_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 24 March 2011

Detached Pockets

One of the women shopping in Fabricland yesterday was wearing a dress with a different fabric at center back. The same fabric was used at the front yoke and for a binding around the hem. I'm sewing a skirt so it's different but not. How weird is that?

I thought I was working on an original idea but it was obviously triggered by something that also triggered this woman's idea. Thinking back, I remember being downtown a few weeks ago, in a women's shop, and the sales clerk showed my friend and I a dress that had a completely different fabric on the front as the back. She said it was a new trend. I didn't like it. The two fabrics didn't go together in any way and looked jarring I thought but... obviously something stuck and tickled.




Before work yesterday, I serger finished the seam allowances on all the skirt pieces and then stitched the front and back sections together and pressed the seams. Last night, I cut, stitched, and pressed the binding and attempted to insert the invisible zipper. It's great except that the stitching is not close enough to the teeth. The Unique Invisible Zipper Foot comes with instructions on how to sew a zipper and none on how to put together and use the foot. How ridiculous is that? It looks like I only need to move the needle over but I'll check for a YouTube video and see what I can learn first. It wouldn't hurt.




In thinking about what I would have to do to purchase the fuchsia purse I was telling you about - the one with the lime green lining and the single cavity - it occurred to me that if I abandoned the search for purses with the perfect number of pockets and instead bought purses that had one zippered outside pocket for my keys and one large inside pocket, I could then divide the contents into sub purses each in a different color making it easy to change purses and know which contents were in which "pocket". I'd simply pull out the sub purses - which are really detached pockets - and transfer them to the next purse. Quick and easy. What took me so long? I love purses. I hate changing contents. This could work.

Sewing purses is incredibly popular. I'm amazed by the number of women who come into Fabricland, pattern in hand, looking for purse fabric. Perhaps, it's because purses are so darn expensive. This afternoon, I'm taking my pile of purse patterns over to my friend's so we can discuss what she's going to sew. I have nine patterns, only because I weeded out a few that were never going to happen. Nine purse patterns. I've never even sewn one. All the purses I have sewn have been my own design. It might be good to actually use one of these. Go figure. What an idea.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - Today is the perfect day of the month to not be going to work. Such wonderful timing.

4 comments:

  1. Myrna
    I started sewing purses about 2 years ago, little less. I did so because I could not find a RTW purse that satisfied me. They were all too something. Too big, too small too many pockets, too few.... you get the drift. I now have more purses in my closet then I've in my entire life. It is an addictive but rewarding project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Detached pockets...I thought of this just last week when I bought a one pocket summer purse at a thrift store. Who could leave a Sak bag for $3 even if it didn't have the appropriate number of pockets. It even came with a little matching detached pocket. That's what got me started thinking. Of course, I haven't switched it over yet, because I *hate* switching all the contents. Detached pockets... that may be just the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you search for "purse organizer insert" on ebay you'll see some cool things that pop in and out of whatever purse you want--which could give you free rein to create purse "shells" w/o even bothering with pockets and such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go to http://www.thegivingflower.de/patterns/Purse_Organizer_Recipe18_11.pdf and you will find a cute purse organizer. I hope to make one of them one day as I want to make myself a couple of handbags.

    Hope you have a great day sewing.

    ReplyDelete