_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 18 March 2011

Squeezed Tight

Yesterday's posting had a record number of readers and a record number of comments. It seemed to touch a cord. THANK YOU for your thoughts and for sharing blogs in my age range. Surprisingly, I already knew about almost all of these so perhaps I'm more connected than I thought.

By connected I mean connected as in reading these blogs not connected as in I know these people. That's a strange aspect of the Internet. Blog postings only show one portion of a person's life, only what they're willing to share. It's not a complete picture. A close friend used to read my blog and base her actions on what I wrote thinking that if I was upbeat and happy in the blog posting, there was nothing else going on that I might need to talk about or if I said I was going to do X and Y that day, that I didn't have time for coffee even though she'd said she'd phone. I had to ask her to stop reading. It was creating all kinds of issues.

My first blog was to stay in contact with my textile art students. My second blog was to continue writing and sharing each day while changing the topic to fashion sewing. In the hierarchy of activities that I enjoy, writing comes before sewing, reading, and knitting. Perhaps that's why I'm able to find time each week to write. It's not because I have way more time than most people. It's that writing is something for me. Thinking of what I could write about makes me more aware. I like that.

I'd originally hoped that blogging would lead to friendships around fashion sewing and in a very few instances it has but distance makes it difficult to connect on any real level plus, I'm biased from having been hurt quite badly by two Internet friendships gone wrong. I've been learning to settle for blogging as a predominately one way exchange. That's not my nature. I really enjoy people. I especially enjoy enabling them to their best.

Moira's comment - ... b) I find the "style" aspect of blogging intimidating and (sometimes and in some bloggers only) irritatingly narcissistic. - is something I've worried about. In talking about my life and fashion sewing, I want the intent and context to be sharing and caring and not oh how wonderful am I. That would be an easy line to cross.




One of the conversations we had when I was teaching textile art was around how vulnerable is the artist. My students worried that in sharing their feelings through their work they would be baring their souls to the audience. In response, I would show them this piece - Squeezed Tight - and ask them to tell me what they thought it was about. I'd get responses everywhere from water to prisons. Not one student ever came up with the right answer, which is that wonderful feeling you get when your children come up behind you, wrap their arms around you, and squeeze tight.

What that conversation illustrates is that we view life through our own paradigms. Our past experiences and whatever we are currently dealing with in our life at the moment heavily influence what we are reading or viewing, which means that we can completely take out of context what the author is writing.

sdBev wrote - ... but your post was heart wrenching. I think you're feeling the approach of a certain birthday.

I found this reaction really interesting. Reading over the paragraph that I wrote about Carolyn, I couldn't find anything heart wrenching about it, just facts. She does have a tremendous amount of clothing. She does take amazing photographs. She is very confident in front of the camera. She does have an extensive selection of accessories. I do find it both intimidating and inspirational. That's just truth for me and I'm sure for other people reading blogs. My only intent was to say I bet we have this in common because it's "normal".

Birthdays will come whether you want them or not. I've never had a problem with my age or telling people my age. It's only a number. More important to me is what I do with my life, taking time to celebrate, and being sure to use milestones as opportunities to evaluate and redirect where necessary. There has been a lot of grieving in my life over various things in the past three years. It's tiring. I want to be done with that.

Turning fifty (in 2012) is not turning five. It is in the last half of life, not the first half. Not that it will happen to me but deafness, blindness, and dementia run in my family along with other heart and stroke issues. When I think about ages 50-60, I realize these could be the freest years of my life, after the primary child raising years, and before the possibly not so healthy years.

I am excited about that possibility. It's time for me to bloom and grow in new ways. I'm not at all tolerant of issues that stand in my way, which does create some tension that will need to be dealt with. I had a chat about that last night at dinner - with the men in my life. In particular, I explained that I am not an unpaid maid and I won't be making your life easy at the expense of mine. I bet a lot of women can relate to that.




LOL - back to sewing. Apparently the way to deal with the guilt of the fabric stack on the counter is to sew it up. This is another piece that I bought while on holiday - at Dress Sew. It's quite atypical for me. The background is a mottled yellow/pink hand dyed look embellished with tiny rows of ruffles and fuzzy thread. The ruffles are two inches apart with the fuzzy thread in the middle.




Along each selvage, there was a wide unembellished section. Because the fabric has four way stretch, I was able to trim this off and use it for the neck binding.




I serge the binding on right sides together, turn it to the wrong side, and stitch it in place. Typically, I use a double needle to do that placing the left needle in the ditch and the right one on the binding. Due to the move, Fabricland is out of double needles so I resorted to a narrow zigzag. The prefect matching thread is a dusty pink. That lets me know for sure that this top is atypical. I'm not a dusty anything kind of girl.

The serger was threaded with black. I tried a sample to see if changing the thread was necessary. The black showed through so I used white instead. The serging cuts the seam allowance to an even width and provides a sturdy edge to turn over so even though it's not seen, it adds wonderful advantages to the neck line.

Lorrie wrote - While a number of younger women are sewing beautifully, there are many whose techniques are not up to the standard that someone who has years of experience wants and expects.

Sampling is such an important part of learning and of getting the look. I see this with fashion sewing and I saw it with textile art. So many people are in such a hurry that they don't take the few minutes needed to create a sample, test their idea, and figure out what to do. In the end, sampling builds technique, skills, quality workmanship, and creative ideas. It's so worth it.




Here's the t-shirt so far. The base is my T & T pattern which started life way long ago as New Look 6735. I just need to stitch the side seams and then press and stitch the hems in place. I'll do that today and wear it to work tomorrow although I'm not sure what with. I'll need to look through my wardrobe to find an appropriate lower garment... or maybe I'll sew one - VBG.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - warm morning sunshine

7 comments:

  1. What a fun little shirt, I think we all need to step out of our comfort zone once in a while with a novelty fabric. And I agree, 100%, test and sample techniques on the current fabric to achieve the best result. I test needles, thread and stitches before I proceed. Sometimes I add those to my project book for future reference. As an explanation, I use composition books and keep track of work and progress. As they fill up, I label and date them and they go into the bookshelf. I have referenced them many times over the years. Just my little process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shirt is SO lovely! I'm ready to give it a good home if you realise that it isn't you

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful spring coloured top you made. It will look great with any dark coloured skirt or trouser, even jeans.

    I have been spending a lot of time lately looking at stabilizer for embroidery. I am finding some interesting things about it through trial and error. Learning is a journey, not a race (my mantra for years).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun fabric and I love the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are sooooo right about sampling...how else will you know if a technique will work if you don't make a sample! Another very interesting post, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to come back and comment on your post yesterday, but I didn't have a chance. So, here I am today. I am almost 59 and I have been blogging for 3 years. I love blogging and "meeting" other bloggers. I don't sew for myself, though. I only sew children's clothing, mostly for my grands. However, I am trying to get up the nerve to start sewing for myself again. Fitting is my biggest issue.
    I enjoy your blog. I love the shirt in this post.
    I like to use the trial and error approach when I am learning something new, or making something up on my own.
    The narcissist comment made me stop and wonder if that's how I come across in my blog. I sure hope not! I am going to have to reevaluate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow. Your "narcissist" comment made me stop and think too, especially as you mentioned me... I'm very happy if you find my blog inspiring, but I certainly don't intend to be overwhelming! You're probably right that I have too many clothes! but the truth is that I really do love sewing and just can't help myself but to be sewing something regularly, coupled with that I have problems throwing old stuff out!
    Plus the reason I am posting a daily photograph lately is that this month I am participating in MeMade March and that is the goal we in the group have all set ourselves, to wear clothing made by ourselves and to document it for the month of March. It is a project conceived by Zoe of "So Zo..." aimed at raising awareness of how we CAN sew successfully for ourselves and to provide support and encouragement to each other in having the bravery to wear our own stuff. For some seamstresses, this is a challenge if they don't feel their own handiwork is "good enough"
    I'm also not sure if you realised, but I do fit into that age group that you mentioned too...
    Reading through your thoughts, you seem torn between being "a minimalist", and "wanting to get to the really creative things", maybe it is this dichotomy that is paralysing you? Don't worry too much about your "list". Just make a start. Make something. Choose the thing you want the most, or the fabric you are most excited about at that current moment. We always work fastest and have more success with projects we are truly excited about. If you've identified a hole in your wardrobe, just fill it, without worrying about items further down the list you have in your mind. Just take it one project at at time... and enjoy each one while you are doing it. Above all, fashion should be enjoyable, and we sew because we choose to create it for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete