviews on PatternReview.com were excellent. Most of the women highly recommended the pattern even though it is labour intensive. Apparently, it's worth the work. I don't need a huge wardrobe so I'm intrigued with patterns that are different and challenging with gourmet details that will take more time to sew. This pattern fits that description.

Yesterday, I started on the last set of pieces for the exhibit. These three are on the theme of texture and are 12", 24", and 36" wide. I started with the smallest one hoping to get it finished fairly quickly at which point I'll be 78% done. That sounds fabulous in two ways - I'll have mostly completed the exhibit and I'll be that much closer to my fashion sewing time. YES YES. As you can see, I've got plans.

Anna wrote - I am content but not lazy. It's difficult to explain.

I get it. It's not as if we're not wandering around aimlessly. We have a sense of purpose and direction. We're just not overworking it, which is in itself work although work that is - I'm guessing - well worth the effort. When I think back on how much I have learned and how I've grown over just the past few years, I do the happy dance. Glitches and all, life continues to improve - increasingly so as I trust more and do less.

Elizabeth wrote - I know exactly what you mean about the way in which some people sail through life without seeming to have too many problems.

Thanks for understanding. It's more an observation than a whine. I know you know what I mean by that. Life hasn't been handed to me (us) on a silver platter and in many ways I'm (and maybe you are too) very thankful for that. Through hard work, I have developed a solid work ethic and a strong sense of self respect for and confidence in my abilities. I'm proud of myself - in a good way - although, if I'm completely honest - LOL - it'd sure be nice to try the golden spoon routine just to compare.

I once heard a quote worded something like this - if you haven't experienced difficulty in life, you're simply waiting in line because tough stuff comes to everyone at some point in time. It seems to me that there must be an opposite and equal reaction to that - if you haven't experienced smooth sailing in life, you're simply waiting in line because good stuff comes to everyone at some point in time. Afterall, life is an ebb and flow.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful: a day of fashion

1 comment:

  1. Myrna, I love the sentence - Life is an ebb and flow. I think that's brilliant. As for what you said about your comments yesterday being more of an observation than a whine, I would also agree with that. Although in some ways, I have not had an easy life, like you, I have a brilliant husband, therefore a happy marriage, for which I am very grateful! That's my good stuff!!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete