_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Empty Spaces And Good Lighting

Incredibly productive would be good words to describe yesterday. Not in a sewing way, in a finally getting all those nit picky little details organized way. Details like the junk drawer and the tupperware and the shoe shelf and "stuff" that makes a home function more smoothly. I finally felt like I actually live here. This is good.




The last time I showed you a picture of my fabric closet, there were fifteen boxes where the piles of fabric are now. Without eliminating any fabric - simply by taking it out of the box and putting it on the shelves - I have more room. YEAH! You can't see behind the right hand door but there's room for more stacks there and empty spaces to be filled. This is perfect especially as I'd been wondering where I'd put the fabric from my upcoming trip and now I have space. It's a given that I'll come home with more fabric since fabric and jewelry are my favourite souveniers.

The boxes on the top row hold interfacing, lining, and lingerie fabrics. It'll be much easier to keep those pieces in the boxes. The boxes on the bottom are full of assorted things like fabric scraps and pieces to be recycled. I'll sort through them some time soon and make sure it's stuff I want to keep and if so, make them more visible.





While I was sorting fabric, Howard put up the new lights in my studio. In the image below, there are two 150v bulbs and in the image above, there are two fluorescent fixtures with four full spectrum bulbs.  Good lighting - as in both the fixture and the type and quality of light bulb - makes a tremendous difference.

When we were selling our previous house, our realtor suggested changing all the light bulbs so everything would be fresh and new. To economize - since we wouldn't be staying to use them - we bought no-name bulbs from a hardware store. They were dimmer than the bulbs we'd removed so we changed them back. At the store, Phillips and GE seem to be the best although lighting stores carry even better bulbs. They're expensive but they last longer and the light is brighter and that matters to me. I'm preserving my eye sight as much as possible.




Today, I have a lot of errands and tonight is knitting. I doubt I'll have any time to sew but hopefully since everything is ready. The dress is waiting for binding around the neck and armholes and then hemming and it's done.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - electricity and quality lighting. I can't imagine sewing by candlelight.

No comments:

Post a Comment