_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 11 August 2009

Dot & Done

Earlier - way back when I started these pieces - I mentioned cutting the backing and batting several inches bigger than the finished size to allow for shrinkage and uneven edges. You can see in the image below that the piece condensed well over an inch even though the batting was preshrunk with steam prior to layering it with the other fabrics. The shrinkage is due entirely to dense stitching.




On Sunday afternoon, I used a chalk line to draw the finished size on each of the three pieces and once I was happy that the resulting shapes would work well together, I trimmed the edges. Talk about taking a deep breath. After all that work, I certainly didn't want the rotary cutter winging off in the wrong direction. Thankfully, all went well. I'm pleased with the three pieces and I learned some valuable things for next time. For me, that's one of the major points of creating - learning and taking the learning forward. The results are a bonus.

Each piece has a deep pink focal point as well as a tension point. The three focal points differ in size and location and draw your eye across the pieces and back. The solid green dot in the image below is about a half inch in diameter. It dominates the entire 24" high x 84" wide design. Your eye travels and goes back, travels and goes back, to this point of tension. LOVE IT - it does exactly what I wanted it to do. Unfortunately, I can't show the complete image until the exhibit in January. When I post the pictures, we can talk about this some more.




One of the best decisions Howard and I made when we bought our house was to add a front door and a porch. Can you imagine a house without a front door? Weird! Instead of a small porch, we added a 10' x 20' covered area that walks out level from our upstairs hallway and is about eight stairs above the yard. The neighbour's tree creates a wonderful canopy. This is the view from my chair. Sunday afternoon, after I finished the pieces, I curled up with a drink and savoured my success. Then, I went and cleaned up my mess. It's amazing how the end of a project turns into a free for all.




Cartoons create mess. They use paper, interfacing, fusible web, and LOTS of different fabrics. When I'm working on a project like this, I dump all the bits and pieces into one box until I'm completely finished. When I'm done, I clean the studio, empty the garbage (bag to the foreground) and then sort through the "mess" putting yardage back on the shelves and cutting off any usable amounts from scraps so that when I begin the next project, the studio is clutter free, clean, and ready. I dust and vacuum too.




Out of the mess on the floor above, I ended up with the piles below of interfacing scraps, fabric scraps, fused fabric (one large piece), and the interfacing backed scraps toward the front. While sorting, I keep reasonably sized pieces - not everything or I'd be floating in scraps and I have two boxes already. LOL - they breed in the night. BUT... these are enough for several smaller projects and they're paid for. Excellent.




Yesterday, the guys were all at work. Our holidays are over. I spent the day cleaning house and grocery shopping. The house was messy and the cupboards empty but now it's shiny clean and stocked up for cooking. Maybe it's these allergies or maybe it's relaxing from the decision to close the business but - surprisingly - I've been more inclined to cook and garden over the past month and have these odd to me, have dinner ready for my husband, domestic thoughts. Too fun. Hopefully I can maintain that - VBG - Howard would love it and I love him. I so appreciate that his going to work every day makes it possible for me to relax and enjoy this transitional space in my life. It's such a gift.

Today is Arts & Crafts club. I'll leave around nine. Before that, Hilda is supposed to arrive and start siding the workshop. We're THRILLED. It's going to look amazing. Tonight is Knit Night which I haven't been to in three weeks and tomorrow is a "free" day with Wendy coming in the evening. Not sure what I'll start on - I'll let you know.

On Thursday, I'm heading to Vernon for a pattern info class followed by lunch and shopping with my friend Lorraine and - if I have time and the road is open (fire) - I may stop by the gallery to visit Carolina. Friday night, we pick up Kyle for the weekend again. It's a busy week. All good. More details later.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - finished the Lines & Shapes pieces

No comments:

Post a Comment