_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 19 August 2009

Strong Orange

Speaking of dyeing - I did some on Monday. It was experimental. The results were not what I'd anticipated. First, I took this piece of green that I believe my friend Vicki gave to me a few years ago and stuck it in...




... an orange dye bath. The plan was to turn it shades of peach to rust. I should have paid more attention to the color name. It's called...




... Strong Orange and that's exactly what I got - no peach - no rust. That sort of stopped my creative flow for a bit so I turned to plan B over-dyeing...




... a group of black and white prints with green. I was aiming for a blue based lime and used fabric that ranged from black with a small white speck to white with black lines. After I'd dyed those pieces, I threw in some yardage to create a paler background fabric. As you can see...




... the results are not at all a blue based lime (more like mint) and the background fabric looks like it's in a completely different color range (more like yucky yellow) AND... the dotted black...




... didn't take the color at all even though you can see the green dots in this process image below. When I wet the fabric down prior to putting it in the dye bath, it was very reluctant to absorb water. Since I pre-wash everything in the studio, that was a bit strange but obviously something is coating the surface and preventing the fibers from grabbing the dye. No green dots. So disappointing.




When that didn't work out, I went back to a revised version of plan A. In an attempt to create a piece that does not scream HELLO HALLOWEEN, I'm stitching lines of blue across the orange fabric - so far in only one direction but I might go both ways. Even with these few lines, you can see how the thread is altering the color. Next, I plan to dry brush it with paint. What color? I'm not sure. That's for figuring out today.




Susan Being Snippy wrote - We are about to embark on a drive across the prairies and have invested in a small portable gas stove because a pot of veg soup will fill my belly when no suitable restaurant is findable. I am leery of this trip because I will have to be extra vigilant about meals -- hope I don't starve -- must make sure to have protein bars along too, I guess!

THAT exactly illustrates what I'm struggling with - a huge change in how I normally behave. The before allergies me would easily hop in the car, set off on a road trip, and come back days later having explored all kinds of interesting restaurants while visiting friends along the way. The after allergies me isn't too sure about going, worries about how to eat, doesn't want to impose on friends, and is frustrated by the same boring food choices. AND... as I said before, while I have quite a collection of gluten and dairy free cookbooks, unfortunately none of them came with a cook. Darn!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - exploring what if

No comments:

Post a Comment