_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 10 August 2009

Lots Of Lime Lines

Tightly stitched circles are part of my signature style. For the Lines & Shapes pieces, I wanted them on the brightest green. There are two sections of this fabric in the three pieces. The smallest section is about 4" x 6" and the larger one is about 36" long and between 1" and 12" wide. On Saturday, I covered both sections with lots of lime lines starting at the narrowest point on the larger one and working toward the widest area. There was...




... a method to my madness. I moved from the inside to the outside edge in case the fabric condensed and shifted. That way, I could square it easily. It wasn't a problem though. The piece was well basted and the stitching in the areas around the green had already stabilized it.




Circles drive me slowly insane. I love them. I hate them. I can stitch for about fifteen minutes - working in small sections - and then need to take a short break. After finishing the larger piece of fabric on the left side, the smaller one seemed like nothing. It's on the second of the three pieces. This fabric doesn't appear on the third piece.

On the original cartoon, there is shading in the green areas. My plan was to add paint for those however, both of the green batik fabrics had enough variety of color that it wasn't necessary. On a solid fabric, it would have been. What a nice bonus.

My original goal was to be finished the Lines & Shapes pieces by August 1st. My revised goal was by the 12th. Obviously, I hadn't calculated in holidays nor dragging my butt after making the "close the business" decision - HOWEVER - I finished Sunday afternoon. I think that makes me ahead of schedule - LOL.

I'll show you the final detail in tomorrow's posting. After working steadily on the pieces for several days, suddenly everything came together - YES YES - and, depending on which ideas I develop for the texture series, I may even finish all nine pieces for the exhibit by the beginning of September. That could be wishful thinking but maybe, we'll see, it sure would be nice.




This was the view from my studio on Saturday afternoon. That haze in the distance obscuring the mountains is dense smoke. It smelled like a campfire outside. In the morning, there was a tour bus parked outside of Wal-Mart carrying fire fighters from Australia. I talked to one man - Andy - while waiting in line. He was buying a pillow for his month in a tent. I thanked him. We are so appreciative of the help. If you're from Australia, thank you for sharing. The last statistic I read said that there have been 2,322 fires in BC so far this year with over 800 currently burning, several of which are massive. I hope these guys get to see some parts of Canada that aren't charred before they head back home again.

Sunday night, I did bookkeeping - the second quarter income, business expenses, and GST (tax) report. Expenses exceed income and I lost money... again. Seeing it there in black and white was very difficult and makes my decision to close the business that much more real. Along with the report, I wrote a letter cancelling my tax number for the end of December.

My decision is very final and I still cry a little once in a while. There are two more commitments and I'm done and even though I know it's the right decision and I'm feeling more relaxed each day and beginning to enjoy the "me-ness" of my studio, after twenty years, it's hard to say good-bye to a way of being and a career that I have thoroughly enjoyed and am exceptionally good at.

I so appreciated your supportive comment Loretta. Thanks. HUGS. I hope that you too - like me - experience relief and relaxation as you increasingly let go.




It's not all bad news. Inside the studio - look what's back! Howard has been puttering away in his new workshop thoroughly enjoying himself and especially having a work surface and knowing where his tools are. Yesterday, he fixed my favourite - T-Fal Ultraglide Turbo - iron that stopped working months and MONTHS ago. It took twenty minutes and cost a kiss. Now, it's back steaming away in the studio. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - fire fighters, favourite irons & the world's best husband

No comments:

Post a Comment