_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Seeing Daylight

As I went to put on my jeans last week, I noticed I was seeing daylight. Holding the crotch up to the light, there was a visible line from the center outward threatening to become a tear at any minute. Shopping for jeans is - IMHO - darn near as bad as shopping for a bathing suit. At least I wear the latter infrequently. Jeans are a weekly event. Other than trouser style, pants are not my best look so finding a pair that somewhat flatters takes a lot of effort.

Yesterday - at breakfast with my friend - I noticed she was wearing a new pair of black jeans. She'd bought them at Reitman's although not at the store in town. I looked anyway and although they didn't have those jeans, they did have some on sale for $19.99 less an additional 30% that fit me quite well. I bought two pairs, slightly different shades of denim, the same style. That'll tide me over until life in the studio is functioning more smoothly and I have time to sew jeans.




They also had a pair of rayon pants somewhat reminiscent of Vogue 1307 above or Vogue 8584 below. They were made from a rayon blend, fell straight from the hips to a slight gather at the hemline, and had a flattering trouser-ish affect on the behind and thighs. Unfortunately...




... they were also sewn incorrectly. The left side seemed to be a size bigger than the right. When I pointed it out to the sale clerk, she said you're right, it especially shows in the back. Every pair in that size was the same so they must have come from the same day of sewing in the shop. Another friend who used to do that kind of work told me that if they made a mistake and sewed the wrong parts together, it didn't get corrected.

Since that discussion, I've had a few times like yesterday when I've noticed an error. It always makes me wonder if those clothes actually sell and if those of us who sew and are more aware of these things are the only ones to notice. Either way, those pants looked quite good on me so I'll dig through my stash and see which fabric would work and when Vogue 1307 finally arrives from the sale before the last BMV sale, I can sew them up. 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - two members of our family are having medical tests this week. Both are rather yucky and not fun. Even so, we're thankful that tests like these are possible and for the answers they provide.

2 comments:

  1. Myrna, this is what we all need in our studio...
    http://creativity-online.com/news/how-bodymetrics-and-razorfish-are-out-to-change-retail/233471

    it's the answer for a perfit fit, here they are using it for buying jeans.
    Mary
    Vernon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago I had a RTW sweater that I was always pulling down on one of the sleeves. Eventually I spread it out flat and compared the sleeves - one was an inch shorter than the other!?! By this time it was too late to return it, I think we had even moved. But it did make me wonder how much of that happens.

    blessings on the tests and their results.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete