_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 5 August 2009

What's It Worth?

Louise wrote - You astounded me a bit with your estimate that your fabric is worth more than $25K. It makes me wonder what my studio contents are actually worth - I did insure my equipment and supplies for $20K when I started at this location but may have to revise that upwards once the inventory gets completed.

IMHO $20k is a VERY low estimate. It's an eye opener, and perhaps good for us, to get an idea of how much our studios are actually worth. Just a guesstimate stops me in my tracks in terms of buying more things than I need.

After teaching Studio Makeover for years, I know that the amount of stuff in my studio PALES in comparison to the norm. While teaching, I saw pictures of studios that were impossible to navigate and met women who had entire fabric rooms, multiples of almost everything, and huge collections of fabric, books, and patterns. Many had more than one studio.




In fact - if I'm totally honest, which I usually am - it was teaching that class and seeing those pictures that encouraged me to continue limiting purchasing. As many of you know, I set physical space limits for the different ingredients in my studio. For example, the two fabric cupboards above are the maximum amount of hand dyed and cotton fabric that I will purchase. They are much fuller right now than when this picture was taken several years ago. Since then, I have dyed over 200 meters of fabric which was added to the total. I was able to do that because I had the space.




Another good example of setting space limits would be for yarn. I returned to knitting about two years ago. At that point I had very little yarn and almost no pattern books. Adding something to the studio meant (for me) taking something away as I don't allow myself to ooze.

In the picture below of the Work Island, the end where the chair is, is the shelf above which now contains my yarn. The baskets that were there were reorganized to new locations. Typically that means getting rid of things that I'm no longer using. For example, I gave away or sold older books in order to make room for the new knitting ones. I only allow myself the two shelves of books. I thoroughly clean my studio at least twice a year.

I know that for several of you this way of being sounds absolutely ridiculous. For me, it's not. There are so many good sales around and books I'd like to read and tools I'd like to try and new and luscious threads that would be fabulous to have that if I didn't have limits on my behaviour, it would be very easy to expand greatly. I'm not at peace with that idea either physically because I cannot stand clutter or emotionally in terms of responsibility to stuff and money spent - especially when I start adding up the numbers.

I've never done a complete inventory, but when I guesstimate, it reaffirms why to me it's really important to have limits and I'm glad that those limits help me to chose wisely rather than buy randomly. Here are just a few figures from my studio for you to contemplate in terms of how they might compare with your studio. What do you think your numbers would be? How would knowing those numbers change (or not) your behaviour?

Books - two shelves of 71 books each averaged at $40.00 = $5,760.00. I know that the least expensive book was $3.00 and the most expensive one was $118.00.

Thread - twenty jars with 42 smaller spools each averaged at $3.00 each = $2,520.00. The most expensive thread is $12.00 a spool and the least expensive is $3.00 a spool. A third of the jars contain specialty threads so the total is a low estimate.




Machines
- Janome serger $650.00. Bernina 1020 bought used for $900.00 with an estimated replacement value of $3,000.00. Total replacement of machines = $3,650.00+ depending on how fancy a machine I choose and whether it is purchased new or used.




Fashion fabric
- 350 meters averaged at $10.00 per meter = $3,500.00. I've been keeping swatches and fabric records for the past few years so I know exactly what fashion fabric I have and how much. I was surprised at how quickly the total added up. Since starting those sheets, I have been a lot more picky about the fashion fabrics I purchased. How much fabric I had was also an indicator that this was a part of my life that I wanted to be more important. I was buying fabric and patterns but not sewing fashions. Cleaning your studio can show you things about yourself that you hadn't realized.

Cotton fabric shelves - 16 piles at a ten year old price of $1,500.00 per pile = $24,000.00. There are also three boxes of silk and organza fabrics, two boxes of assorted scraps, two boxes of yardage for backings, and one box of children's fabrics. Each box is MORE THAN one pile in the cupboard so that's another 8 x $1,500.00 = $12,000.00 or $36,000.00 in total - again a low estimate.

Yarn - 195 balls averaged at $3.00 per ball = $585.00. I know that the least expensive ball was $2.00 and the most expensive was $17.00. In the yarn picture above, there are quite a few discount yarns. I've since learned to buy better quality. That's also something that space limitations taught me. If I'm only allowed X amount of space, I'm not going to fill it up with "junk" I won't use. If I find myself with a product that is not what I thought it would be, I sell or give it away to make room for something I really want.

LARGER Notions - one roll Warm & Natural Batting $300.00, one box 505 spray $192.00, one roll of Misty Fuse $200.00, one roll of ShirtTailer interfacing $100.00, one box of Sobo glue $96.00 for a total of $888.00. You can see I left a lot out.

