_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 10 March 2011

A Designer Moment

When I wrote my friend Caroline yesterday and told her my latest project was another wadder but that it was my own fault because I've been trying different style and fabric combos, she wrote back, what styles aren't working? Keep trying new styles though or you will always look the same, stuck in the same styles and colours.

We had a discussion about this very subject a few years ago when we were on one of our holidays together. We talked about the fear of the rut and how to take the styles and colors that you've discovered look good on you and somehow make them more exciting.

Color is a bit easier to play with than style. You simply hold it in front of the mirror and debate how it looks. Lately, I've added more turquoise to my wardrobe after receiving numerous compliments when I wear it. Apparently, it makes my eyes look much greener. Styles are harder. For me at least, they seem to change in pain staking ways... through wadders.




Even though I'd tried a similar t-shirt on at Sears last week that looked okay enough to give this pattern - Butterick 5497 - a try, apparently, it wasn't similar enough. Perhaps because it had short sleeves while this one has long so there's more fabric involved. Above, the side seams are basted outward, the neckline is finished, the shoulders are gathered, and the bodice is gathered to the lower half. In other words, it's mostly complete. Complete enough to know...





... it's not a look I like. This is the fourth dolman sleeve garment that I've tried in the last six months. None of them have been flattering. I could say that's been good information and it has but as you might have noticed I've tried it again... and again... and again... because there were subtle differences each time. This is my last try. I'm going to conclude that there is no version of a dolman sleeve that will flatter me . It's time to strip those patterns from my stash. HOWEVER...





... all is not lost. I liked the gathers in the front that enhanced my bust. I've transferred that design idea to my T & T pattern. I've made this pattern over and over and it's quite flattering, far more fitted with inset sleeves that sit right on the shoulder point. Depending on which fabric I chose, I'll either use the version with the seam at center back or cut the back on fold. I've opted for a rounded V-neck which is my favourite neckline and am debating plain three quarter sleeves or gathered elbow length sleeves. I'm not sure which yet.

As I was drafting the pattern last night, the thought that this was a designer moment popped into my head. When I was teaching I called them What If moments. What if I.....? It's that curiosity that I mentioned yesterday, a willingness to try, a willingness to risk that it might not work out, a desire to learn and take that learning forward. The focus is more on the process of creating and less on the product. When the idea works, the product is a happy bonus.




Lois K wrote: I apologize for not knowing more of your background. I would love to know some more detail of how and why you came to be a textile artist.

No apologies necessary. It seems like another person and another life time ago now. In 1994, I started a home based business designing quilting patterns and went on to write several books and a column - The Quilter's Web - for Quilters Newsletter Magazine. I taught classes locally, nationally, internationally, and on-line, mostly on-line as I didn't travel often for various reasons.

At first, the focus was on traditional quilting and then it evolved toward art. I created textile art pieces like the one above - Transference - for re-sale in galleries and taught fundamentals of design and self expression classes along with some coaching. A whole bunch of things happened at once that made staying in business harder and harder to do, particularly the economy. It stops being fun when you're not even covering your expenses. The last textile piece I made was in August of 2009 and my last exhibit was in January 2010.

As I said, it seems like a lifetime ago. When I started quilting, I stopped sewing fashions. It's taking a little longer than I thought to get my skills built back up to where I'd like them to be however, that's partly because I've brought the experimental nature of the art process into sewing fashions. This is good. I don't miss owning a business nor all that goes with it. Going to work, doing the work, and getting paid seems so easy, so blissful. I do miss teaching and perhaps that will return to my life at some point. Time will tell.

Corrine wrote: The one principal that I would like to stress to the beginners particularly is... take your time, do it right, perfect your skills, challenge your knowledge.

YES YES - I call that doing your best at every stage. So much is lost in rushing which is ironic since it actually takes less time to complete something if you slow down and pay attention to the details. Typically, there are less mistakes. I get to pass this message along at work, particularly to the younger people. It's very fun to see what they're working on.

Today, I'm working on the new t-shirt idea. We'll see how that goes.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the wind last night has melted large amounts of snow and the weather is predicted to be warm all week. Spring just may be trying to make an appearance.

1 comment:

  1. Taking the new things that you like (the gathers under the bust), combining it with your T & T pattern, and leaving the rest behind, proves that all your experimenting works. You are creating a new look - one that suits you.

    For me, dolman/batwing/even raglan sleeves are not my best look. I like more fitted clothes and those sleeve styles tend to accentuate the roundedness of my shoulders. More tailoring, even in a knit fabric seems to suit me better.

    YES! Spring is on the way. It's pouring rain here - but the snow is gone.

    ReplyDelete