_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 26 May 2011

After The Fact

Everything went as planned.... sort of. Once the lace was pinned to the lining, the lowest spot was only 3/4" below so I trimmed to that point, sewed on the bias, and pinned the miles and miles of edge in place.




Only as I was hand stitching did it occur to me that I could have patched the low point and had the lace hang much lower - like I'd wanted. Oh well... a little late.




Finished, the lace hem is not much longer than the lining. Why is it that the right answer always comes to us after the fact? Hopefully, next time I need to know this, I remember. Either way, the hem is done, the dress is finished, AND... it's wearable.

There was some interesting learning with this dress that I'm not sure I want to explore. I've been tracing a size fourteen for the shoulders and armhole, tapering the side seam out at the waist and hips however, I often end up narrowing the back and flattening the sides at the underarm taking it in. With all the changes I'd made to the muslin, when I traced my final copy and compared it to the original pattern pieces, I'd sewn a size twelve at the side seams at the underarm. Now, I'm wondering if a size twelve with a D cup is "my" size. I may test that theory with one of Simplicity's Amazing Fit blouse patterns. Later. Right now, I don't need any new theories to explore.

AND... I seem to have lost a day. That's what happens with long weekends. I started sewing the Burda skirt on Monday night and finished it Tuesday afternoon. It really is quick and easy to sew.

On the news last night, there was an update on the situation in Japan and more information about the tornado devastation in Joplin including over seventy new toronados that formed across the mid United States yesterday. It's scary. And real. And makes anything else you could say seem rather trivial. I'm reminded to do what I can - to pray - to donate to the Red Cross - both.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that even more people have not been killed or impacted directly

1 comment:

  1. M: That hem is beautiful! I love the tape on the edges.

    ReplyDelete