Patterns - 146 averaged at $5.00 per pattern = $730.00. Many are Vogue and closer to $15.00 each. There are other sewing supplies like elastic, zippers, bindings, ribbing, etc that are not included.




Add to these totals the cost of the rotary and cutting equipment and the irons and pressing surfaces, plus the computer, printer, scanner, two monitors, the filing cabinet, and my computer desk, along with the dresser with drawers full of beading, writing, and painting supplies, and the dyes, paints, and dyeing supplies in the laundry room and the two baskets above, as well as the two construction desks and desk chairs, the work island, and the two fabric cupboards (the units themselves), and the button shelf with jars FULL of buttons that I didn't even count and you're looking at a total in excess of... $53,633.00. SO...

... it was a good guess when I told my insurance agent that the value of the room was between $50 and $75,000.00, most likely on the higher end because - as you can tell - I've been estimating low and there's a lot I haven't mentioned.

Do I feel guilty? Not at all. This is a lifetime collection. I've been creating for thirty-five years. At times creating has been my hobby and at times it has been my career. Always, it has been my sanity saver. Now, when my income is low and my available time is high, how wonderful to have this stash in place. Were I to lose it, I would definitely want to start over so having it insured is important however, right now, I'm simply grateful.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful: a stashed up studio

4 comments:

  1. M - Sorry can't respond, I'm recovering from falling off my chair after reading this posting! We too are looking at our insurance, and it sure adds up quickly, doesn't it?

    We had a flood in the area (it didn't hit us), but many we know lost all of their stash. It made me realize to continue paring down what I have in stock. I'd rather use it or donate to someone who will make use of it than lose it all in a disaster and have truly wasted all those resources!

    Thanks for being an inspiration.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMHO OMG
    I don't even want to think what my stash is like. Other than the face that it is in three different rooms in my house, figuring cost would be impossible.
    Between 7 or 8 sewing machines dating back into the late 1800's and all the yarn and quilting fabric and clothing fabric...stop I don't want to think about it any more.

    Thanks for the pictures from your studio. They will be an inspiration to me if I ever get on my feet and start creating my studio.

    Yes, I am grateful that my house is stashed up. I can just pick and choose what I want to start or what I need to complete. But where to start?

    Have a great day, Karen W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as they say, I read with interest your calculations and estimate of value of your current stash. I would like to say, that contrary to previous comments - I think that once you have purchased an item, tool, book, or stash, it essentially becomes valueless, except to yourself. Yes, some of the goods can be resold, but rarely at the price originally paid. I am not a working artist and perhaps my thoughts on this are different from someone considers their stash as INVENTORY -- I consider it, especially the fabric and books to simply be handy for me when I feel like playing. Much of my quilting and other sewing turns out to be gifts and donated quilts and one thing I have learned is that to keep fabric from 10 or more years ago is simply wasteful as then the gifts look old or recycled -- just try to give a quilt that you made with early 90's fabrics! I try to keep my stash as current as possible and somewhat like you keep it pared down so my oldest supply of fabric is no more than 2 or 3 years old. Tools though, are definately a different story -- a ruler lasts for 20 years or more and is a treasure, not a give away or saleable item though...

    To me the value in my sewing room only comes when an completed item is used or passed along as a gift, means I didn't have to go purchase something manufactured in China or India or Malaysia or... so even though a quilt or sewn hand bag or tote might cost 60 dollars to make, it saved me the cost of a gift and I usually enjoyed making it -- and that is the value in my sewing room...

    Just another way of thinking of the stash...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myrna, Thanks for your reply to my comment..... I WAS astounded at the amount, but then I consider that I have a very small fabric stash. I have been limited by space and finances re: over-purchasing items in the past but, like you, I have been accumulating fabrics and supplies for about 30 years. It is surprising how much you can accumulate in that time - even if given as gifts.

    My "indulgence" would probably be books acquired over the years. I consider them to be my reference library and really don't want to give them up. Press for Success is one of those books I refuse to part with!

    Now that you've posted what you have in your studio that adds up, I will really put doing my inventory up on the priority list.

    My insurance agent and I had a good discussion about what I should spend my insurance money on to start with. Consequently I have excellent coverage for liability etc. Once I know what my equipment and supplies are truly worth to replace, I will up that coverage.

    Once again, thanks for being so candid about your studio contents, it is much appreciated, especially by me.

    To susan being snippy....... I agree with what you've said, but I AM a working artist in business who does have to consider her "stash" as inventory for investment and financial reasons (such as insurance). Even a gift 20 years ago of Gingher shears has a replacement value for insurance purposes. I have several pairs of scissors that cost over $35 a pair.

    ReplyDelete