_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 4 March 2011

Procrastinating The Zipper

Do you procrastinate? I do occasionally - sometimes even with sewing which surprises me. I'm sure it's the fear of failure or some other well documented process of irrational thought but... how is it that I can want to do one thing and end up doing something completely different? Except yesterday. When I curled up to read a book instead of sewing, I discovered my e-book needed charging. Since that takes three hours, it seemed the perfect sign to stop procrastinating the zipper and finish my dress... and it's done... and it's okay... only okay... nothing too wonderful.




See the angle of the shoulder seam? It doesn't align with the underarm seam and is quite far forward at the shoulder point. Weird. I missed it on the muslin. It's there too but less noticeable than in this heavier denim.





The dress fits - mostly. The waist is level. There's sufficient ease through the bodice. The 1/2" wider shoulders are more comfortable than the previous dress. The skirt has enough shape to be flattering and enough ease through the hips to move comfortably. The pleats work. They're not too pouffy. The zipper went in wonderfully. The seams aligned.

What doesn't work is the bust point. It still isn't quite right and it appears I have one side that is fuller than the other creating some weird pulls across the bodice. I've noticed this before and have been trying to avoid dealing with it. The bust point position is bad enough never mind different cup sizes each side. I can't avoid it much longer if I want to wear closely fitted clothing which is why I'm debating that point. I think it's time for clothes with shape that are not so close fitting - like Butterick 5497.


AND then... there are the armholes. Because I didn't finish the edges, I didn't notice this with the muslin but bound and turned, they curve in toward center just enough at the bottom to show a pinch of fat at the front underarm. Crepe-y, old looking, fat. Apparently, my arms are aging along with my neck. Yesterday was the first time I noticed crepe-y skin in that area and - as you can imagine - I wasn't real thrilled to see it. I predict sleeves in my future - long, three quarter, or elbow.

Conclusion: the dress is wearable but not comfortable physically or emotionally. I'd need to wear a sweater to hide the armholes and the pulls at the bust and I'd constantly be adjusting the bodice and the sweater to make sure I was "hidden". Since I'm not likely to do that when I have other clothing that is comfortable, it's most likely the dress won't get worn.

This is my third wadder in a row. I'm frustrated. I have that "can't sew" feeling which simply isn't true no matter how true it feels at the moment. I'll give it a minute and then carry on. It's what I do. Right now, it seems that I can sew well with knits and not so well with wovens. I've figured out skirts, sweaters, and t-shirts. Pants are mostly okay. Waistbands are driving me crazy in terms of sizing fluctuations and I'm struggling with fitted dresses. I need to think about how to go forward from here. I could use a success next. Maybe a bra and pantie set - LOL.

I received an email from a friend yesterday who wrote: You ARE NOT A BORING OLD LADY and no one would think so by how you dress, what you are wearing, how you look! Even in jeans and a top you look put together and sparkly. So, go ahead and move towards more colour, more whatever you want to do. And, at the same time, realize that you totally sparkle from within.

What a wonderful comment and so timely. Since my holiday, I've felt like I'm dragging around a dark cloud. This was just what grey grumpy me needed.

This morning I'm cleaning house. First, I'll look through my pattern collection so I can think about what to sew next while cleaning. I don't work until tomorrow afternoon. There's time to start something new... and fresh... and less fitted... and colorful... and spring-ish... and fun. YES YES!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - compliments and learning curves

6 comments:

  1. I know it's discouraging to sew so many wadders. But I have to tell you that I'm encouraged by this post. If even you, with all your energy and drive, have days where you procrastinate and projects that end up tossed, that means I'm not alone. And that's a very good thing!

    I hope today is better and that you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah wadders and frustration. How well I know these. For me it's a combination of a changing figure and branching out into more types of sewing. Let's face it. A T-shirt needs none of the fitting a blouse does; and real trousers that skim everything only need to fit at the waist (which I can manage with a belt). I'm with you on the frustration. Just don't know how to solve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I'm right there right now. I've got two projects that have been sitting on my sewing table for months! I'm taking/setting aside some time today to sew but am cutting out new projects (one set of warm pjs for my son - it's COLD here in Alberta right now). The two projects (a pair of pants and a blouse) have fit issues....and I JUST DON'T FEEL LIKE DEALING....ya know? However, I have March Break coming up (I'm a teacher) and I'm going to make a point of doing something with them (either finish or pitch). Sometimes I find just looking at them stressful.
    I wish I had a fix it solution - but you know, sometimes sitting and resting and "doing nothing" is important and helps recharge us. We talk about "over scheduled" children sometimes and how they need time to just be and play. I think we need that time for ourselves as well. So take the time to do whatever. Energy and interest in projects will come (at least I hope so).
    Take care and have a good weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain, but sometimes it's good to take a step back and appreciate the skill level you do have. The problem with having your level of skill is that you can perfectionist-yourself into a corner where nothing is good enough. Look at most ready-to-wear and you'll see construction issues that I bet you would have a catnip over in your own work, yet the vast majority of people look at the same garment, buy it, and wear it without even noticing these faults. If you really hate your new dress, or the fix is not worth the time/effort, toss it, and laugh in its face. If not, wear it at least once with some sparkly jewelry or a bright scarf--why not both--and hide its flaws with aplomb. And if you still need some inspiration, check out http://www.newdressaday.com/
    where the bold and bubbly Marissa dares to hack garments up and do creative but absolutely Unperfectionistic things to them...while her sewing methods sometimes make me cringe, her enthusiasm makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I understand the frustration and the procastination, even though I am focusing on other projects at home now, and not my sewing. I suspect there will be along chain of sewing frustrations when I get there, just as, at the moment, there is a long chain of house reconfiguring frustrations. Sometimes a bit of procrastination is a balm for the soul; the trick is procrastinating enough to soothe the emotional wounds and then jumping back in. But I think you have that part under control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so I am rather behind in my blog reading, but a suggestion if this wadder hasn't hit the round file: could you make a waistband and use the bottom part as a skirt?
    Unless, of course, you'd not wear such a skirt.

    ReplyDelete