_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 6 August 2009

No Matter What You Call It

Susan Being Snippy wrote - I read with interest your calculations and estimate of value of your current stash. I would like to say, that contrary to previous comments - I think that once you have purchased an item, tool, book, or stash, it essentially becomes valueless, except to yourself.

You may have missed the beginning of the conversation Susan. My insurance agent and I have been talking over how to insure the replacement value of my studio, whether that should be done under a business policy like a music teacher or under our home policy, and for how much.

While I completely understand and agree with your perspective in terms of time spent creating and the ability to make gifts (see Susan's comment yesterday if you don't know what I'm referring to) my posting wasn't about the emotional aspect of creativity. It's just cold hard facts of actual replacements costs that would occur for either home or business purposes. Think about them ONLY in terms of insurance.

Should something terrible happen - and one thinks of those things with fires raging all around - I'd want to be able to replace as many of these supplies and equipment as possible because, no matter what you call it - inventory or stash -without those supplies, there would be no gifts or donations and definitely no playing. To me, they are incredibly valuable as opposed to valueless. They are a major part of my essence of being.

The insurance value is not so much about what something cost you as it is about what it would cost to replace. Here's a reverse example. My curl up chair was free because a friend was changing her furniture and giving it away. Replacing it in the event of fire or flood would cost between $1,500 and $2.000, which I know from shopping for one prior to getting this one for free. Now that I've had - and absolutely love - the chair for several years and have spent countless hours reading, journal writing and creating from that chair, I'd definitely want another one and that's the whole point of insurance.

Now that I'm closing the business, we've had to make changes to our policies. In order to know for sure that our current package is somewhat in the ballpark for replacing everything, it seemed a wise idea to have a good guesstimate of what the contents are worth. That and Louise's thoughts earlier prompted yesterday's posting.

As the comments show, it's quite shocking to see that end figure and from my teaching experience I know that most women have a LOT more than I do. Even those who think they don't have a lot in their studio might be surprised at how much those supplies add up to. If the studio includes one sewing machine and a serger, a small selection of fabric and thread, notions of any kind, a desk, a chair, and ironing equipment, and any kind of pressing or cutting surface, as well as rotary cutting supplies, the total is already well over ten thousand. I'd hate for anyone to be under-insured.

I'm glad I posted those thoughts yesterday because they have a lot of readers thinking about their own studio which is wise from both an insurance and a purchasing point of view. Now that I'm retired my creative needs are changing. One of my goals is to shift the contents of my studio in the direction of change. Right now, they reflect twenty years of being in a textile business.



I was rather surprised to note yesterday that - 26 years later - the value of my current studio is about the same as what I paid for my first house. That thought occurred to me as I was stitching around the outside of the circles with a rayon thread (from stash) and debating what color to use on the inside (from stash). I'm still pondering how I feel about that reality. Meanwhile - see the turquoise on the inside of the circle? It's the felt pen from tracing the shapes. Bad choice. I trimmed it off before adding the inner thread work that you see in the image below. PROGRESS has been made. This is good.




Yesterday, Howard and I had coffee on the porch, went for a walk, and then out for breakfast. We went to a restaurant right on the sidewalk downtown across from the farmer's market. The weather was perfect and sunny. It was quite lovely. After we got home, he played in the workshop and I spent some time stitching in the studio. It was a quiet, leisurely day - just like a holiday should be. Today will be much the same.

A small celebration - all but two of the fabrics for the lines & shapes pieces and all of the thread so far have come from my stash. So did the batting, backing, interfacing, fusible web, and basting spray. As you can imagine, it's a huge relief to NOT have to pay for these supplies right now. I'm so thankful. It helps me to enjoy this last exhibit rather than feel pressured and stressed by the expense. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the texture pieces. I'm pretty sure that I'll have almost all of their ingredients as well. YES YES. That would be fabulous.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - all the circles are stitched

3 comments:

  1. I just had to elaborate on my comments of yesterday... I do totally understand the insurance value, replacement value idea. As I said, I do have a contrary way of thinking and doing and yes it COULD cost alot to replace much of what I have in my sewing room, just the sewing machine is $2000+! But the contrary part of me is the Second Hand Rose part. To be completely honest -- I buy everything from tools to fabric to sewing machines from the second hand sources out there -- I bought 300 spools of thread, good quality cottons and poly blends for $10 bucks at a garage sale -- at retail prices they would have been probably close to $1000! Yes a very lucky deal, but since I only spent 10 bucks, I could not in good conscience make a claim for loss of a $1000. The same is true for alot of my tools, including most of my rulers and even a huge, 36 x 24 cutting mat that I paid very little for as compared to the retail price. Part of this system of buying means I don't buy stuff that I need today, but that I might need in the future, so the purchase of that cutting matt was actually done when I still had a good mat, though knowing it would someday need to be replaced. I do need to be very carefull with this method of shopping though. And yes, I also know that most of us, do not shop the same way as I do, so in reality, it is a good idea to carry insurance on your possessions, I surely cannot argue with that fact. I have house insurance and car insurance but not life insurance (that one really bugs me--why should someone else get money just cause I die? even if it is family members?)
    Then again, I guess I really am contrary to most because I have always felt that if I really think I need insurance, that probably means I have too much stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna,
    having read both yesterday's and today's blog, I am definitely going to re-evalute my sewing room. I know that my machines are insured but I have never thought about anything else and I do have a lot. So a HUGE thank you for mentioning it - it has made me look at things in a new light. As for Susan saying that she couldn't claim for replacements of the things for which she paid $10- I have to say that if they were things I constantly used, I would! After all, my understanding of insurance is that it replaces what you have lost. I have items that are 30 years old but use constantly and to replace them would cost mcuh more than I paid so I would use insurance. Thanks again for a great blog.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth said it very well.

    Insurance is for the replacement cost and not the actual purchase price. If I buy a stove at a 50% savings and a fire destroys my home and the stove, then I need the full cost of the stove or have to wait for it to go on sale.

    Having said that, insurance fraud is a very big item with the economy the way it is. If you have a junky stove that is on its last legs you have to be very careful about replacement cost. Make sure that your insurance is actually replacement and not for the money you spent on the item.

    I speak from experience. I work for a large insurance company. Even as an employee in a non insurance related part of the company, I am required to report fraud if it comes to my attention. A perfect example is a bill from my hospital. I had changed medications for my infusion for Rheumatoid Arthritis and the hospital changed me for the old medication. It would have cost the insurance company $20,000.00 extra. Since I researched the bill myself with the hospital I was given a finders fee which was a portion of the reimbursement the insurance company received.

    There is a fine line between insurance and insurance fraud. Keep you agent informed and he/she will supply you with the most important and legal advice possible.

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete