_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 15 March 2011

Good Old Fashioned Retail Therapy

Last week, I finished reading Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It by Gary Taubes. It's an interesting read. In the end, the solution was a high protein, low carb - extremely low carb - approach with a focus on what we call healthy carbs as opposed to processed carbs. I found myself wondering...

...if I follow this diet will I be healthier? Healthier than what? How healthy was I going to be? If I follow this diet will I live longer? Longer than what? How long was I going to live? If I follow this diet will I weigh less? Less than what? How much was I going to weigh? So much of life is a balancing act.

There are no definitive answers to these questions so I find myself thinking yes, based on what I know, I'm willing to accept that a low carb approach could be a healthy choice however, I'm not willing to live on salad and a piece of meat so that I'll live longer and be thinner than two unknown numbers. Perhaps, I'd rather give a few years and ten pounds to fuller taste and more living in the now. Do you know what I mean?




In a few months, I'm turning forty-nine and yet I've found myself thinking about turning fifty a lot lately. I try to imagine what life will be like at fifty, what I want it to be like, and whether that will be possible. I'm having trouble imagining.

When I turned forty, life bloomed shiny bright, filled with potential. As I approach fifty, life has dulled as if I'm in a tremendous rut with edges so high I can't see over the sides to find my way out. It's as if the practical approach necessary to life - the balancing of spending with earning, wants with needs - and the putting of others first, as mothers and wives do, has drained the light. I know some of this feeling has to do with the ending of my career and the closing of my business with what was a practical, bottom line, decision. Working at Fabricland does not substitute for that type of creativity.

In a few months, I will have been married for thirty years. I've been a parent for twenty-five. I've been the wife of a husband with compromised health for fifteen. My youngest son graduates in June. He's very uncertain what he wants to do and there is much tension as he struggles with that decision. When he talks about taking a year off, about having no plan, it sends me into a panic. I wonder when will it be my turn. Pragmatism is wearing thin. Is this typical mother?




Yesterday, I went shopping, indulging in some good old fashioned retail therapy. I bought a dozen of these lime green glasses, which were relatively, though not exorbitantly, expensive. We didn't need them. We already had more than enough glasses. I wanted them. I bought them and moved others out to put these on the shelf. How pretty they are. One of my sons will need those other glasses when they move out. I'll save them.




My living room is driving me crazy. It's huge and yet because of the size and proportions of my furniture, I can't move it around. The same furniture has been sitting in the same position for seven years now along with the same nick nacks on the same surfaces looking exactly the same. Not only is that enough to make me scream...

... we have a check couch and a floral chair, very country feeling from a completely different era of me. They no longer match who I am. If you understand what I mean by that statement, isn't it a strange feeling - that your house doesn't seem to reflect the real you any more?

Part of me wants to drive as quickly as possible to the nearest furniture store and buy a room full of unique and intriguing furniture. The practical part of me knows that isn't financially possible and couldn't be for a really long time. The in a rut part wonders when and if ever and how will I deal with never? In light of the tragedies in the world, this seems so self centered and inconsequential and yet it's a real and drowning feeling that has to be dealt with. I bought a new throw for the couch. It's a tiny stop gap.




A scary thing for me is how disinclined I am to sew. It's temporary - or at least previous experiences with disinclination lead me to believe it will be temporary. Yesterday, I tried on a whole bunch of high end, heavily discounted, clothing at a store downtown and walked away from it all for one flaw or another because I could do better myself. I just don't feel like it right now.

This stack of fabric on my counter is my from trip in February. It's sitting there because there's no room in the closet for it. I don't feel good about that. I feel somewhat guilty and like I need to give the closet a good clean. Doesn't that word just make you cringe - clean.

Outside, the snow is melting, the grass is visible, there are signs of spring. I find myself thinking about the need to wash the windows, and put another coat of paint on the doors, and clear the garden, and plant the flower pots, and weed, and water, and maintain, and I'm not that thrilled with the idea of spring. When I talked to my friend yesterday, she was feeling the exact same way. Aren't the cycles of life interesting? Twenty years ago, we'd have been ecstatic at the potential and now we see only the work.

SO... now that I've dumped and whined... is this normal for this stage of life? Have you experienced it? What advice do you have?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - ebb and flow

7 comments:

  1. I am soooooooooo right there with you on this one! My middle son (who was by my plan the LAST child but God saw fit to bless us with two surprise girls) graduates the end of May. I think of spring as holding all the work I need to do to get the yard and house ready for the party. UGH! And in September my eldest child gets married and it is a DIY wedding.... throw in the mix, leading Bible studies, mentoring young women from church, and all the gardening and canning that will need done and I am already exhausted! LOL!

