_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Saturday 5 May 2012

See It To Sew It

Good


Better


Best



I had hoped everything would be finished by Friday afternoon and it didn't happen. The trim still isn't on upstairs. They're coming back Monday to do that. I'm both thrilled and not so however - on a positive note - the downstairs - and especially my closet - is finished. All the work that someone else needs to do is done and we are home alone in that space. YEAH

There are five shelves. The top row is interfacing, lining, and lingerie fabrics. The next three down are fashion fabric. The last shelf is five boxes of potential, mostly wearable art and wearable art garments that I intend to refashion in some way. On the bottom is art supplies, the case for my sewing machine, my laptop, a box of table paper for tracing patterns, and "stuff" like that.

For now, everything is in a box on a shelf only - on these particular shelves as opposed to my previous ones - it's not the best way to exhibit the fabric. Once the rest of my house is settled, I'll figure out how to make it more visible. I need to see it to sew it plus taking the fabric out of the boxes may free up more space which would be fabulous because my allowable fabric level just shrunk. This is my total sum of storage and...




... while almost everything - more than I expected - fit into the closet, I still have several piles of things to deal with including my art fabrics. These were on the shelves that I gave away. I don't want the shelves back but I do need a system for organizing and displaying the fabric especially as I've been thinking about creating a new textile art piece for the dining room.

On a different note, my question in yesterday's posting - With the increase of interest in handcrafts and the number of women especially who are returning to sewing and knitting and other art forms, do you think there will be a correlating increase in the awareness of what it takes to create those works of art and will the artists start being paid something closer to what they're worth? - was meant generically and not specifically. 

At one time, one of a kind was revered and now what people buy seems to be all about fads, trends, and labels. While I wonder if that will eventually change, for me, the time of attempting to make a living from what I create is past. One of the gifts of potential cancer has been clarification. I want simply to enjoy the process of creating and if I produce enough that I need to do something with it, a gallery - as my friend Barb says - is fabulous extra storage.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a real, live, functioning, holds stuff, with doors that close, closet

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, it is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing area is shaping up nicely; it will be a pleasure sewing there, I'm sure. My fabrics are rolled up (the length of the rolls about the same as the depth of the shelves they're on) with a bit of paper tucked into the end of the roll with dimensions, fiber content, etc. on it and a torn scrap of fabric tied around to hold it in place. They are segregated into either knits or wovens, then by color. The spiraled ends of the fabric rolls make the wall look like a wall of roses, so pretty. Good luck in figuring out what works well for you!

    ReplyDelete