_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 17 August 2009

Living Without

On Thursday, I enjoyed lunch the event but not lunch the meal. After repeated conversations with the waiter and checks with the cook, my salad came not only with gluten but a creamy dill dressing. It ended up going back while I waited for a substitute salad which I ordered quickly to keep up with the other woman. It contained ingredients that I don't like and no protein which I really needed.

On Friday, we went to pick up Kyle from camp and stopped for dinner. Typically at any restaurant there are two or three things on a menu that I can order (if I'm lucky) and they involve plain chicken, beef, or fish. At this one, I could have salmon with no sauce, vegetables with no drizzle, no rice or rice pasta, and no potatoes because they were deep fried with the calamari and then rolled in butter (read dairy and possible gluten and shellfish exposure). I ended up with a double batch of vegetables which were mostly peppers.

Howard's meal started with a salad. I couldn't have one because they didn't have a suitable dressing and weren't willing to mix an oil and vinegar one up nor transfer a balsamic one from a different dish. Howard also had warm bread with garlic butter which I know is yummy because I had it in my "previous" life before this burst of allergies. Other than people can't order shellfish around me because I'll react, I don't believe my family or friends should do without something just because I can't eat it. However, watching him made me want to burst into tears.

Typically these "plain" meals are for more expensive. A few weeks ago when I went on the road trip, I paid $37.00 for a salmon dinner. Hello - there's something wrong. I could have bought two complete salmons for that price. Not only is the food often boring, it's expensively boring.




On Saturday, I picked up the latest issue of Living Without: The Magazine For People With Allergies And Food Sensitivities. Under the letters to the editor section, one woman writes about how insulting the magazine's title is and why she won't buy it because of that and another suggests a different title because this one speaks of deprivation. The editor comments that they've debated the title several times, even polled their readers, and that the majority agree that they are living well while living without. Really?

It would be much better if food allergies happened to someone who hated to eat out and loved to cook. That's not me. As far as I'm concerned, the title is dead on. I am living without. Did I mention that I now can't eat fermented things - like soy sauce and wine? Or that soy has a distinctive taste so all those substitute butters, cream cheeses, and sour creams that are made from soy do not taste like what they are supposed to taste like - they taste like soy. It's like putting ketchup on everything. Suffice to say that the list of what I'm avoiding just keeps getting longer. Pretty soon, I'll just tell people the few things that I can eat. I will be SO HAPPY if this goes away when menopause is over.

Sunday was a rough day. That evening, Howard wanted to take me out for dinner thinking it would cheer me up. At one time, yes. Right now, NOT. The last thing I wanted to deal with was ignoring 97% of the menu and settling for plain and boring after intensive discussions with a waiter who thought I was just being picky and difficult to deal with - especially expensively plain and boring. And even then, I might end up sending my meal back while Howard ate. We stayed home.

As I was picking away at my chili, tears started rolling down my cheek. What I really wanted was Fettuccine Primavera at Pete's Pasta along with a glass of white wine and their amazing house salad. There's not a single thing in that restaurant that I can now eat. It used to be my favourite place to go.

I was feeling sorry for myself and then I was mad at myself. THOUSANDS of people around the world are going to bed hungry every night. Canned chili would be an amazing luxury. I need to focus on the abundance, rather than lack, in my life and I want to but it doesn't always work. Occasionally, I'm just miserable and whiny. For Christmas this year, I'd like a cook!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful: resources, even if they're cook books that don't actually cook!

5 comments:

  1. Myrna -- That must have been a lousy experience! Perhaps your waiter(s) was/were tired. No excuse I know but an explanation perhaps? Usually waiters are anxious to be helpful. I found this website that lists some gluten-free restaurants in British Columbia. Hopefully there are some listed that will interest you.
    http://www.celiachandbook.com/canada.html

    Hugs, Charmion

    ReplyDelete
  2. M - It's okay to miserable and whiny! As a committed vegetarian/almost vegan, it is often difficult for me to eat out as well. I call ahead and review menus on the internet before I'll go out. Many ethnic restaurants are an option for me.

    I have learned that unless it is a restaurant where I know I'll be able to eat, I always eat ahead and bring something in my purse as well. (I'm evil when I don't eat!!)

    Currently, we are exploring the real possibility that my husband also has a gluten allergy. I am finding it is a much more pleasant experience to actually cook at home. (Painful for you to hear I'm sure!!!)

    You also have to examine, why you are eating out...is it to experience the great food? to be with loved ones? If you are miserable during the whole meal, what's the point? If you have a "delicious, gluten-packed meal" and then are sick for a week, what's the point? Maybe you can contact Pete's Pasta and ask them if they have or are willing to make something gluten free?

    I've found that I actually enjoy the nutritious food (that my body actually craves) and I really regret the "junk" that I occasionally just "gotta have."
    You're right all that soy-substitute stuff -- YUCK. RUN don't walk.

    It's a lifestyle change, not a deprivation!! You'll feel great and your body will thank you for hanging in there and making the changes. No stop whining about what you can't have and enjoy, really enjoy, something that you can have.

    Okay, I'll get off my disjointed soapbox now.

    Hang in there, you know it'll get better.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myrna,
    I would like to leave a helpful and encouraging comment, but ... GOSH, what you are going through right now sounds just plain frustrating! I can tell you that completing menopause is wonderful!
    Cassy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myrna,
    I never had the problems you are having with menopause. In 1989 I underwent a complete and total hysterectomy. Voila, instant menopause completion.

    Truly I feel for you. I am on a low fat diet because of an achy pancreas. My difficulties don't begin to compare with yours.

    Everyone deserves a little time on the "pitty pot". Make sure it is long enough to really get it out of your system. Then keep on keeping on and you will feel better physically as well as mentally.

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myrna, I am also experiencing many of those frustrations -- diabetes and colitis, make food choices quite a chore when eating out. I consider my self lucky to not have the gluten allergy, but avoid breads and such simply because of the 'diabetic' factor in them. We are about to embark on a drive across the prairies and have invested in a small portable gas stove because a pot of veg soup will fill my belly when no suitable restaurant is findable. I am leary of this trip because I will have to be extra vigilant about meals -- hope I don't starve -- must make sure to have protein bars along too, I guess!

    ReplyDelete