_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 11 March 2011

Again In Black

Success! At last! The fabric is one of the ones bought at Fabricana on my holiday. When I showed it to Caroline, she said it was "so you", an interesting comment since I thought it was quite different.




I edged the neck and sleeves in black to help separate the print from my skin somewhat. You've probably noticed that I rarely wear prints and that when I do, they're typically monochromatic. Otherwise, the print seems to take over and my face is lost, which is exactly what my daughter mentioned yesterday when we were discussing how horrible the pink leopard version looked on me although her take was more along the lines of leopard on a woman my age makes me look like I'm trying too hard - LOL.




The only adjustment I made to the draft was to take 1 1/4" off the bottom of the upper bodice at center front curving back into the existing seam line. The extra fabric created a pouch. The t-shirt turned out so well that I'm sewing it again in black.

Last year, I sewed a series of black t-shirts using the same fabric. Unfortunately, it faded quickly which was not only annoying but means that I need to sew some more. I've read several times on blogs that t-shirts are so cheap and so easy to buy that why bother sewing them. I've only ever found one brand at Costco that fits me half decent. Otherwise, my sewn ones are so significantly better that I'd rather sew them than buy them - even if making a bunch of black ones - again - is boring. Perhaps, if I intersperse them with colors, it could help.




On the 3rd, I ordered some more eye-glasses from Zenni Optical and they came yesterday. Such quick service. I wanted a whole bunch of the same frame for reading glasses so I could leave one pair at work and scatter the rest around my life and know instantly that those were for reading. I chose a turquoise frame and then bought a couple more pairs for distance vision. The ones above caught my eye because they looked like the right lime green on-line. In real life, it's more yellowish than I'd like and because the yellow is on the inside of the frame, it creates a glow around my eyes. I'm not sure how well that part looks however, since the colors match my new t-shirt so exactly, I'll wear them at least once... to work... today. We'll see what happens. What fun!

I'm working eight hours tonight - the closing shift - and then again on Sunday so it's a mostly work weekend. The black t-shirt is pinned ready to cut out. Hopefully I have time to sew it.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a successful project

7 comments:

  1. I totally relate to your statement about prints next to the face. I had indeed noticed, through your posts, that you rarely wear them next to your face. I feel the same because I have freckles. I think they compete with the print. Family and friends think I am silly but unless the print is small and repetitive, it doesn't work for me. This T is so cute. I like the lines and the print is beautiful. Hope you have a good week-end, don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I like to sew tees as well. RTW is so boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to chat for a bit yesterday. And glad to hear that your project turned out.
    I love the readers - so you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful t-shirt. I love the print. I also prefer to sew t-shirts because of the fitting problem. Besides, they are quick to sew and only a little boring. I usually sew them after a challenging project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great top! And those glasses are WOW!! I make my Ts too-a fresh batch every spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you kept those shirts that the color faded on, you could throw them into a wash with dark dye and see if that revives them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours in your t-shirt and the glasses too!

    ReplyDelete