_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 31 March 2011

Home - Alone - In The Studio

Home. Alone. What a lovely day this will be. Even if I never manage to climb out of my curl up chair and spend all day as a lump by the window, I'm looking forward to it. Yesterday was so warm (18 Celsius) that I was hoping for a walk this morning only last night, on the news, they were predicting snow. Go figure. Oh well. Either way works for me. I'll be home - alone - in the studio.

The move has reached the desperate search for boxes to throw the last bits and pieces into stage. Actually, we've been scrounging for boxes the entire time - and tape - and felt pens - and bags - and paper. It's been somewhat frustrating but somehow came together. We've all been working incredibly hard and have the aches and pains and bruises to show for it. Tomorrow morning, I go to work at the new location which we hear is not quite ready. This could get interesting. Everything from the old store will be coming in the front door and the first of several shipments - just 750 pieces this time - will be coming in the back door. I know nothing about receiving. I may be learning.

This morning, I'm using the "new" editor for Blogger. It's not new new, just new to me. When it first came out, pictures wouldn't load easily so I went back to the "old" editor version. After emailing Debbie Cook several times yesterday - THANK YOU Debbie - I can insert the code to get line breaks with the old version but decided I should try this version and see if I could figure it out.

I'm figuring out new software all over the place. Four days later and my desktop is still not functioning my way and I'm debating looking for a more user friendly operating system especially after what Debbie told me about browsers. All these Word products seem to get more and more convoluted every time I update. Right now, Internet Explorer keeps wanting to close down so I'm working from my lap top. Go figure. So much for upgrading.

Isn't learning funny? I tend to think of myself as an adventurous person who likes to try new experiences only I'm not really. I'm adventurous only to a point. There are huge portions of my life that I want to run like clockwork in a safe, predictable, functioning way - like my car, and my computer, and my kitchen, and my sewing machine - providing essential, background, support for the things I want and need to do. Within that framework, I love to learn about subjects I enjoy. Not so much about subjects I don't enjoy.

I'm reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin - on my e-book, which took me quite a while to figure out and get comfortable with. I still can't download a book from wherever, only from my computer, because I haven't learned that trick yet. I have learned that I don't mind reading romances on my e-book but that, with a book like this, I would prefer the hard copy in my hands so that I could refer to different sections and pull out quotes easily. That kind of learning is relatively easy. The book is fabulous by the way. I'm only on Chapter four but enjoying the way it makes me think.



I brought home a Vogue and a Burda fall/winter catalogue last night. Surprisingly - or not so surprisingly - I already own a lot of the patterns that intrigued me although I did fold down a few pages. kAtheRine Tilton's work intrigues me far more than her sister's does. Her designs seem to have (slightly) more fitting or at least more shape as with Vogue 8691 which reminds me both of a top I tried on in Nanaimo and of a top from Anthropologie that Summerset highlighted yesterday in her Make The Look series. I'd link you through only I can't pick up the exact link at her blog.



This is my T & T t-shirt pattern with all it's versions stuffed into a ziplock bag. As you can see, it's slightly trashed. While debating what easy task I could do today that would inspire creativity without straining my brain too much, I've decided to make clean copies and draft some new lines from inspirational sites like Anthropologie and from the patterns in my collection. Other patterns. Imagine using them. What a concept! As you can tell by my somewhat uninspiring writing, I'm quite tired. Hopefully I'll have something more interesting to share tomorrow.

Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - a day off - sort of successfully using the new editor even though I had to insert two breaks with html code and one isn't working.

5 comments:

  1. Home Alone In the Studio

    How inspiring. A day to collect your thoughts and get inspiration in a familiar and inviting location.

    Hope you get everything done that you want to do and everything done that you didn't know you wanted to do.

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing what new lines you draft with your TNT patterns. That's the creative direction I want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went on a quilt studio tour today and one of the quilters said she had taken your Studio Makeover class online and remarked how helpful it was. Do you still teach this class or have the teaching materials available?
    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have this pattern (your T&T tshirt) but I've avoided it because some reviews said it was low-cut. Did you find that to be the case?

    ReplyDelete