_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 11 May 2012

Before And After Kitchen

The living room, dining room, and kitchen are one open area. Originally, there was a pony wall dividing the kitchen. It was slightly taller than counter height and drastically ruined the flow and possibilities of both the kitchen and the dining room.




When we looked at the house, one of the first things I said to Howard was those would have to go referring to the open cabinets in the kitchen. He said he knew that the minute he saw them. Set back into the corner behind the sink they were already difficult for me to reach plus the shelves were fixed meaning that I couldn't adjust them and couldn't even reach the second one. They were also cantilevered with the middle and top shelves set further back. NOT working.




I expected a positive change but I'm surprised by how much of a difference the new cabinets make. They create more of a focal point in the corner of the kitchen and detract from the fridge which was getting way too much attention previously. If I had designed the kitchen, I'd have placed the fridge far left reversing its position with the built in pantry you can see in the first picture BUT... LOL... nobody asked me.

Two people came to install the cabinets. One had been on the job four days and the guy in charge had been on the job one month. Apparently this company is getting busier. They need to teach their employees a few things.

One of my friends asked why I'm always home when the workmen are here, why I don't go out. Well... you learn interesting things if you stay home like how the cabinet people were micky mousing the new rolling drawers in the pantry. They drilled twelve unneeded holes and would have created fixed shelving when I'd clearly stated I would be moving it around depending on what I put where. Earlier, the flooring person hacked away at the carpet on the top stair with a dull knife and created runs in a Berber carpet which may as well be called a knit. He then glued the fluff in place and walked away. I would bet he never expected me to come up the stairs right at that time and notice. Today, the carpet and some issues with the flooring are being fixed. Sometime "soon" the rolling drawers will be done properly and they'll bring the correct handles for the cabinet doors.

The young man's arrogant attitude when I said that wouldn't do with the rolling shelves was really quite interesting. Apparently to avoid him having to come back I should have put up with poor workmenship and incorrrect parts. Okay - you pay the bill. He was also extremely condescending when he told me I'd need a screwdriver to move the shelves as if somehow that was a feat beyond most people. He has some life learning coming up. I've had some already. I've learned not to pay the bill until the job is completed to my satisfaction. It's good learning and one of the reasons that I do not deal with that big box store that requires you to pay in full up front. NOT a good idea.




Spaces in our home are coming together. Although our back porch is not as wonderful as our previous porch and it's still too cold to sit out there for any length of time, it's lovely place to be with that incredible view of the valley. Right now, there's a considerable amount of traffic on the road below us. We're hoping that once the housing construction is completed further up the hill and alternative routes to that area have been created that there will be less traffic. At least there won't be work trucks. Next week, I'll think about plants for those pots.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - calming cabinets

2 comments:

  1. I envy your view! I'd just sit out there all day and stare at the mountains (in a parka if needs be)!
    Love your new cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been by to read lately. It's good to get caught up and see your progress. Thanks for the tip on the book, and that Costco has linen pants right now. Hopefully they'll have them here too.

    ReplyDelete