_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 21 March 2011

Fabric - Strategically Pinned

Saturday, getting ready for work, I put on my new t-shirt, did my hair and make-up, and promptly took it off. Whatever it is that is couched between the rows of ruffles is incredibly ITCHY even with a camisole underneath. If I had worn it to work, I'd have been in danger of ripping it off and wrapping myself up in fabric, strategically pinned. I'm not sure that's the dress code they have in mind - LOL.

Carolyn wrote: .... I'm very happy if you find my blog inspiring, but I certainly don't intend to be overwhelming! You're probably right that I have too many clothes! but the truth is that I really do love sewing and just can't help myself but to be sewing something regularly, coupled with that I have problems throwing stuff out. ........ Reading through your thoughts, you seem torn between being a minimalist and wanting to get to the really creative things. Maybe it is this dichotomy that is paralysing you?

Thanks for posting a comment Carolyn. I don't actually think you have too many clothes. I think you have a wonderful collection of clothes that show a wide range of creativity. It appears as if your sizing and shape has stayed relatively the same for a very long time. If that was true for me, I'd have a MUCH larger collection as I've loved to sew forever. Thirty years ago, I weighed under 100 pounds. Twenty years ago, I weighed barely over 100 pounds. Ten years ago, I weighed significantly over 100 pounds. Last year, I weighed less than I do now. It's a frustration in terms of developing any kind of core - year to year - wardrobe.

My words last week somehow managed to hit a cord while being misinterpreted at the same time. At the risk of sounding defensive, it's not that I'm sitting in my studio crying my eyes out because I'm overwhelmed, paralyzed, and intimidated. I'm also highly inspired. On numerous blogs, I see gorgeous photography and abundant garments and fabulous accessories and a little part of me is jumping up and down screaming me too! That's me too to everything including the inspiration and sense of style. Admitting that out loud was meant to reassure and to keep company with others who might feel that way. It's just natural while it might appear somewhat envious.

While I'm amazed by the number of dresses she owns, reading Carolyn's blog - Diary of a Sewing Fanatic - with the many variations of her T & T pattern thoroughly illustrated why I should spend time developing T & T patterns. Because of her inspiration, I've done that with a t-shirt and a skirt pattern and even with my fluctuating size, I can adapt those patterns and keep on keeping on. I'm working on a T & T pant and dress patterns. Sometimes, I don't talk about those journeys because I know that my fanaticism with fit can be both inspiring and intimidating to other sewists.... and boring in too much detail.

You're right about the dichotomy between minimalist and an extensive wardrobe. I've talked about that in other postings. It is a contradictory pull that creates both confusion and fascination. I'm not sure there's a definitive answer as I've never reached the point of having to make one because I've never managed to acquire an extensive enough wardrobe where I'd have to address the question more fully.




Carolyn wrote - ... may I suggest that you purchase a few more of the basics and sew the creative stuff. That's what I do and I'm much more satisfied with my sewing that way.

I would love to. On Friday, I went to Costco to see if they had any of the t-shirts that fit me not half bad. They did. This year's version is longer which is quite nice. Unfortunately, it's also narrower. The medium fit nicely through the shoulders and and clung to every bump and curve over my stomach and hips. The large fit my hips and hung off my shoulders. Because I'm petite through the upper chest, the underarm is already an 1" too low. This usually prevents me from buying tank tops. They're exposingly low. In the case of these t-shirts, with the extra shoulder width, I look frumpy and fat. I alternate between wanting to take the time to go from store to store trying on all the t-shirts and thinking why bother, just sew them. I've had years of this frustration and sometimes I do find something that fits but more often I don't and then all that time is wasted. And that's just with t-shirts.

My body changes three sizes between the shoulder and hips plus I'm petite through the armhole and the hip depth meaning that every garment is disproportionate and I like things that fit well. Some knits work. Most wovens don't. Finding RTW clothes that fit is a HUGE struggle. I know that's one of the reasons my wardrobe was reduced to jeans and a black t-shirt for most of the twenty years I wasn't sewing fashions. Between fluctuating sizes and impossible purchases, that was the safe route and then became the rut.




This morning, I linked through to Rags Against The Machine where the author wrote - While I like to think that my dress in some manner reflected the received values of feminism, it has also reflected a variety of other influences and more often than not, our truest sense of style cannot be reflected for lack of funds, for lack of occasion to wear it, for lack of awareness. Our clothing choices are never absolutely dictated by our values, but tend to be an intersection of many factors in our lives.

How true. You can't find it. You can't afford it. You don't fit it. You haven't time to sew it. Where would you wear it? Does it suit my current lifestyle? Is it really me? It's me but...?

Many, many times I don't purchase and wear the clothing I'd like to because I can't afford it or because I can't rationalize the price. There's a fabulous combination shop downtown owned by a mother and daughter. The mother's side is home decor. The daughter's side is jewelry and accessories. The other day, there were gorgeous lace tights ($45.00), button up shoes ($500.00), a necklace ($275.00), and a fuchsia purse with a lime green lining ($62.00). Only the purse had a possibility of being bought and yet that's too much for me to pay for a purse with no inner pockets even though the colour is very me although.... it still niggles and it may happen. It would mean more purses within the purse to divide my things which seems sort of silly and would be a lot of work every time I wanted to change over. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't bother which would mean the purse just sat there... a waste.




Accessories - and particularly necklaces - are one way that I express myself. When I saw this one above, I knew right away that it was perfect to go with the ruffled fabric from Fabricana. The fabric was inexpensive. The necklace was not. Sometimes, you see something and it clicks and you just know it's right. The purse only sort of clicks. It's not quite right so I'm not making that investment. This necklace clicked immediately. I bought it. I'll wear it over and over for years because "it's so Myrna" as my friend said.




This necklace was less expensive only because it was on sale 50% off when I visited my favourite dress shop in Nanaimo in February. It has a lovely weighted feel. I've worn it quite a few times since and know that it too will be a lifetime piece.

Today, I absolutely must go grocery shopping. It occurred to me that I have not done a thorough grocery shop since I bought my new car in early January. I've been so busy with adjusting to my job that I haven't had time. We've been making do and picking up and now one of us needs to go only Howard is even busier than me over the next few weeks and the boys don't do this kind of shopping. It's my turn. And then, I'd like to clean my studio and think about what next.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - grocery stores with selection and safe(r) foods

2 comments:

  1. Oh Myrna - this is so me. Nothing in the stores fits - or at least not the way I would like it to. So I spend time making those basics because I can get them to fit much better. And I have that same fluctuating weight problem. Right now I have a closet full of clothes in multiple sizes and I'm never sure which ones are going to fit. And I have trouble keeping up with which pattern was used to make which garment, so it can be difficult to remake something that is working right now.

    You have a great sense of planning and organization, and I'm anxious to hear more about how you create a wardrobe that works.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post! I've been singularly obsessed for the last five years sewing a wardrobe for work because the dress code was so different from any other place I've ever worked. Luckily I've been able to buy basics. I didn't realize that purchasing basics were such a challenge for you. So if I may, have you thought about stacking and whacking some basics. Taking your tank top pattern or tshirt pattern and layering it on top of several cuts of fabric and then sewing.

    I did this years ago when my kids were small and I had more limited funds. Not only did I gain some much needed basics but I also learned about fit and fabric while fine tuning my TNT patterns.

    Sewing is such a journey and it seems that the road stretches for miles with so much to learn. BTW, thanks for the compliments on my dresses. I think I own so many because I like wearing them so much! Also now that I've got the fit down, it is so much fun just to play with the pattern! I hope your creative journey leads you to this place soon.

    ReplyDelete