_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 24 May 2012

Reading The Reviews

In just over three weeks, I'm leaving for my trip to Oregon and the workshop with Marcy Tilton and Diane Ericson. I'm going with Caroline. a friend I've known since I was sixteen. We're both turning fifty this spring and this trip is our joint celebration. So is a dress up dinner in Portland following the workshop (restaurant suggestions welcome). I need a dress. Yesterday, I spent a considerable amount of time reading the reviews at PatternReview.com. What a FABULOUS resource. Now I just have to decide which pattern to sew.




Vogue 8379 - has 111 reviews almost all of which are Highly Recommend. It's also my husband's first choice. It's the only pattern shown in this posting that does NOT have cup sizing. From what I've read, that shouldn't be an issue although it calls for a moderate stretch knit and that might be.




Vogue 8724 - has nine reviews and is mostly rated easy and great for beginners. I like it and yet have huge reservations about the shape of the skirt which - for now - most likely translates to something along the lines of try it for summer but not for your special dress. I was thinking...




... of adding the skirt from Vogue 8632 instead. This pattern has three reviews, two of which are not positive. I imagine I could work it out but I'm on a deadline. The first weekend in June my daughter and son-in-law are coming for a few days, leaving their puppy for the week, and coming back the following weekend. The Thursday following Caroline arrives and bright and early Friday morning we leave. Fiddling and perhaps fiddling with a puppy does not sound like a good idea. SO... probably another try it for summer possibility although I only wanted the skirt and the problems were with the bodice.




Vogue 8765 is too new to have any reviews. I'm drawn to the flared view of this pattern but may need to change the sleeves or at the very least add shoulder pads to give them some shape although it's a higher dolman so it may work. I tried a t-shirt on a few weeks ago that was a higher dolman and it looked good but dolman sleeves don't typically do me any favours and this is my turning fifty dress. I want to feel fabulous. It's also a quick sew so I may just give it a try and make two dresses because since I really like that view.




Vogue 8743 - has one not so positive review that sounds more like the person chose the wrong size and made too many adaptations before trying the pattern rather than that the pattern is at fault. This style is my one of my all time favourites. I find it swishy fenimine in the right fabric. In the wrong fabric, it has the potential to be too little girl. If I try this one, it'll be the longer length and I'll V the neckline and add sleeves. If you look at the Vogue site, it's sewn in a firm fabric that looks way too boxy. IMHO it needs a drapey fabric.




B5745 - is similar BUT... it definitely needs to be de-sweetened and lengthened or I'd look like a kid playing dress-up. The denim blue version would be great for summer in this the year of the dress.

Which one do you think is best?

While you're deciding, I'm off to check the stash and see what I have that's suitable and go from there. LOL - you never know, the fabric could be the deciding factor.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- choices

6 comments:

  1. I really like the first two patterns. I have that wrap pattern too and I am always looking for a good fabric to sew it in. My reservation about that one for me is the hourglassy shape. I think I do better with a more empire line. Also the skirt is very flared (and heavy) so you need a fabric that's very stable in length and lots of it. I understand you worries about the tulip skirt in the second pattern. I'm also a pear shape and I've found that this silhouette can work if the waistline and hem are at just the right place. It's all about proportion. I also like the purple one in V8765. It seems very classic and classy. Not too old or too young, the kind of thing that could be dressed up or down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vogue 8379 with a FBA if needed looks the most elegant and sophisticated of the group, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Vogue 8379 and it did nothing for me. I like the swishy one, all those long lines look good. Fun to see and read people's takes on patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. They are all great patterns. I thought I"d chime in as I just did a muslin for the top of 8765. I don't think you will have to worry about shoulder pads as I found the should/sleeve area pretty narrow. For me, there was a big too much gapping/fabric scrunching in the upper bodice - under the arm area. I am moving onto using Vogue 1084 for the under-the-arm sleeve area.

    Good points for 8765: nice neckline and nice fit in waist area and great back fit. I'd recommend trying a muslin first to make sure you like the sleeve fit. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like V8632. It compliments all the correct areas. It's slimming and also flows nicely from a chick empire waistline. Have fun with Marcy and Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a wrap dress is always flattering and appropriate. I think 8724 is the most elegant option and the most appropriate for a big celebration. The others, in my opinion, are fine dresses, but not the sort of special dress for a special night out. Of course, some of the decision depends on what fabric you find.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete