_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 26 August 2009

How Far I've Come

There was just a wee, small bit of the corner missing on the background fabric that I wanted to use for T3, Otherwise, it was just perfect. In other words, it was perfect and all I needed to do was find a way to make it work - like patching.




The angle and lighting that I've used to take the image above make the patch far more visible than it is when looking at it straight on in the image below. Of course, I can find it right away because I know it's there. Every time I see it, I remind myself that it's a small portion of a busy background that will have more points of interest added. In the end, it won't even be noticeable AND... even if it is...




... I don't particularly care because I think it says something about using what I have and what works (and is paid for) in what is more often a disposable (and charge it) society. As the piece progresses, if the patch does interfer with the design, it will become a design challenge. I'll figure it out. It's really no big deal. IN FACT... it's the fact that it's no big deal that is the REALLY BIG DEAL.

It's always intriguing to me when I realize how much I've changed in a particular area - how far I've come. Way back when, when I started traditional quilting, I was a brand name and matchy-matchy kind of girl. If I didn't have enough of a fabric, it would have sent me into a tizzy - first to try to find the same fabric or, if that wasn't possible, to find one that looked almost exactly the same. It wouldn't have been unheard of for me to throw it out and start over. GASP!

It was a BIG STEP when I realized that I could use different fabrics of the same color and/or value and that they would make for a more interesting piece. IMHO - this patch makes for a more interesting piece. I'm proud to have it there.

How have you changed over the years? Do you think those changes are a result of maturity or the environment in which we're now living where recycling and sustainability are fighting for equal time with materialism and disposability?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - even though I wasn't feeling good yesterday I got the background of T3 pieced and mostly stitched. I'm making progress.

2 comments:

  1. I love what I'm seeing. I can hardly wait until January to see these pieces in their entirety. Yesterday's post cracked me up about auditioning the two pieces for possible focal point.

    How have I changed over the years? I've learned to trust my instincts. I know when I have something good, and that is enough. It is nice when someone else likes it, but not necessary. I see things differently from most people, and they aren't always ready for my work (or point of view, etc).

    I'm okay with that!

    I use a lot from my stash, but that is not so much because of the economy, but because I design more and more of my work. I'm making my own pieces, not someone else's pattern, and I have more room for using scraps, stash, imagination!

    Also, many times what I want isn't available, or the quality isn't there. I have found that I make more from scratch (dyeing own fabrics, knitting, crocheting, spinning fiber, weaving).

    All good. thanks Myrna!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember searching the internet for a piece of fabic when I ran out. Fortunately two quilt shop employees saw my quest and helped me out. Today I think I would also have done something different like using a comparable piece of fabric and if necessary to really get it to work I would "unsew" some of the blocks to replace the fabric with the comparable piece so that it would be throughout the entire piece.

    Thank you for reminding me how much I have grown over the quilting years.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete