_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 27 August 2009

Famous Last Words

The one thing - guaranteed - that will get between me and all my good intentions to use what I have is if what I have is not what I want or can't be made into what I want. Yesterday morning, curled up in the chair in the corner of the studio, writing in my journal, I wondered "why is this piece taking so long". Was it just because I really REALLY want to be done and the faster I go, the longer it seems to take or.... And then it occurred to me what was "wrong" - I was meandering all over the background fabric when my intention had been to stitch horizontal lines as per the rest of this series. Oh dear!

Another thing - guaranteed - that will make me do a whole lot of work that someone else might think is irrelevant or ridiculous is if not doing that work means the resulting piece won't fit my vision. ALL the color pieces have vertical lines. ALL the lines & shapes pieces have curved lines. ALL of the texture pieces were to have horizontal lines. Famous last words. Apparently, there is still some matchy-matchy in me because it is so NOT me to have one piece that doesn't meet the criteria.

I spent an hour and a half pulling out the meandering stitching at which point I'd reversed about a third of it and decided that I had better things to do with my life and this patched piece could become another project because I was off to buy more fabric - another meter of the background batik and - while I was there - another meter of the black batik for the bindings. I was worried about whether I'd have enough. Now, I do for sure.

Having made most of the decisions, I think - hope - am pretty sure - that these fabric purchases were my last for this project. The nine pieces should complete with what's in the studio although thread could be another matter. I'm not far enough along yet to know. Isn't it amazing how much fabric or thread or whatever we can already have in the studio and still not have the exact right one?




This piece is in my bathroom. I took an image from the side to show you all the amazing texture it has. It also has the right colors. It would have been WONDERFUL if it could have worked into the series and - God knows - I tried to figure out how to fit it in only it doesn't go. Ms. Matchy-Matchy showing up again. SO... moving on - LOL.




I love this flexible "shoe-lace" cording. Not sure what it's called but it moves and melds wonderfully and can be easily stitched through. I've used it on several projects already. Yesterday, I played with the navy until it looked like it could work and then I dyed the white to the same lime as in the batik. In the first image it looks too mint-ish and below that it looks...




... quite pale. It must be the angle of light because it's a lot darker in real life and goes perfect with the batik. The loops are going to work fabulously. The cord was wet last night so I had to wait until this morning to continue on. Wendy is coming this afternoon. Hopefully that means LOTS of work gets done today. I need to run around and clean up a bit before she gets here - especially the bathroom.




I'm very hopeful of saying I'M DONE tomorrow or Friday night at the latest. It's oh so close. I've started thinking about colors for the canvasses. They'll all have black edges but the tops will depend on the piece. This weekend, Howard is going to put the hanging wires on. Next week, painting. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - Ted Kennedy's death yesterday made me think about my legacy. I'm thankful that I have a good relationship with my husband and with my children and son-in-law. I believe that life is about relationships. I was UNBELIEVABLY appalled by some of the comments made on Ravelry about Mr. Kennedy. I cannot imagine speaking like that and I'm an outspoken woman. When I think about my footprint in the world, although not perfect, I'm hopeful that my attempts to live a life that is supportive and encouraging of others is sending out good ripples. After reading those comments, it seems a bonus if our ripples are noticed or appreciated. It seems many would prefer to focus on our mistakes. I'm grateful that I'm learning to live MY LIFE irregardless of what people think.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it a statement of where our society is when negative statements out weigh the positive statements. I feel so out of sync. I try so hard to stay positive because it is the most productive attitude to have. Then I have to wade through someones negative comments until I want to throw a stone.

    Thank God for the people who live a positive life and share it too. They are listed in the Beatitudes as those who mourn, are merciful, are pure in heart, and are the peacemakers. I believe that Senator Kennedy became each of these as he matured and evolved into the man we revere today. Although I am not a member of his political party and rarely vote for a member of his party, I believe he became a man that all can remember as a positive man.

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete