_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 31 May 2012

Aging And The F Words

My daughter and son-in-law are on their way over. It's a long drive. Eight to ten hours depending on how many stops you make. They're coming after work and can't meander as much as I do when going their way. I'm quite excited to see them. About a month ago...



... my daughter offered to make my birthday dinner. Since then she's been reading cookbooks and taste testing recipes and it sounds like we all have a gourmet treat in store for Saturday night. Everyone will be home for dinner on Saturday and then back again on...



... Sunday morning - my actual birthday - for crepes with fruit and whip cream and other goodies. The next time I post, I'll be fifty. As much as I've enjoyed the forties and the whole I'm forty and I'm not doing that and you can't make me thing, fifty holds a special appeal. From what I can tell, it's the decade where a woman is the freest - and hopefully the healthiest - to explore her own interests. I've been thinking a lot about aging and...



... the F words. Fabulous. Flirty. Feminine. Fun. They all sound good to me. Fifty will be the decade of me - not in a selfish way but in a self care way.  I'm excited.



I was determined not to post today until I had something sewing to say. After reshaping the neckline, it and the armholes were finished with self made bias and two rows of top stitching and except for the hem, the linen dress - wearable muslin - is complete. As soon as someone helps me to mark the hemline, I'll do that and it'll be finished for Sunday.

Next week, I'll start on the real birthday dress. I bought a knit lining for cheap in the bargain center today as well as some velvet piping at 75% off. Gotta love that.




This is the view from my sewing machine on a grey, cloudy day. As you can see, it's still quite bright. This studio is going to work out wonderfully. It's feeling very much like home after only a few days. YEAH.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a positive anticipation of turning fifty

10 comments:

  1. Hi Myrna:
    Happy Birthday! I've been following, with interest, your move and transition and am so pleased for you that you feel a bit more settled. Your "f" words are great ones!
    I have a question for you - do you know of a shirt pattern for a sleeveless collared shirt that comes with the multi-cup sizing? I'm doing some "trade off" sewing for a friend and could use that info.
    Appreciate it if you have time. Enjoy your celebration and time with your family.
    Many thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey happy birthday for Sunday! I turned 50 at the end of March and I'm still here! I kind of feel like I better get on and do the things I want to do. I have done lots but have so much more to do. I have an 8 year old and I'm studying for my Bachelor of Business which I started when I turned 48!. What are those F words you said "fabulous, flirty, feminine, fun" - thanks sounds good to me too.
    I hope you have a great weekend and enjoy your 50th year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fantastic attitude to me. Enjoy the celebration with your family around you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! It sounds like a wonderful way to enjoy it...surrounded by family, with good food and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ♫♪ Happy Birthday♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ to you ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪Happy Birthday ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪to you ♥Happy Birthday♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪...Dear Myrna!!!
    ! ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪...Happy Birthday♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ to You¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... Have a great day !!
    Have a wonderful birthday weekend with your family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! Congrats on this milestone age. Have a wonderful day with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! I love your f-words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Myrna! I hope you have a wonderful day with your family, and a Fantastic year to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you have a very Happy Birthday, Myrna! Especially nice with family to celebrate with you.

    Personally I had no problem with the Big Five-Oh. It was the Even Bigger Six-Oh that had me freaking out a little! However now that I'm 61 it seems like a silly thing to worry about. It's only a number. I'd rather celebrate life than count!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday - Have a Fantastic day with your Family - other great f words. Janine.

    ReplyDelete