    I will be 48 this year so I think you are on to something about the time of our life and how our outlook is different now!

    I am sure you will do as I will do.. charge on and get'er done!

    I love your new glasses and the throw! Beautiful! Maybe you could sew some slipcovers for the furniture? Eh, maybe not!

    Blessings-linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myrna -- yes, I think it's normal; at least it's been that way for me. I don't meet changes as enthusiastically as I did when I was a much younger woman. In fact, these days I tend to resent it; I get used to where things are in the grocery store, they change all the aisles around, I can't find anything and it adds time and frustration to the time I have to spend in there until I get the new map set in my head. AAARRRGGHH!!

    My flower garden is now a wild flower garden. Actually, it doesn't look that bad when I let it go au naturel and it's a lot less work! Just a snip here and there.

    My advice? Let it be. Go with the flow. Take each day the Lord gives you as it comes and thank Him for it.

    A couple of ideas for the furniture -- a company called Sure-Fit Slipcovers (http://www.surefit.net/)which makes slipcovers that fit sofas and chairs very nicely -- I've used them myself. They have a line now that is a very elastic fabric so that it fits nice and snug. They have lines for different styles and shapes of furniture. I think they have a website but I'm not sure what it is -- you might Google it. I can recommend them as a low-cost solution to changing the look of your furniture.

    Have you heard of Brave Girls Club? They have a website, blog, and will be starting an online workshop soon called "Soul Restoration". I am leaning toward signing up but haven't done it yet. I think they are http://www.bravegirlsclub.com/.

    Hugs, Charmion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be 53 this summer. Wow, it's freaky looking at that number. Maybe I should just say that I'm 52.

    I'm at a point where I want things to be simpler. I wish that all I owned were the things that I really need. My husband fusses at me when I try to throw things out or give them to Goodwill, so for now, I'm packing up everything that I don't need and putting it into the attic. It's helping, but there is still too much. It's terrible, but sometimes I wish my house would burn down so that I would be free to start over.

    I've also found myself unhappy being married. I miss being free. I was a single mother most of my life, being married is difficult.

    So, I guess I'm in full fledged mid-life crisis. I'm not old enough for hot flashes yet though; who knows what lies ahead once that starts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe this is just a period of late-winter blahs? It's been an especially hard one, I think. I'll be 53 later this year, and generally feel pretty positive, but there have been times...

    If it's warm enough in your area, consider getting outdoors and doing some walking. Perhaps some activity and fresh air would help. No expectations, just walk and breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'll join in this club of 50ish year old women. I turned 50 last year, but it didn't bother me like I thought. Not sure why.

    Control. Don't you all think life is harder when we feel we lack control over things? I think we tend to discount how things in the world impact us and our moods. Things like the weather, bad news, bad relationships, our hormones, poor diet, etc. Much of this is out of our control. And so we get grumpy, moody, disgruntled and so on.

    Diane - Please look into some good marriage counseling. My husband & I had big trouble. Last year we even separated for a few months. After that and some counseling, we are doing great! Many people prayed for us too, and I will pray for you. Life is too short to be miserable, so I hope you can get help. Do not lose heart!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. To all the ladies in their 50's. 60 and above is fabulous; I am approaching retirement from the business world. Soon I will be able to play in my Sewing Studio when ever I want to. I look forward to days of sewing clothing and finishing quilts. I have been more careful about my body and what I put into it. More than in my 50's I look forward to each day with a smile on my face.
    Hang in there and the blahs will fade away. I like the suggestion of getting outside and walking. Our Spring in Cincinnati is slow to come, but I see the daffodils getting ready to bloom and the forsythia is not far behind.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes.
    Oh - you wanted me to write more than that?!
    OK - I am a wee bit younger than you (46)and although I took my life by the ears and gave it a shake at 40, there is a definite sense that I am treading water now, waiting for something to happen: for my husband to die (awful but true!); for the kids to leave home; to be made redundant from work...
    But I am definitely making plans in the background. If X happens I will do Y; if W happens I will do Z. Meanwhile, lots of knitting and sewing! And ignore the weeds in the garden.
    And HUGS right back at you! ;)

    ReplyDelete